Samsung Galaxy S III Officially Announced

osirhis

Reaction score
I don't get what all the fuss is about... It looks like a pretty sleak phone. Maybe my taste in aesthetics are different from the mainstream, but I would totally be amped to show that phone off. And even if you didn't like the outside, wouldn't you end up putting a cover on it anyway? Most people put their phones in Otterboxes, regardless of how good/bad the phone looks, so I don't think exteriors carry too much weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm kidding about the fanboy but stand by my other statements killer what exactly did this bring to the table that was supposed to wow.
No other ANDROID phone on the planet has it's features or capabilities. The new crop of Android phones are just more of the same, better specs same old capabilities. Android was getting tired. Samsung has just raised the bar and totally revolutionized Android, not hardware, not aesthetics, not radio technology. ANDROID. This was much needed and we all will benefit from it. If the other manufacturers don't figure out how to spice up Android like Sammy just did, guess where those sales will go? Samsung will end up having a lock on Android handsets relegating the other manufacturers to back-up duty.

I'm not a fan of the Nexus or any of their other phones, but the SIII is by far the most impressive Android handset to date....in my opinion of course :)

osirhis

Reaction score
No other ANDROID phone on the planet has it's features or capabilities. The new crop of Android phones are just more of the same, better specs same old capabilities. Android was getting tired. Samsung has just raised the bar and totally revolutionized Android, not hardware, not aesthetics, not radio technology. ANDROID. This was much needed and we all will benefit from it. If the other manufacturers don't figure out how to spice up Android like Sammy just did, guess where those sales will go? Samsung will end up having a lock on Android handsets relegating the other manufacturers to back-up duty.

I'm not a fan of the Nexus or any of their other phones, but the SIII is by far the most impressive Android handset to date....in my opinion of course :)

It's don't understand your argument... How is what Samsung did with the GS3 any different than other smartphone makers? Even Apple lovers can't really say they have reinvented the smartphone with every new iPhone. Siri has been the farthest leap forward Apple has made and that's not that impressive.

Smartphones have eclipsed the top of the bell curve... All new phones are going to be subject to diminishing returns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

armeddroid

Reaction score
I got a better summary for everyone who is downing the SGS3.

Wait till you get your hands on it and then make judgement. I already demo'd the One X. SGS3 is next.

People downing the phone and haven't even even seen it yet. Lol. Just what they see on the internet.
Smh.

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
I think this article sums up my feelings about the gs3-

How Samsung broke my heart | The Verge

Mek's X

I guess I don't get it or maybe I'm just weird, but so many people like the physical appearance HTC One X *especially compared to the SGSIII) and I think it looks bad. I would like to know what about it makes it look good. For me the camera lens looks like an abscessed cyst growing on somebody's back and there's something off about the two tone color when looking at the front. I guess it's more obvious with the white version, but way the white wraps around makes it look like a poorly design case was snapped on.

The SGSIII looks nice and clean, smooth with the right sharpness at the edges. Not the sharpness Motorola is fond of making their phones look like how someone from the 80s thinks futuristic phones should look like.

I would like to know what is it about the HTC One X that makes it look so great compared to the SGSIII (and other phones), as well as what's bad about the SGSIII physical appearance.

Quick disclaimer: I own a Droid 2 b/c I like the physical keyboard above all else and I have never purchased or owned a Samsung Android phone. Nor do I have any idea how this phone will actually function in an everyday environment, I'm just commenting on admittedly superficial observations.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
For all you people on Verizon's LTE network, you will get the Qualcomm version of the S4 Krait chip, Qualcomm's and Texas Instruments Omap LTE Chips are the only chips at the moment that work with Verizons LTE Network, Nvidia and Sammy still do not have properly working LTE chips that work on Verizon's LTE Network, same reason Sammy went with the Omap chips on the previous Nexus smartphone, Qualcomm and Texs Instruments have been in the mobile phone chip market way longer than the other two manufacturers.

mekanism

Reaction score
I guess I don't get it or maybe I'm just weird, but so many people like the physical appearance HTC One X *especially compared to the SGSIII) and I think it looks bad. I would like to know what about it makes it look good. For me the camera lens looks like an abscessed cyst growing on somebody's back and there's something off about the two tone color when looking at the front. I guess it's more obvious with the white version, but way the white wraps around makes it look like a poorly design case was snapped on.

The SGSIII looks nice and clean, smooth with the right sharpness at the edges. Not the sharpness Motorola is fond of making their phones look like how someone from the 80s thinks futuristic phones should look like.

I would like to know what is it about the HTC One X that makes it look so great compared to the SGSIII (and other phones), as well as what's bad about the SGSIII physical appearance.

Quick disclaimer: I own a Droid 2 b/c I like the physical keyboard above all else and I have never purchased or owned a Samsung Android phone. Nor do I have any idea how this phone will actually function in an everyday environment, I'm just commenting on admittedly superficial observations.

It has nothing to do with looks, for me its about reliability. My droid x is still going strong after 2 years and I think it has to do with the build quality.

The One X is machined from a solid piece of polycarbonate (the same material used in higher end sunglass lenses). As a former machinist I can tell you that machining something from a solid piece of material is not only at least twice as strong, but also at least 5 times the cost of a molded piece of plastic like what samsung uses in most of their phones. To me it shows that samsung is willing to cut corners and sacrifice quality but spend tons of money on an over hyped marketing campaign to get people to buy crap hardware.

Yes its true the phone isnt out yet, and i havent held it, my opinion is based on samsung's track record of inferior hardware, and my own personal experience from dealing with their bad customer service regarding devices that crap out after 2 months.

Mek's X

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
LG announces Optimus LTE2, coming to Korea mid-May with True HD IPS and 2GB RAM -- Engadget

This thing isn't perfect either, but far better executed on a same-day announcement. I just think part of the GSII sales were simply that when people walked in and saw it they wanted to look at it, to touch it, to check it out. That is something that the S3 is seriously lacking. Last time I walked into a VZ store phones weren't being sold because the reps knew the specs and helped the customer to find what was best for them; it was because either the person came in with a pretty good idea of what they wanted, their friends had helped recommend something, or because something they checked out just looked and felt right. Matter-of-fact, the input of friends weighs pretty heavily on phone purchases which is part of why Windows is having such a hard time getting into the market: no one is recommending their devices.

Most people going to buy a new phone aren't going to know that this phone stays on when you're looking at it, or that you can continue watching vids while you answer messages, or that it will call a contact you're viewing simply by putting it to your ear, or many of the other features that Samsung is touting. They will simply be looking, half of what the reps are saying going in one ear and out the other--if they are saying anything worthwhile to begin with--and simply seeing what the experience of different phones is in the few minutes they have to look at and touch them. Obviously I can't completely condemn this phone for all people without actually getting hands-on myself, but something that is already so polarizing isn't likely going to have anywhere near the appeal that Samsung was hoping for.

Only time will tell, but I just don't think this one is all there.

geoff5093

Reaction score
You mean take a chance of breaking a perfectly working $800+ smartphone, and then having to worry about bugs in the custom ROM.
If you follow directions you won't break it, wait a few weeks and there will probably be a simple "one click root" option which is almost 100% foolproof. Pick a good ROM, some are full of tweaks and are noted as having bugs, others are more stable then the factory ROM.