Samsung Galaxy S5 Full Spec List

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Only 2gigs of ram is kind of shocking to me...I think less future proof (which may be the point) than a 2k display or "suped-up" processor. Maybe the processor is needed for camcorder and better photos, though.

Oh so close with the IR blaster, at least the thought process. Sure, for some I can see the use - it's cutting-edge 1998 technology!

Bara65

Reaction score
Ive read in quite a few places this does have the snap801
Maybe the specs aren't as bad as it seems. Besides the 2g ram

I'm reading that too. 801 is a little better than 800 but real next thing from QUALCOMM is 805. Interestingly Wiki now says that 805 will go into S5 as well. If this is true, I think S5 prime version exists and it's still in the work.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If the recent rumor that "current units" are shipping with 1080p and "future units" are shipping with 2K are true, I'm totally, utterly befuddled. WHO IN THE WORLD would buy the S5 now only to learn in a few months that the screen had been significantly updated (even at a higher price-point)? I hate painting myself in a corner, but I hope the 2K doesn't happen until the S6. Seriously, I don't want to be anywhere NEAR the forum when an updated S5 with a 2K screen hits the street -- there will be an Armageddon full of unhappy customers.

-Matt

Amagine

Reaction score
I believe we may be looking at the backside of the spec war bell curve. Just like what we saw in the PC industry, the MhZ wars ticked up to oblivion until the multi core chips became common and further when better optimization of mutil threading came about. Now that there is nearly no distance between CPU and RAM with SOC solutions, the spec war has moved on to the software.

I am fairly certain we are looking at the same transition, probably for the next couple of years we are going to be seeing features, battery and UI evolve where as specs will stay mostly the same.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
If the recent rumor that "current units" are shipping with 1080p and "future units" are shipping with 2K are true, I'm totally, utterly befuddled. WHO IN THE WORLD would buy the S5 now only to learn in a few months that the screen had been significantly updated (even at a higher price-point)? I hate painting myself in a corner, but I hope the 2K doesn't happen until the S6. Seriously, I don't want to be anywhere NEAR the forum when an updated S5 with a 2K screen hits the street -- there will be an Armageddon full of unhappy customers.

-Matt
It's likely a south Korean release only. Like the snap800 lte a release.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked they aren't doing 3gb ram. But then again, the average user really only needs that much ram for heavy gaming, right? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I read an article on The Verge I believe, the said the fingerprint scanner doesn't work like it should.
I also am not sure how to feel about a "multitasking button" instead of a menu button

Sent from my Droid Maxx

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
I'm shocked they aren't doing 3gb ram. But then again, the average user really only needs that much ram for heavy gaming, right? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I read an article on The Verge I believe, the said the fingerprint scanner doesn't work like it should.
I also am not sure how to feel about a "multitasking button" instead of a menu button

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Word, thanks for pointing out the multitasking / window button... kinda lame. Makes me all the more satisfied I got myself a Note 3 and didn't decide to wait for this. I wonder when Note 3 / GS4 will get new Touchwiz w/ apps.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
@combatmedic870 was correct. The original source where we got the Snapdragon 800 processor for the Galaxy S5 was incorrect. I was able to corroborate from three different other sites that the processor in the SGS5 is the Snapdragon 801. This means its CPU and GPU are on par with the Sony Xperia Z2, but it's RAM is still lower at 2GB instead of 3GB. Of course, the SGS5 actually has a better water and dust resistance than the Sony, so that's something worth considering as well.

Overall it seems the two devices are about on par with one another. Of course, the popularity of the Samsung products is off the charts whereas Sony mobile devices are not nearly as successful.

Well the SGS5 is more dust resistant but less water proof at IP67
The Z2 @ IP58 is more water proof but less dust reistant.
The first number is dust resitance, the second number is water resistance.

I had to look that up, I was really curious!
IP Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think its weird that the sony is less dust proof but it is more water proof. how is that possible!!!??!!? LOL

I wonder if Samsung's IP rating is a claim, OR it is REALLY certified.

My thinking is that the headphone jack gives the Z2 a 5 rating in dust. If that is the case. It would as well for the SGS5. It doesnt make sense.

Im gonna have to do a little more digging to figure this out.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But then again, the average user really only needs that much ram for heavy gaming, right?

I don't know. 2gigs is plenty sufficient, at the moment, but apps are taking up more and more data - especially Google apps - with cloud sync and contextual awareness.

I'm struggling a bit with just 1gig of ram on the Rezound, so I've been monitoring - not uncommon to see apps using 50-70megs of ram (Amazon, Playstore, Currents, etc...). If you like to use a lot of widgets, well developers are adding features & other goodies so for me I wouldn't be surprised to feel 2gigs is lacking in 12-18 months (and I don't game). Although some of that could be solved with Google giving more control over OOM priority, or developers getting the coding right (the widget services that have been "inactive" in the background for a while tend to get killed when Android needs the memory).

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
They should have named it she Galaxy 4S! See what I did there?! :p

Last edited:

jspradling7

Reaction score
[lame humor warning]

Thanks for the effort Samsung, but I've had a Galaxy S5 for 6 months now... it's called the LG G2. It's smaller and lighter and has a bigger display and battery. I don't need water proof or a fingerprint scanner. But I do like your Amoled displays a little better. Maybe you can go ahead and announce the "Prime" now. You know, the one with a metal frame, 3 gb of Ram, a 3000 battery, 64 bit processor, and a 5.25 quad display. Kudos on the camera though, it sounds like that did get upgraded.

[/lame humor warning]

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well we said Samsung was the top dog and looks like the top dog may have fumbled a bit. Now can Motorola or another oem catch up or will Samsung just pick it up and score.

packers-recover-aaron-rodgers-fumble-for-wacky-touchdown-against-bears-a.gif

GAstorino

Reaction score
Wow. The Denver Broncos of phone upgrades. I am underwhelmed. Why make your new flagship phone and upgrade be only 1" in size, newer battery, and better camera. That is it. No real upgrade in processors, no ram increase, no increase in storage. Screen resolution remains the same. Exact same UI. Thought I was looking at S4. Samsung what the hell have you gone all Apple on us. Iphone almost the same since model 1 with the miniscule increases every 6 months in order to maximize $$$. Maybe cut down to 30 or 40 the models of phones you sell and spec out your newer ones. Just nuts that an opportunity was wasted.