Samsung Galaxy Round Officially Announced: Curved 5.7" OLED, 3GB Ram & More

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 9, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Last night Samsung officially announced the Samsung Galaxy Round. As we reported previously, this is their new curved display smartphone using their plastic flexible OLED display technology. In this particular device, the phone's display isn't "flexible" as it is covered with a sheet of glass, but it is curved. We have included a couple of press shots of the device, and below is a list of specs, followed by the full press release.

[​IMG]

Here's that spec-list:
    • LTE-A 150mbps (Korean market)
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM 8974 quad-core Krait at 2.3 GHz
    • 3GB RAM
    • Wifi a/b/g/n/ac, Wifi Direct, BT 4.0 (BLE), USB 3.0, GPS+GLONASS, NFC
    • 5.7-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) Super Flexible ​AMOLED, 386 ppi Curved Display
    • 32 GB + microSD (up to 64GB) Storage
    • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
    • 13MP AF with flash
    • 2MP Front Camera - Drama Shot, Sound & Shot, Animated Photo, Eraser, Best Photo, Best Face, Beauty Face, HDR (High Dynamic Range), Panorama, Sports, Golf, Surround shot, Live effect
    • Additional Features - Group Play: Share Music, Share Picture, Share Video, Share Document, Play Games; Story Album, S Translator; Samsung Smart Scroll, Samsung Smart Pause, Air Gesture, Air View; Samsung Apps, Samsung Hub, ChatON (Voice/Video Call, Share screen, 3-way calling), Samsung WatchON; S Voice™ Hands Free, S Health; Samsung Adapt Display, Samsung Adapt Sound; Auto adjust touch sensitivity (Glove friendly); Samsung Link, Screen Mirroring; Safety Assistance, Samsung KNOX
    • 2800mAh Battery
    Here's that presser:

2. hradek422

hradek422 Member

I feel like I'm not impressed by this. We've already seen a curved glass screen from them with the Galaxy Nexus.
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

And the way this is curved...I don't know. But I don't see it being very popular.

Plus, what's the point of an unbreakable flex screen if it has a sheet of glass over it?
  4. jseah

jseah New Member

And what is the point of an entire phone that is curved? So it fits more comfortably in a back pocket?
  5. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

This.

I don't see much excitement for curved glass phones, but for home appliances...yes. Imagine a refrigerator with a curved door using this technology, to beautifully align with the design. Or a curved glass android device sitting on a kitchen counter with calendar events, pictures, etc.
  6. jseah

jseah New Member

I also read that the phone will sell for $1,000 without a contract.
  7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I guess that's one way to sell it - price it as a status symbol so people might ignore the complete uselessness of a curved screen.
  8. hradek422

hradek422 Member

In addition to this, the ability to scan items into your fridge, and an app on screen that will show you when items are about to expire or need to be thrown out. The fridge can connect straight to your phone and send you a grocery list based on the items that are going bad.
  9. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

1. Curved glass has more tensile strength than flat glass.
    2. Will fit in back pocket better. Being such a large phone.
    3. Will fit in your hand better (more contact area with your hand)
    4. Have to start somewhere w flexible technology.
  10. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

1. Do you have a source for this information? Traditional material mechanics say the tensile strength should remain the same, no matter the geometry of the glass. Any benefit from curvature would be if the applied load produced more compression in the glass then a typical flat sheet, since brittle materials are typically stronger in compression. But that's a function only of the geometry of the glass sheet and not the material's tensile strength which would remain constant. If your statement has something to do with alterations to the crystalline structure in curved glass or some other method for increasing tensile strength, I'd be very interested in reading up on it.

Definitely agree with 2-4 though. It would feel much better in my pocket than a flat screen. I think the phone is pushing it on curvature though. Any more and I think it would be annoying for watching videos.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
  11. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

well good, no stylus. I dont feel bad about buying the note. I was a little nervous there.
  12. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Was going to go there ^ on item 1, but HE did a find job of it, so I'll sit back and wait for the reply.

Also agree on the degree of curvature as being a nuisance for watching videos. Since it's curved on the horizontal plane, when the phone is turned to a landscape orientation it would mean the screen would appear shorter from top to bottom than normal, which would cause the image to be artificially shortened height-wise against the length, width-wise, making the 16:9 (or 16:10) aspect ratio no longer the same factors from the perceived angle of the eye.

This would make people look shorter and therefore heavier for the same width, and the farther away you look from, the more this distortion would be perceived. Not normal by any stretch (no pun intended), of the imagination as in movie theaters, if there is a curve, it is very mild and in the horizontal plane while viewing in landscape. Also, you are seated in such a fashion that the curvature puts you at approximately equi-distance from the center of the screen and the edges, so you are essentially inside the curve. In order for your eyes to be equi-distance from the center and edges based on those photos (imagine the phone as part of a cylinder), you'd have to hold the phone about 12" from your face at all times.

Only the iMax theater (and other globular screens), has curve in both horizontal and vertical planes, but then the image is corrected for the curvature and distance from viewing locations in the seats so people and other objects aren't distorted in shape and size. This is easy to do with a projector and correction lenses when viewing a fixed screen and from a fixed position, but attempts to do so in a fixed pixel screen held in your hand would be futile since your angle of view would change as you move your hands and/or eyes.

They say "The camera adds 10 pounds"...well they'd have to amend that to say "and the phone adds another 10". :icon_eek:
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  13. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

In other words it'd look like watching a video on a Xoom?

Speaking of 10" tablets, curving it in the opposite direction would do wonders for making things look larger , enhance the field of view even more and they since don't fit in pants pockets that wouldn't be a problem.
    I really do see this new technology being more useful on tablets, computer monitors, tv's, etc as far as electronics go.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Noteate
  14. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

Seems like opposite curvature would have been great for having a few people around watching the same thing at once with the phone in any orientation.
  15. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

Yeah, instead of having 2-3 flat monitors side by side in my cubicle, I could form a ring of monitors. No matter where I look, I'm working. :/

16. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Big RY, you may have hit on something... A semi-circle monitor with a resolution of 10,240 X 1600, which would be essentially 4 monitors in one, a full 180 degree circle. No break in the desktop at all... THAT, I could get with, though perhaps maybe not a full 180 degrees, but instead maybe 120 - 140 degrees? I currently have 2 large monitors but would love to have 4 though I hate the break in the middle. This is where I can REALLY see the curved display shine (pun intended - again)! :D
  17. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

Exactly what I need, more real estate for my folders, documents, and unused shortcuts

Search tags for this page
does samsung watchon cost money

samsung galaxy round