Samsung Galaxy S5 Full Spec List

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Well we said Samsung was the top dog and looks like the top dog may have fumbled a bit. Now can Motorola or another oem catch up or will Samsung just pick it up and score.
Samsung throws exorbitant amounts of cash into advertising and are all over the place. Sammy will continue to dominate the Android space for a long time. They've built a brand and have pulled so far away from the pack I honestly do not know how any of the other OEM's will catch up.

It will take years for another OEM to build momentum, and Samsung must falter along the way for anyone to come along and steal their thunder. I personally do not see Samsung relinquishing their title for a very long time, unless they decide to move to a Tizen based smartphone (which I personally think is going to happen in the future. Just yy opinion)

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Just got my Moto X last week and it is BY FAR the best phone I've ever had!! Coming from a Razr HD.

I love hearint this. I am currently saddled with a 2.5yr old Droid Bionic. Its become frustratingly laggy, requiring frequent cache clearing, and ram scrubbing. Literally every time I use the browser I have to wait for it to freeze and give me the "boat browser is not responding, could you like to wait or close" notification. (and its not just boat browser, was having same issue with chrome, which is why I switched to boat in the 1st place).

Anywho....the other day I upgraded to the HTC One Max, wanting a bigger screen. That lasted 1 day, it was TOO big. I didnt want the HTC One, as its over a year old at this point. Then I was going to get the LG G2, but they were out of stock. I wasnt happy with the amount of crapware that was loaded in there, but was willing to give it a try.

After debating back and forth I ended up buying a Moto X from Swappa and it will be here in a few days. I wasnt initially impressed by the specs on it when it came out (especially the screen size, I wanted something bigger), but more and more Im hearing how great this phone is despite the middle-of-the-road specs, due to software optimization. Its more of a true google experience phone, which is what I want. I wanted the Nexus 5, but being on Verizon this is as close as Im going to get I suppose.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned earlier, but software optimizations and features will be the future as specs are not really as important anymore. This is why the Moto X is the phone to have. Specs are humble, giving great battery life. Software is optimized to work perfectly without the need for the best processor, or the tons of ram (see Apple iPhone 4x, 5x).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
... or the tons of ram (see Apple iPhone 4x, 5x).

That's because Android is capable of demanding far, far more ram than Apple. There are launchers out there that allow for a ridiculously huge number of screens and widgets, with different live wallpaper on each desktop if you really wanted to go crazy.

And contextually aware apps is the future - they need to always be running to do their thing.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Samsung throws exorbitant amounts of cash into advertising and are all over the place. Sammy will continue to dominate the Android space for a long time. They've built a brand and have pulled so far away from the pack I honestly do not know how any of the other OEM's will catch up.

It will take years for another OEM to build momentum, and Samsung must falter along the way for anyone to come along and steal their thunder. I personally do not see Samsung relinquishing their title for a very long time, unless they decide to move to a Tizen based smartphone (which I personally think is going to happen in the future. Just yy opinion)

In this era of technology all it takes is momentum. I think if Motorola can keep on doing what they have been doing they could slowly take it from Samsung from the bottom up. I am seeing more and more people gravitate to the Motorola x those who are not phone geeks and can care less about dual core, quad core, 64 bit, etc. All people care about is a good experience. The reason many chose android was because it was not apple and it is clearly obvious that Samsung is becoming more and more like apple. People are seeing that and those wanting to get away will gravitate elsewhere to a manufacturer who can provide them an enjoyable experience. HTC is too erratic with a hit one year and a dud the next they need to find an idea and build upon it vs choosing something different every year. LG is making a rise but they look too much like Samsung vs forming their own identity. Either way it will be interesting to see how this all play out.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
In this era of technology all it takes is momentum. I think if Motorola can keep on doing what they have been doing they could slowly take it from Samsung from the bottom up. I am seeing more and more people gravitate to the Motorola x those who are not phone geeks and can care less about dual core, quad core, 64 bit, etc. All people care about is a good experience. The reason many chose android was because it was not apple and it is clearly obvious that Samsung is becoming more and more like apple. People are seeing that and those wanting to get away will gravitate elsewhere to a manufacturer who can provide them an enjoyable experience. HTC is too erratic with a hit one year and a dud the next they need to find an idea and build upon it vs choosing something different every year. LG is making a rise but they look too much like Samsung vs forming their own identity. Either way it will be interesting to see how this all play out.
Therein lies the problem. Samsung is becoming like Apple which is a really really good thing. WE are seeing that, and don't particularly like it, but your average consumer see's a brand that they know, like and trust.

Resistance is futile :)

I'd love to see another Android OEM become competitive. Particularly Motorola. FWIW I still think the X is still the best Android smartphone out there

TatDroid

Reaction score
After debating back and forth I ended up buying a Moto X from Swappa and it will be here in a few days. I wasnt initially impressed by the specs on it when it came out (especially the screen size, I wanted something bigger), but more and more Im hearing how great this phone is despite the middle-of-the-road specs, due to software optimization. Its more of a true google experience phone, which is what I want. I wanted the Nexus 5, but being on Verizon this is as close as Im going to get I suppose.
I've been on a bone stock Moto X from Verizon since October. It is by far the smoothest, most stable, most enjoyable smartphone experience I've had (I started way back with the original Droid on release day in Nov of 2009).

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I've been on a bone stock Moto X from Verizon since October. It is by far the smoothest, most stable, most enjoyable smartphone experience I've had (I started way back with the original Droid on release day in Nov of 2009).

Great to hear. I have been skeptical of the Moto X since release. It just didnt seem to have enough wow factor or cutting edge specs for me, especially for the initial price. But more and more Im hearing and reading how great it actually is with the software integration, voice control, and relatively clean version of Android. So I decided to take the plunge and buy it 2nd hand for $280. I almost popped on one when they had it on sale for $339, wishing I had now as Im just getting the basic black.

I too had the exact same history as you: OG droid, bionic, and moto x (in 2 days)

Amagine

Reaction score
Am I one of the few that could give a rip less if the phone has a metal exterior or not? I mean, mine all go into an enclosure with an expanded battery anyway. Why should I care if the frame is metal at that point. I believe the metal frame argument is starting to look like the metal versus composite argument in cars that occurred a few years ago.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Am I one of the few that could give a rip less if the phone has a metal exterior or not? I mean, mine all go into an enclosure with an expanded battery anyway. Why should I care if the frame is metal at that point. I believe the metal frame argument is starting to look like the metal versus composite argument in cars that occurred a few years ago.

Maybe it's a Zippo vs Bic thing. I don't know. I use a Bic lighter and a plastic phones. Works for me. I would have liked to see a metal framed S5 though but just for the change or uniqueness of it, not because I would value it any more.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
We just had a topic in the LG G2 concerning lack of significant traffic and posts on the forum. My reply was:

Funny, I was just talking about Android in general, and the lack of activity in many of the different phone forums. The O/S itself has matured, which I think contributes greatly. I had the first HTC Eris. Glitchy...maybe just a little? Lol. But no more than me tinkering with Windows through years (uh...I had disks for Windows 1.0....did not mature till 3.1! ! and so on till 8.1). I betcha the manufacturers put in less in their overlays, as more function comes from stock...which I feel gives less glitch. From what I read, the S5 coming soon learned their lesson and less bloat this go around. May see a tick in performance efficiency there too. I deal with IPhone phones time to time with their glitches. Omg, the iCloud, iTunes ,I lost my data, I updated and all my contacts deleted, freezing phones-press power button and round home button for 10 seconds (it doesn't even charger in this state! ! Just like some of the newer Moto's...just sayin'). We owe thanks to Google Android, me thinks.