Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Has Major Flaw From Fast Charging

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have an external battery that has two USB outputs. One is for normal charging and one is for fast charging. They should just bake it into the phones.

OK, so I think we may be confusing either ourselves or other members regarding the higher rate outputs of some chargers versus true "Rapid Charging" such as "Quick Charge 2.0" from Qualcomm (also known as "Turbo Charging" in the case of the Droid Turbo from Motorola), or the Samsung version of the same.

Quick Charging or Samsung's version both utilize not only higher current rates, but also either 2 or even three different voltages (as is the case with Quick Charge 2.0), and the charger and phone recognize each other and this triggers the rapid charging. The Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 charging process utilizes the three different voltages and amperages to set stages of charging rates. In the case of the Motorola Turbo, they've custom labeled them but they still meet the Quick Charge 2.0 standard. The three voltages/amperages are super-fast (AKA Turbo 2) at 12 Volts, 1.2 Amps, fast (AKA Turbo 1) at 9 Volts, 1.6 Amps, and Standard which is 5V 1.6 Amps (and also trickle).

Turbo Charger (2).PNG (click picture for enlarged view)

I have a portable charger like you mention and it has a 1 Amp and a 2 Amp port on it. This is not the same thing. Unless it says "Quick Charge 2.0" or something to that effect, the phone will only use whatever the maximum current load is specified by the phone (and battery) manufacturer, and will only draw as much current as it is capable of using. If the phone and battery are only capable of receiving 5V at 1.2A, then plugging into the 1A jack will charge slightly slower, and plugging into the 2A jack will only give it 1.2A.

Samsung created their own method of "Quick Charge" so they wouldn't have to use the Qualcomm processor and pay those royalties. This is a different technology but essentially operates the same way. Neither system will "Quick Charge" with an external battery pack or other third party charger, like mentioned above unless it is designed with that specific technology in mind.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
OK, so I think we may be confusing either ourselves or other members regarding the higher rate outputs of some chargers versus true "Rapid Charging" such as "Quick Charge 2.0" from Qualcomm (also known as "Turbo Charging" in the case of the Droid Turbo from Motorola), or the Samsung version of the same.

Quick Charging or Samsung's version both utilize not only higher current rates, but also either 2 or even three different voltages (as is the case with Quick Charge 2.0), and the charger and phone recognize each other and this triggers the rapid charging. The Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 charging process utilizes the three different voltages and amperages to set stages of charging rates. In the case of the Motorola Turbo, they've custom labeled them but they still meet the Quick Charge 2.0 standard. The three voltages/amperages are super-fast (AKA Turbo 2) at 12 Volts, 1.2 Amps, fast (AKA Turbo 1) at 9 Volts, 1.6 Amps, and Standard which is 5V 1.6 Amps (and also trickle).

View attachment 74762 (click picture for enlarged view)

I have a portable charger like you mention and it has a 1 Amp and a 2 Amp port on it. This is not the same thing. Unless it says "Quick Charge 2.0" or something to that effect, the phone will only use whatever the maximum current load is specified by the phone (and battery) manufacturer, and will only draw as much current as it is capable of using. If the phone and battery are only capable of receiving 5V at 1.2A, then plugging into the 1A jack will charge slightly slower, and plugging into the 2A jack will only give it 1.2A.

Samsung created their own method of "Quick Charge" so they wouldn't have to use the Qualcomm processor and pay those royalties. This is a different technology but essentially operates the same way. Neither system will "Quick Charge" with an external battery pack or other third party charger, like mentioned above unless it is designed with that specific technology in mind.

I will test this out the next time I have to use my battery pack. It will output between 1A and 3.1A depending on which USB outputs you plug your phone into.

I'm fairly certain that it will trigger the fast charging mode on my Note Edge. My i6 Plus will also charge faster if I use my iPad wall wart so I will also test if it charges the i6 faster.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Foxcat REALLY making me regret getting a Turbo....

And stop with the overuse of the word MORE. Pet Peeve #2,764

"More Quickly" should just be QUICKER
"More simply" should simply be SIMPLY.

/Grammar Cop Off

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Turned it off? Is this an option on the Edge? Interesting. Maybe they heard me! LOLOL :D
Yeah. I've got mine toggled off on my VZW Note 4 as well. Only catch is that you can only turn it off or on while the device isn't charging. Once you plug it in to the charger, it is what it is.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Foxcat REALLY making me regret getting a Turbo....

And stop with the overuse of the word MORE. Pet Peeve #2,764

"More Quickly" should just be QUICKER
"More simply" should simply be SIMPLY.

/Grammar Cop Off
Was the comment regarding using the word more directed at me? I read through my post up there unless I blew right by it I didn't see where I might have used it in the context you mentioned.

As for regretting getting the turbocharged droid turbo, why would you regret it.? Is it simply because of the turbocharger? In other words, don't you have other standard Chargers around the home, in the car, even just the standard USB port on your computer that you can use to charge at the slower and safer rates?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I swear someone said "to put it more simply"...
/Just ignore the grammar cop :D

I bought the Turbo for the battery and the Turbo Charger. This phone doesn't go 2 days for me. Ha, that's a joke. I'd love to know who can possibly get 2 days out of this phone. I use the Turbo Charger EVERY day, hell yesterday I had to use it TWICE. No kidding.
Got home from work and had very little left. I have 30 minutes to get my son ready for his Tae Kwon Do class. There's an Ingress portal at his TKD class, so I want a nice charge for that so I can hack while he practices. Stopped and hit another portal on the way home, checked in with my Hangout Crew when I got home and by 9PM, my phone needed another top off.
Maybe I should quit playing Ingress, but that's why I passed on the replaceable battery and SD Card for Fat Battery and Turbo Charging. I was sick of having an external charger attached to my previous phone.
Ingress: Google's way of making sure you will need a phone every 2 years...

So I guess I will be the guinea pig because apparently no one on this forum burns through this battery like I do.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I swear someone said "to put it more simply"...
/Just ignore the grammar cop :D

I bought the Turbo for the battery and the Turbo Charger. This phone doesn't go 2 days for me. Ha, that's a joke. I'd love to know who can possibly get 2 days out of this phone. I use the Turbo Charger EVERY day, hell yesterday I had to use it TWICE. No kidding.
Got home from work and had very little left. I have 30 minutes to get my son ready for his Tae Kwon Do class. There's an Ingress portal at his TKD class, so I want a nice charge for that so I can hack while he practices. Stopped and hit another portal on the way home, checked in with my Hangout Crew when I got home and by 9PM, my phone needed another top off.
Maybe I should quit playing Ingress, but that's why I passed on the replaceable battery and SD Card for Fat Battery and Turbo Charging. I was sick of having an external charger attached to my previous phone.
Ingress: Google's way of making sure you will need a phone every 2 years...

So I guess I will be the guinea pig because apparently no one on this forum burns through this battery like I do.
Haha, yes ingress will definitely wipeout a charge pretty quickly. As for the comments more quickly, I noticed now that was actually in the OP. The problem is more quickly really does have a place in the description of certain situations. You could change more quickly to just simply faster, but when something is much faster and you're trying to compare with something that is fast but a little slower, more quickly is a better description. It's kind of the same as saying faster still or still faster or even faster. Like the three runners you have one that's fast you have one that's faster and you have one that's even faster, or quick and quicker and even more quickly. So although I'm not saying you're wrong, it's an acceptable grammar and although it may be a pet peeve of yours it can help to put a clear picture in the minds of people trying to understand.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Haha, yes ingress will definitely wipeout a charge pretty quickly. As for the comments more quickly, I noticed now that was actually in the OP. The problem is more quickly really does have a place in the description of certain situations. You could change more quickly to just simply faster, but when something is much faster and you're trying to compare with something that is fast but a little slower, more quickly is a better description. It's kind of the same as saying faster still or still faster or even faster. Like the three runners you have one that's fast you have one that's faster and you have one that's even faster, or quick and quicker and even more quickly. So although I'm not saying you're wrong, it's an acceptable grammar and although it may be a pet peeve of yours it can help to put a clear picture in the minds of people trying to understand.
Clear as mud. ;)

Though I joke, I agree with you. Not in my personal taste, but grammatically acceptable.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I will test this out the next time I have to use my battery pack. It will output between 1A and 3.1A depending on which USB outputs you plug your phone into.

I'm fairly certain that it will trigger the fast charging mode on my Note Edge. My i6 Plus will also charge faster if I use my iPad wall wart so I will also test if it charges the i6 faster.

Ollie, if the phone actually reports "Fast Charging Enabled" or something to that effect when you plug it into the high current port then clearly Samsung designed the Fast Charging technology to take advantage of existing high current charging blocks and portable battery packs. This would be in completely opposition to the custom and proprietary Quick Charge 1.0 and 2.0 as were designed by Qualcomm. In the Qualcomm system, only chargers that are capable of putting out the necessary multiple voltages and current levels and which have the special circuitry to detect the phone being compatible will actually put out the higher levels.

On my Droid Turbo, when I plug in the Quick Charge 2.0 compatible "Turbo Charger" the phone responds in a few seconds with the following prompt at the bottom preceded by a lightning bolt logo; "Turbo charger detected" (see below). This tells both the user AND the charger that the phone and charger are in agreement that this mode of charging should be enabled. If ANY other phone is plugged into the Turbo Charger, ONLY the 5V 1.6 Amp maximum output will be realized. This keeps the charger compatible with ANY USB powered phone device (or for that matter any USB powered device in general).

Also if the phone is plugged into ANY other charger, even a high current one, the maximum the phone will draw will be in the range of the upper end of the 5V current level on the Turbo Charger, 1.6 Amps. So although it's not technically "Turbo Charging" and won't increase stored power by 8 hours of use in 15 minutes, it's still substantially faster than earlier chargers which typically capped out at 780 Milliwatts.

99bf39d48b6facab24aa35e71573685e.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ollie, if the phone actually reports "Fast Charging Enabled" or something to that effect when you plug it into the high current port then clearly Samsung designed the Fast Charging technology to take advantage of existing high current charging blocks and portable battery packs. This would be in completely opposition to the custom and proprietary Quick Charge 1.0 and 2.0 as were designed by Qualcomm. In the Qualcomm system, only chargers that are capable of putting out the necessary multiple voltages and current levels and which have the special circuitry to detect the phone being compatible will actually put out the higher levels.

On my Droid Turbo, when I plug in the Quick Charge 2.0 compatible "Turbo Charger" the phone responds in a few seconds with the following prompt at the bottom preceded by a lightning bolt logo; "Turbo charger detected" (see below). This tells both the user AND the charger that the phone and charger are in agreement that this mode of charging should be enabled. If ANY other phone is plugged into the Turbo Charger, ONLY the 5V 1.6 Amp maximum output will be realized. This keeps the charger compatible with ANY USB powered phone device (or for that matter any USB powered device in general).

99bf39d48b6facab24aa35e71573685e.jpg
Yeah. My Note 4 tells me about Fast charging if it's enabled when I plug it in.

Sent from my Note 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah. My Note 4 tells me about Fast charging if it's enabled when I plug it in.

Sent from my Note 4
OK, question is, do they require a proprietary charger to enable that mode, or will a high current 5V charging block (like a 2.1 Amp iPad charger), enable it?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, question is, do they require a proprietary charger to enable that mode, or will a high current 5V charging block (like a 2.1 Amp iPad charger), enable it?

Let me test it.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Let me test it.

When I plug it into my Samsung charger (the wall wart) it indicates on my phone that an adaptive fast charging charger has been detected.

When I plug in my iPad wall wart it does not give the notification, but charges just as quickly. That makes me wonder if it will stop fast charging at the eighty percentile mark and reduce back down to the trickle charging or will it keep giving the gas all the way to 100 percent?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When I plug it into my Samsung charger (the wall wart) it indicates on my phone that an adaptive fast charging charger has been detected.

When I plug in my iPad wall wart it does not give the notification, but charges just as quickly. That makes me wonder if it will stop fast charging at the eighty percentile mark and reduce back down to the trickle charging or will it keep giving the gas all the way to 100 percent?
I would guess it'll keep giving 'er til the end. One reason why they suggest not using other chargers.

Sent from my Note 4

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The next stage in cellular phones: A phone so thin it has no battery! Just plug it into this handy external power source via this thin cable... The power source in no way resembles a backpack, it's a charging pack you wear on your back.

Reactions: cr6