Samsung Galaxy S5 Gets Its IP67 Certification Tested; Flawless Victory

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sgs5-waterboarding.png

If you were at all skeptical of Samsung's claim to have IP67 water-resistance on their next-generation Galaxy S5 smartphone, then you would not be alone, but you are mistaken. Some folks in Russia got hold of the device ahead of the April 11th launch date and decided to test its water-resistant capabilities. It turns out there was no reason to be skeptical. The phone survives splashing water, jetting from all sides, and can also be fully immersed in 3 feet of liquid for a half an hour. This holds up to the IP67 specifications.

Interestingly, these same skeptics also put the battery through some punishing tests and found it to be very impressive. Here's a quote with details regarding that test,

The Galaxy S5 survived 10 hours of continuous 1080p video playback - a sixth shy of the 12 hours promised in the S5 presentation. The conditions of the test were at full screen brightness, though, and with Wi-Fi on, which means that Samsung's new flagship might ultimately crush the endurance benchmarks, in relation to its battery capacity.

Hmmm... so the internals and software may not be that much of an upgrade from the Galaxy S4, but with incredible battery life and IP67 water-resistance, the Galaxy S5 could be worth the upgrade. This is especially true for folks who are on the SGS3 or older. What do you guys think?

Check out more pics below of the Galaxy S5 being receiving the water-boarding torture.

Source: PhoneArena

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Lot to be said for that kind of protection, especially with the increase in Poogling. I would say it is a no brainer upgrade for anyone on something older than the S4. Someone with the S4 would really have some soul searching to do to decide if it is worth it or not.

This phone is not enough to pry my N5 out of my hands, but still seems like a solid device.

jspradling7

Reaction score
That rubber USB cover would stop me from using my cradle with it. I'd have to try to find a way to get it off of there without hurting it.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
the only phone I've ever ruined wasn't becaue I cracked the screen, but because it slid off my center console in my truck and right into a cup of water. If I never have to worry about this again, I'll get one. I may even go with sprint or TMobile unlimited and ditch VZW if this thing is that great.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
tempting for me, I was in the shower yesterday and got a phone call... definitely wished I had the sony xperia or something completely water proof. I may end up getting this. and not waiting for the note 4

hradek422

Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in seeing this incorporated into the standard release of the Note 4. I accidentally ran my Note 3 through the dishwasher for a few minutes the other day, and it is most certainly not waterproof. I will say this though, my Note 3 made a full recovery 3 days later, without the use of rice or anything like that. It was experiencing some funky symptoms, but 3 days after I washed it, it is no longer broken. So.... props to Samsung for making a phone that can recover from that kind of water damage.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
The ability to play music from my phone in the shower is pretty tempting... But I love my S4 and cannot justify the purchase. Maybe when the S6 comes out hahah.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in seeing this incorporated into the standard release of the Note 4. I accidentally ran my Note 3 through the dishwasher for a few minutes the other day, and it is most certainly not waterproof. I will say this though, my Note 3 made a full recovery 3 days later, without the use of rice or anything like that. It was experiencing some funky symptoms, but 3 days after I washed it, it is no longer broken. So.... props to Samsung for making a phone that can recover from that kind of water damage.

xD how did you manage that one? fall out of your pocket when you weren't looking?

mikeinctown

Reaction score
the only phone I've ever ruined wasn't becaue I cracked the screen, but because it slid off my center console in my truck and right into a cup of water. If I never have to worry about this again, I'll get one. I may even go with sprint or TMobile unlimited and ditch VZW if this thing is that great.

One in a million, doc!

You have no idea. I was headed through the Pitsburgh Turnpike on the way to Ikea. I was going town a long hill behind another car. I saw a construction crew off to the side of the road at the bottom of the hill, maybe 1/4 mile down. The car in front of me brake checks me and I slammed on my brakes. I didn't even realize my phone slid into the cup until a couple miles down the road when I went to text my girlfriend that I was almost there.

Now I make sure I always grab an extra lid or two when I grab my Polar Pop now and keep them in the truck so that I always have a lid on my beverage when I'm driving.

Anyway, having a phone like this would have saved me a lot of headache.

JRParsons

Reaction score

One in a million, doc!

2 in a million. Lost a TouchPro I I in a glass of iced tea, fell off the dashboard into a red cup full of iced tea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk