Samsung Galaxy S5 Starting Production End of 2013; May Have a Metal Chassis This Time

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
s5-mockup-render.jpg

Mockup Render Photo credit: Temefy.com

It is probably too soon to be talking about this, but we are just the messengers. Apparently Samsung is already hard at work on the next generation Samsung Galaxy S5. In fact, according to the latest intel, they plan on putting it into production by the end of 2013. Additionally, it appears the next generation of this device may finally eschew the plastic housing in favor of a metallic one. Here's a quick quote with a few more details,

The report also claims that Samsung is looking to start a production line later this year to create those metal chassis, with a sample produced in Europe sent for testing to Vietnam earlier this year. Samsung is reportedly treading lightly and is looking to minimize effects of a metal housing, such as on the antenna reception (Apple's "death grip" on iPhone, remember that?). Hopefully, things like removable batteries and expandable storage are being focused on, too.

It seems like the honeymoon with our amazing SGS4 smartphones is barely over, and now they are already talking about the SGS5. Come on Sammy! Let us enjoy what we have for just a little while! ;)

Thanks for the tip, Astrix!

Source: Youmobile.org

S

SFGate

I haven't even got on board at all yet, and they are talking about the 5. I don't think I'm the only one who finds this too fast turnover to be just enough of a turnoff to continue enabling my inertia. Not everybody is wealthy enough to be getting a new device every six to nine months. So we keep something that works for us.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The S5 will not be out till next year around May-June, till then everyone just chill, and after the S5 we will see the S6 in 2015. By the way I put a case on all my smartphones, so I could care less if it made of metal or plastic, I actually prefer plastic phones because they are lighter and are less prone to major damage if dropped, plus reception is better with plastic phones. From a few reports that I have seen on the web, is that the HTC ONE has not had as good of a reception as other phones "makes you wonder", same thing happened to the first Asus pad, it had GPS issues do to it being all metal, then they changes the design slightly, by having a plastic boarder where the antennas lie in the device, and the GPS problems vanished.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The S5 will not be out till next year around May-June, till then everyone just chill, and after the S5 we will see the S6 in 2015. By the way I put a case on all my smartphones, so I could care less if it made of metal or plastic, I actually prefer plastic phones because they are lighter and are less prone to major damage if dropped, plus reception is better with plastic phones. From a few reports that I have seen on the web, is that the HTC ONE has no so great of a reception as other phones "makes you wonder", same thing happened to the first Asus pad, it had GPS issues do to it being all metal, then they changes the design slightly, by having a plastic boarder where the antennas lie in the device, and the GPS problems vanished.

Pretty much all correct. I'll take a plastic case to reduce weight, better reception and the ability to my a new cheap back cover if mine gets damaged. I don't have a case on mine all the time but again, if it gets damaged, I can buy a new back cover on Amazon for like $5 shipped.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Not sure what the fuss is about. The timing sounds about right to me. If production "starts" at the end of the year it'll be AT LEAST a month until they ramp up to full production (that's IF there are no glitches or changes needed). Another month or so to get the supply lines filled up. So we're up to at least Feb/March. Isn't that getting pretty close to a year since the S4 was first available for sale?

WestOkid

Reaction score
Pretty much all correct. I'll take a plastic case to reduce weight, better reception and the ability to my a new cheap back cover if mine gets damaged. I don't have a case on mine all the time but again, if it gets damaged, I can buy a new back cover on Amazon for like $5 shipped.

Apple makes metal body phones and reception is fine; just do it right. As for damage, I go naked 90% of the time because if I buy a phone, I like the features and aesthetics. The company paid millions to design, why cover it up so it looks like every other phone? I guess I am careful and lucky. My big problem is the fact that i am forced to choose between metal and removable back like these are mutually exclusive properties. Give me a removable metal back (maybe screws) and I would be in heaven.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

NOVICE

Reaction score
Put me down as an additional vote for plastic housing.

Use a light weight case. Don't need the extra weight or "hardness" of metal.

Whatever you do, don't screw with the removable battery or SD card. Don't need a uni body design.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you've got a problem with extra weight from metal vs. plastic you really need to hit the gym

Reaction score
I'm all for keeping with the plastic with maybe a hint of metal, like the home button or the trim around the phone...not painted metal that's currently on the s4 cause once it gets scratched or chipped the white plastic underneath sticks out like a sore thumb........jmo