Samsung Galaxy S III Smokes The Competition in Web-Browsing Battery Tests

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
remote-battery-life-infographic.gif

If you are a person who spends a lot of time browsing the web on your smartphone, then you would be wise to consider the Samsung Galaxy S III. According to a new study by Which?, the Galaxy S III easily crushes much of the competition in a battery web-browsing test. In the study, the SGS3 scored a 349 minutes of browser time, and the Sony Xperia S scoring the closest with a 276 minutes. The HTC One X came in third with 226 minutes, while the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 were far behind with 208 and 200 respectively.

Keep one thing in mind about this study. One phone was notably absent from the testing that would likely have changed the results of this race. That phone is the Motorola RAZR MAXX with a 3300 mAh battery and 21 hours of rated talk time. Of course, regardless, it's still a pleasant surprise to see how efficient Samsung has made their flagship device. What do you guys think? Do these statistics jive with your experiences of the device, or do you think they sound exaggerated?

Source: S3Forums via Which?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the absence of the MAXX is a weakness of this test. It does, however, make me wonder how the iPhone 5 is getting the 4G usage times that Apple is claiming.

skennelly

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know what power settings they were using. I'm sure they had power savings enabled, along with screen brightness to a minimum.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know what power settings they were using. I'm sure they had power savings enabled, along with screen brightness to a minimum.

read the picture again it says screen brightness was set to maximum and they were in a medium 3g area.

put the sgs3 in a 4g area and you're done. the maxx flat out smokes it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
read the picture again it says screen brightness was set to maximum and they were in a medium 3g area.

put the sgs3 in a 4g area and you're done. the maxx flat out smokes it.

I'm in an LTE area and mine is crazy on battery. Yes, I am not stock, but hey...its still up there. I was streaming music for over an hour today and had navigation going with the screen on and it only used up like 15% of the battery.

Oh, I'm on AOKP. My Nexus 7 on SmoothROM with Franco Kernel smokes my S3 even more.

jaksonball2

Reaction score
generally it,s a impressive post. the Galaxy S III easily crushes much of the competition in a battery web-browsing test. In the study,i think you post will attract all and sundry. thank you.............

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
4g only

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Like MissionImprobable said, without the number one player in the battery life game up there the test is already tainted. It is nice to see Apple stuck in the middle of greatness where they belong though, and there brand new phone getting worse battery than the previous.

jwilly216

Reaction score
Sydman said:
Like MissionImprobable said, without the number one player in the battery life game up there the test is already tainted. It is nice to see Apple stuck in the middle of greatness where they belong though, and there brand new phone getting worse battery than the previous.

Here you go; the results of the maxx test.
The maxx lasted a lot longer than all of them due to its battery size.