Samsung Galaxy S 3 Official Specs Leak

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If it is indeed bezel-less, wouldn't that force cases to cover a portion of the screen? Seems like without a bezel, you would need a case even more.

It's a slick look, but it's a shame these phones seem to be getting more and more fragile and it ends-up wasted with need of a protective case.

I'm sure the case makers can adapt. Might cost a little more, but would be mostly secured with a lip over the top and bottom and then perhaps flared a bit on the sides to avoid covering the screen.

Reminds me of a question I've been wondering a bit for some time - the main risk is a flat screen landing flush and shattering, when simply a recessed screen (i.e. some rubberized or protective edge around the bezel) might eliminate much of the need for a case.

IMO, this somewhat arbitrary competition to be the thinness and lightest really doesn't add much value to the consumer as we're stuck having to use often bulky, temperamental and/or ill-fitting cases. The Otterbox Defender case is great, but I'm constantly having to re-align or adjust the rubber body glove. I'd love not to need a case, but I drop my phone every once in a while.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
How much bigger would this really be vs. the Nexus? The Nexus was 4.65" but had more bezel. The Nexus naked was, IMO, bordering on too big. So I would be ok with this 4.8" monster EXCEPT, like the Nexus, once you put a case on it it's too big and bulky for the pocket.

mekanism

Reaction score
People who are complaining about how big these new phones are must not realize that all screens are measured diagonally. The difference between a 4.8 and a 4.3 screen is negligible if the bezel is thin. Compare the droid RAZR and the Nexus, they are both roughly the same outer dimensions but with different screen sizes.

Stop *****ing about the size unless you have owned a larger screen. The Nexus fits fine in a pocket and many of us welcome larger screens. Go buy an iphone if you want a small device and stop bashing the awesomeness that will be the GSIII!:D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

robert70

Reaction score
I could care less about the phone being bigger, what my problem with it is and it seems that most everyone skipped this part CERAMIC!! how the hell are you gonna make it out of ceramic? I'm sorry but Sammy already has a horriable build quality, it doesn't matter what the internal goodies are if the outer shell is worthless. IMHO the phone looks fabulous but what good will it be if you drop it for the first time and it shatters into 6 million pieces. I think Sammy needs to put more focus on their outer housings before they super charge the inards.

Sent from my couch while checking out the hot blonde on fox2 news.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Stop *****ing about the size unless you have owned a larger screen. The Nexus fits fine in a pocket and many of us welcome larger screens. Go buy an iphone if you want a small device and stop bashing the awesomeness that will be the GSIII!
Hey, why stop at 4.8"? Why not just go ahead and make it 8.5"? or 10"? When you make calls you can pretend you are holding a dinner plate against your head. Or how about we just make it 14" and you can pretend you are talking on an electronic pizzia.

Larger screens are better, right?

gixxer1kdaddy

Reaction score
Ceramic

I could care less about the phone being bigger, what my problem with it is and it seems that most everyone skipped this part CERAMIC!! how the hell are you gonna make it out of ceramic? I'm sorry but Sammy already has a horriable build quality, it doesn't matter what the internal goodies are if the outer shell is worthless. IMHO the phone looks fabulous but what good will it be if you drop it for the first time and it shatters into 6 million pieces. I think Sammy needs to put more focus on their outer housings before they super charge the inards.

Sent from my couch while checking out the hot blonde on fox2 news.

Actually ceramics can be very tough and durable. Watchmakers have been using ceramics for the cases and bracelets

JaylisJayP

Reaction score
If we could get something close to this for Verizon I'd be happy. Give me a 4.7 screen or larger (sorry Nexus, you don't count with your buttons on the screen), at least 720p and 4G. Quad Core...we'll see what if anything it actually does for performance and battery life. Verizon isn't getting this, isn't getting the HTC One X...WTF IS Verizon getting this year? Their "top tier" phones look like toys next to what's coming out this year.

mekanism

Reaction score
Hey, why stop at 4.8"? Why not just go ahead and make it 8.5"? or 10"? When you make calls you can pretend you are holding a dinner plate against your head. Or how about we just make it 14" and you can pretend you are talking on an electronic pizzia.

Larger screens are better, right?

Apparently my rant was lost on you! If it can still fit in your pocket its not too big. Anything larger and you are in tablet territory. Why not have the largest screen possible that can still fit in your pocket? Now if you are skinny jeans kind of person than only stuff made from apple will fit. The pizza comment was good though! :p

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Apparently my rant was lost on you! If it can still fit in your pocket its not too big.
Who's pocket? Maybe my pockets are not the same size as yours.

If a 10 inch tablet fits in someone's pocket, you think a 10" phone is completely reasonable? Yes, there is a point where it is too big...even if you can manage to cram it in your pocket. It becomes unwieldy and awkward (and comical) no matter how big your pockets are.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
This pointless argument ALWAYS comes up when a phone has a big screen. The beauty of Android is that they make the phones in a million different sizes.

If you don't like it just buy a phone with a screen that's the right size for YOU.