Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Has Major Flaw From Fast Charging

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha, yes ingress will definitely wipeout a charge pretty quickly. As for the comments more quickly, I noticed now that was actually in the OP. The problem is more quickly really does have a place in the description of certain situations. You could change more quickly to just simply faster, but when something is much faster and you're trying to compare with something that is fast but a little slower, more quickly is a better description. It's kind of the same as saying faster still or still faster or even faster. Like the three runners you have one that's fast you have one that's faster and you have one that's even faster, or quick and quicker and even more quickly. So although I'm not saying you're wrong, it's an acceptable grammar and although it may be a pet peeve of yours it can help to put a clear picture in the minds of people trying to understand.
This is very true @FoxKat. You must always look at the context of the sentence and the paragraph. "More quickly," is actually preferred in certain situations. ;)

It looks like @PereDroid needs some "retraining" as a grammar cop! :D

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Ok, it may be legal, but "quicker" sounds better to me then "more quickly". Its less syllables, too.

TapaTurbo

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
When I plug it into my Samsung charger (the wall wart) it indicates on my phone that an adaptive fast charging charger has been detected.

When I plug in my iPad wall wart it does not give the notification, but charges just as quickly. That makes me wonder if it will stop fast charging at the eighty percentile mark and reduce back down to the trickle charging or will it keep giving the gas all the way to 100 percent?
I would guess it'll keep giving 'er til the end. One reason why they suggest not using other chargers.

Sent from my Note 4

I would tend to agree with @Jonny Kansas , and furthermore I would bet that the temperatures of the battery will be hot for a greater range of the charging curve, however may not reach the high temperatures that the "Adaptive Fast Charging" wall wart my produce.

The current is only part of the equation. The voltage is another. In at least the Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0, there are two higher voltages and current levels that trigger the QuickCharge 2.0 process. In the case of the iPad charger, it may produce 2.1A, but it's still at 5V, so it will not trigger the algorythm for the Adaptive Fast Charging on your device (as you've confirmed), and won't start QuickCharge 2.0 (or 1.0), on mine. Charging at higher voltages "pushes" the charging process, whereas charging at higher currents only "allows" the battery to take current as fast as it can electrochemically can process it. Higher voltages will increase the temperature much quicker, but the algorythm may be set to "burst" the higher voltages for short periods of time, then fall back to the lower voltages so it can pull the higher current levels.

I really don't know all the inner-workings of the process, and I'm sure that neither Qualcomm nor Samsung want us to know (patented processes), but I would have to guess that even though it SEEMS to charge at the same rate with the iPad charger as it does with the stock Adaptive Fast Charging wall wart, it probably doesn't charge at the same rate through the entire curve of charge. In other words, the Adaptive Fast Charging (and also the QuickCharge 2.0), process is designed to pump large amounts of current into the battery over a short period, but in the case of a full charge, they will both result in reaching 100% charge at about the same time as a standard high-current charger will. It's not how fast it charges completely, but how fast it adds a large percentage through the middle of the charge curve that's going to be the most significant difference.

For instance, Turbo Charging is advertised as being able to pump 8 hours of power into the Droid Turbo in only 15 minutes. I guarantee you that the iPad charger will not do that for my Droid Turbo. It most likely will not do that for your Samsung device either.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok, it may be legal, but "quicker" sounds better to me then "more quickly". Its less syllables, too.

TapaTurbo

More quickly or quicker

From the co-founder of English-Test.net, Mr. "Alan", when asked the following question;

"I often read phrases such as 'you can do that quicker' or 'this will calm you down quicker'.
According to the grammar books this wrong - it should be 'you can do that more quickly' and 'this will calm you down more quickly', shouldn't it?"​

...responded with the following;

"Yes, you're right - according to the grammar books it should be 'more quickly' but then in speech 'quicker' is less of a mouthful than 'more quickly' and so it has now passed into common use. There is one expression where this is now widespread: The quicker you do it, the better or as it is shortened to: the quicker, the better."
There are plenty of additional references which confirm and substantiate this claim in literature.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to chime in here. The accelerometer in my S6 Edge is fried! This phone has gone from the coolest phone I have ever used to the most annoying phone ever. You really don't know how much you use auto rotate on a daily basis until you no longer have it. I tried to look for a widget that would maybe float around so i could rotate my screen when i need too. Not finding a good solution. I went to Verizon at 8:05 this evening and of course they closed at 8:00.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I just wanted to chime in here. The accelerometer in my S6 Edge is fried! This phone has gone from the coolest phone I have ever used to the most annoying phone ever. You really don't know how much you use auto rotate on a daily basis until you no longer have it. I tried to look for a widget that would maybe float around so i could rotate my screen when i need too. Not finding a good solution. I went to Verizon at 8:05 this evening and of course they closed at 8:00.
That sucks. So sorry for you.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Agreed, bummer for sure. Wonder how Sammy intends to rectify this? Massive auto recall, replace as needed or what? There's goes their profit margin for this device. Is this only happening on the Edge variation of the S6, or both versions?

S5 tap'n

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+

TapaTurbo
Try the word "faster", roll it round your mouth a few times.
Don't forget that there is English, as spoken by the English, and there are mistakes. :D

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Faster is great. But no one is going to convince me "more faster" sounds better in any situation. ;)

TapaTurbo

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
Americans have a habit of adding unnecessarily words.
Eg... Swap out, the word swap covers it, the word out being unnecessary.

As you have already said more quickly is an example of unnecessary extra words.

Quicker means exactly the same thing, my suggestion of "faster" was my lame attempt at humor.

However my suggestion that there is English and then there are mistakes is valid as Americans tend to mangle the language.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Are we really having ANOTHER English lesson?
LOL

S5 tap'n
Yes...

Weekly Language Usage Tips quicker or more quickly comparative adjectives and adverbs decimal points and percents Language Usage Weblog

"So, let’s go back to the sentence that triggered this review of adjectives and adverbs.

Experienced team members perform tasks much quicker and produce higher quality results than less experienced team members.

“Quicker’ is modifying the verb ‘perform’ which makes it an adverb, right? And, if we follow the rules of thumb above, it is a short word of one syllable and it does not end in ‘ly,’ so we add an ‘er,’ and ‘quicker’ is correct, right?

Well, not really. Here’s why: “Quick’ is an adjective that modifies a noun; however, the adverb form is ‘quickly,’ and ‘quickly’ does end with an ‘ly.’ We then follow the rule, above, which states that we form the comparative by adding ‘more’ to the adverb that ends in ‘ly.’ So the comparative adverb is ‘more quickly.’

Experienced team members perform tasks much more quickly and produce higher quality results than less experienced team members.

And that’s the story."

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
uploadfromtaptalk1430693950219.jpeg

Tapped by NexusSix

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
What was the topic again?
Oyea. ;)
Found myself at the mall today. Stopped in the Best Buy Mobile store to finally see these devices in person.
O. M. G.
I'm impressed. They are both slightly smaller then my Turbo. Love that. Both feel great in the hand.
I like how you can scroll pages on the Edge by, well, using the edge. Although it was faster just using the screen.
If I was looking at this phone and the Turbo side by side right now deciding which to buy...I'd lean toward the S6.
However, I think my next phone will still be the next LG. I want to go back to removable batteries.

TapaTurbo