Samsung Galaxy S2 Coming to the US, Branding Confirmed?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is definitely the one upcoming Android phone that has my attention. I really am still not losing sleep over 4G. I can live with 3G for one more iteration while the bugs are still getting worked out.
same here about 4g. not a must for me. plus with more people adopting 4g the 3g speed will more than suffice.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

music life

Reaction score
im with yall. the biggest reason for my phone is for tethering. and 80% of the time i tether in a 3G only area. with 4G coming in later 2012. so im not worried about 4G.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Plus, the way things are looking, Samsung may be one of the few truly rootable phones. As long as it can be rooted, I'm not overly concerned about updates from Verizon and Samsung. As long as the developers like the phone. Which I have a strong feeling they will. And I have to say, Touchwiz on this looks pretty stout.

Cmdates2991

Reaction score
I only really found out about this phone today and I instantly decided that this must be mine. And then I found out it wasn't in the US yet which made me incredibly sad. I hope it arrives soon.

On another note. The area I live most likely have 4G for another year so it doesn't really matter for me.

kyler13

Reaction score
Agree about the pentile screen pixel layout. I've used the ATRIX, and the effective resolution really sucks, you can see a texture on solid colors
Plz xplain the pentile screen and real qhd?And how does super a plus screen compare 2 qhd?thnk u for helpin me.

Pentile is a special arrangement of subpixels that counts on interpolation for a perceived resolution. You'll get some good layout representations if you google it, but essentially there's no defined individual pixels. Rather, adjacent subpixels blend to effectively achieve a perceived higher resolution. It's a good trick if you can't simply shrink the subpixels enough in the manufacturing process. It counts on your eyes dithering the colors to appear nearly the same as a true resolution, but it does have it's shortcomings. Text isn't as sharp and images are soft. Plus, you can get visual artifacts depending on the patterns or solid colors being displayed.

True resolution is based on real stripe, which is essentially what has been around forever on displays. Consider a pixel as a square divided into equal thirds of red, green, and blue. The intensities change to give you the desired color exclusive to that addressed location.

I'm with you, sorta. I see little point in picking up Verizon's variant if it's 3G only. Why have all that power and only a paltry 3G connection? Problem is, there's no other option on the horizon as far as I'm concerned. I have no interest in the Bionic (maybe I would if they dump the pentile matrix for real qHD, but doubtful).

The original Bionic had a qhd pentile screen, but they dumped the original Bionic hardware in lieu of the Targa. I googled around to see if specs for the Targa's screen have been leaked. I wasn't able to find anything.

It's a valid point and i'll be interested to see what Moto comes up with, but the Bionic in its new form factor (the Targa) may have a real qHD, or some other screen entirely. Who knows?

All that being said, I'd be willing to put up with a pentile matrix screen if it meant i get both a dual-core processor and 4g.

Heck, i'm almost ready to jump ship now and go buy a single-core 4g phone and use that for a year then sell it and buy a triple core or quad core phone. I drool at the thought of 4g tethering for my laptop.

Well, I have an HTC Incredible with pentile and I can say I see no need to compromise sharpness and clarity going forward for the sake of higher perceived resolution. To me, true WVGA > pentile qHD.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
samsungfunction2.jpg

Found this Might be Photoshopped of how the phone could be like on Verizon?

Tegamal

Reaction score
I'm with a lot of you, I think this will be my next phone (still on OG Droid & lovin it!). I'm not in a 4G area, so it's not a deal breaker, but it does make me keep shopping around.

lerit50

Reaction score
This is going to be my gift for going to college. I've decided :p

Btw.. Case Western Reserve Univ! YEY!

music life

Reaction score
samsung just needs to give us a bone and tell us when its coming.

this phone has me excited.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the GS2 probably won't come to Verizon until Q4 or sometime in the fall. They'll probably do the S2 just like they did with the old Galaxy S, where Verizon gets it last...........like they get everthing last :(

music life

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the GS2 probably won't come to Verizon until Q4 or sometime in the fall. They'll probably do the S2 just like they did with the old Galaxy S, where Verizon gets it last...........like they get everthing last :(

:eek: dont say that. lol