Samsung Galaxy S III Got a Boost to RAM to Make it 'Future Proof' for Jelly Bean

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung_Galaxy_S3-large-lying-down.jpeg

Apparently, Samsung wasn't taking any risks with the Galaxy S III phone as far as being compatible for the future with Android 4.1/Jelly Bean. According to a report over at The Verge, Samsung wasn't 100% sure what the final hardware specs of Jelly Bean would be, so to make sure their new flagship phone stayed "future proof" they upped the RAM to 2GB just to accomodate any eventuality. The source of their info was not able to give them any details of how long it will be before the SGS3 will get Jelly Bean, but since it isn't dramatically different than Ice Cream Sandwich, it is entirely possible that it may not take too long. At least Samsung can be rest-assured that the hardware is more than capable. Kudos to Sammy for being forward thinking.

Source: S3Forums via The Verge

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I think it was a good move. I mean better safe then sorry right? Plus, I don't think it made it any expensive for Samsung.

nikecar

Reaction score
Haven't some already been delivered? What about those that have been handed out or made already???

fredphoesh

Reaction score
Samsung wasn't 100% sure what the final hardware specs of Jelly Bean would be, so to make sure their new flagship phone stayed "future proof" they upped the RAM to 2GB just to accomodate any eventuality.

My SGSIII has one gig of ram... so does the Nexus that is being upgraded... so that is nonsense.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
My SGSIII has one gig of ram... so does the Nexus that is being upgraded... so that is nonsense.

As does the nexus 7. This story doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Beka27

Reaction score
I feel like I'm a little less concerned about being capable for JB and more concerned for "K" and whatever comes after. We may see people holding onto their S3s for a longer period of time (3 years+) so it would be nice to know that after JB the S3 will still be able to receive updates.

jseah

Reaction score

I think that all depends on when and where you got your SGSIII. I guess that you got your's as an unlocked model from the UK or some other European country? When the SGSIII was introduced in London, it came with 1 GB of RAM. So the European models (since they were the first ones released) only came with 1 GB of RAM. The Korean models, as well as the ones being sold through US carriers (since they aren't being released until this week), all come with 2 GB of RAM. I guess this is when being the first one on the block to get a new device may not necessarily be a good thing.

_33

Reaction score
I thought the US version had the extra RAM because the LTE chip wasn't capable with the quad core. So, we dual core and double RAM.

Make sense?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe not jelly bean, but eventually Android will merge with Chrome OS and then the ram might be needed to run a sort of virtual desktop on an external monitor.