Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Now at Most US Carriers for Crazy Price of $400 or More On Contract

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-note-edge-held-rainbow-backg.jpg

It seems that Samsung and the US carriers who want to sell the Galaxy Note Edge are very "proud" of their device. That "pride" commands a price ranging between $399 to $429 ON CONTRACT! Feel free to spew your drink out in a fanning motion as you read that ridiculous price. While the YOUM display on this device is pretty slick and unique, it's hard to justify a crazy price like that. The off contract price is, of course, also a monstrous amount... roughly $840 to $950 depending on the carrier.

We suppose if you simply had extra money to blow, then this isn't that bad of a price. At least you would be getting a unique conversation piece that isn't about vanity so much as it is about appreciation for innovation. That is in contrast to the thousands of dollars those gold encrusted premium rebuilt versions of smartphones typically sell for. At least the Note Edge is a bit more justified from a value perspective.

Also, here at HQ we admit that we wouldn't scoff at anyone who purchased one, but would want to marvel at the phone in action instead.

Here are the links below to the three carrier versions:
Here's our Galaxy Note Edge dedicated section for more discussions: Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Android Forum at DroidForums.net

boidsonly

Reaction score
Sorry but I could purchase 2 reasonably spec'd laptops for that price (off contract). With tech getting more inexpensive to manufacture, prices of phones should be dropping, not skyrocketing. I'll pass at that price...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Ordering mine when the Mrs gets home from work. I would do it right now, but I'm overseas and that would mean entering my banking info on a network I can't guarantee is secure.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Placed my order and it has a back ordered status.

This is the same price that the Apple phones go for (off contract pricing). I actually paid less for this phone than I did my i6.

Caesars

Reaction score
This is very pricey. ....if the iphone+ 64gb can sell, I have faith in this, also I think this screen tech is game changing.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This phone won't be available on the market very long. It is already on back order.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Early adopters always pay the most in life for new inventions.

In Feb, this phone will be $99 on contract, and those who bought it now will be seething, and those who didn't buy it in Feb will be worried that the Note Edge 2 is just around the corner...

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
IMO this is just a gimmick like the LG Flex. It will have some initial popularity for those wanting something different. But the popularity will die off. I'd be surprised if we see a v2. But then again I may be wrong.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
They showcased another YOUM phone where the curve was at the bottom. I doubt this will be the last time that we see it.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
IMO this is just a gimmick like the LG Flex. It will have some initial popularity for those wanting something different. But the popularity will die off. I'd be surprised if we see a v2. But then again I may be wrong.

Unlike the LG Flex or the Galaxy Round, I think the Edge is more than a gimmick. I can actually see the usefulness in this. I really like how Samsung has utilized the added screen with a lot of their software. Third party support and development is really what will be key to its success (along with continued support from Samsung - which hasn't always been great on their experimental devices).

I'd really like to try it out, so we'll see where things stand with Verizon once they announce a release date and pricing (assuming they don't back out on carrying it). I'm extremely happy with my Note 4, so it wouldn't be the biggest loss in the world if I don't get my hands on the Edge for a while. I'd still like to take it for a spin though.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've seen a few videos and even if it didn't progress further in functionality it is pretty impressive.

My biggest concern was how the sidebar would behave when being held normally with your hand touching it. They say it is very good at differentiating between a finger and your palm.

Now all I have to do is sit back and wait and see if my order is fullfilled.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'd really like to try it out, so we'll see where things stand with Verizon once they announce a release date and pricing (assuming they don't back out on carrying it). I'm extremely happy with my Note 4, so it wouldn't be the biggest loss in the world if I don't get my hands on the Edge for a while. I'd still like to take it for a spin though.

Since the wife is moving to the regular Note 4, from the S5, I will be able to play with both versions to see which one brings more to the table for the user experience. The Edge looks to be promising, but who knows? It could end up being a trainwreck.

I'm fairly easy to please so I don't see much getting in the way of that other than accessories.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I still say this isn't ready for primetime. The way the screen/display angles off the edge would irritate me to no end.

When they can get a flush 90 degree angle, then you might have something. Capacitative buttons on the bottom or (preferably) top edge, maybe with a touch slider for volume controls....sign me up.

I think a flush edge display on either side could be interesting, but difficult to execute - double-tap of a shortcut (which you can place anywhere on that edge) could be useful.

I like my Turbo...if it had a 4.7" screen I'd love it.

_33

Reaction score
I want to get this, but my job seems to include me smashing 2 or 3 phones a year. What's to do?