Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Coming to US Shores November 7th

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I think whether it's a gimmick really depends on whether devs support it. They've baked nice nice features in, but if that's as far as it goes...

Sent from my Note 4

True. But even if it never went much beyond the baked in features from Samsung, I think I'd still find it very useful.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
True. But even if it never went much beyond the baked in features from Samsung, I think I'd still find it very useful.
They've given it a great start. I just always want more more more. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Happy wife = happy life.

Sent from my Note 4

She's the best! She asked me the price difference between getting another S5 (we are switching carriers next month) and getting the Note 4. I told her the price difference isn't much. She's moving up to the Note 4 instead of getting another S5.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I think my biggest concern with the Edge would be updates. Samsung isn't the fastest OEM out there when it comes to updates, although they have gotten better with their flagships. But in the past, they've often been significantly slower with their more experimental devices. I'm sure the Android builds for the Edge shares a large amount of similarities with the Note 4, but there's certainly enough differences to require an entirely separate development.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think my biggest concern with the Edge would be updates. Samsung isn't the fastest OEM out there when it comes to updates, although they have gotten better with their flagships. But in the past, they've often been significantly slower with their more experimental devices. I'm sure the Android builds for the Edge shares a large amount of similarities with the Note 4, but there's certainly enough differences to require an entirely separate development.
I think that all depends on how the code for the edge screen is integrated into the rest of the build. If it's kinda like its own separate layer that can just be inserted, you shouldn't see much lag between the two. If it's intertwined completely (which is probably better for overall usefulness and functionality), I think you're spot-on with your assessment.

Only time will tell...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The sidebar has its own API. Not sure if that throws a wrench into things or if it is a bonus.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think whether it's a gimmick really depends on whether devs support it. They've baked nice nice features in, but if that's as far as it goes...

Sent from my Note 4
Power Amp music player has an update that "adds Note Edge compatibility" or something like that. That's the first app I've seen that adds it. Hopefully there'll be more and it'll become a hit st some point.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4