Samsung Galaxy Note 5's 'Screen-Off Memo' Feature is Ported to Note 3, Note 4 & Note Edge

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Screen-Off-Memo-app-for-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3.jpg

Owners of some of the previous gen Galaxy Note devices who have been a bit jealous of the cool new "Screen-Off Memo" feature in the Galaxy Note 5 might see this as welcome news. Third party devs have ported the feature to the Galaxy Note 3, the Note 4 and the Note Edge.

If you are unfamiliar with this feature, it's you basically can take the S-Pen while the device is off, but can start writing on the display as if you’re just writing on a small notebook. Very slick!

Here's a link with full instructions and downloads: [APP] Screen Off Memo [Update: 21 Sept 2015]

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Pretty slick. I still see my regular lock screen for a second or two while it launches. I'm currently using my watch as a trusted device to bypass the fingerprint, so I'll have to do more testing when that's not the case to see if it'll work when the phone's wanting a fingerprint. I assume it will.

I don't use the pen a whole lot and actually turned off the auto-launch of the air command menu when the pen is removed shortly after getting my Note 4, but I could see this being useful. Need to jot down a quick note, just pull out the pen. Takes a couple/few easy steps out of the equation.

This was one of a few features of the 5 that I really wished would come to my Note 4, so thanks for sharing Stormy!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Pretty cool feature indeed, I have used it on a number of occasions. @Jonny Kansas , I have noticed issues with that trusted bluetooth and the fingerprint security feature. I tried having my car as trusted, but it would still need a fingerprint to unlock the screen, sometimes a fingerprint and a swipe. Odd it was.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Pretty cool feature indeed, I have used it on a number of occasions. @Jonny Kansas , I have noticed issues with that trusted bluetooth and the fingerprint security feature. I tried having my car as trusted, but it would still need a fingerprint to unlock the screen, sometimes a fingerprint and a swipe. Odd it was.
Number 1, when I tried to set the BT device in my truck as a trusted device, it "couldn't determine the device's security settings," so it told me that I'd have to unlock it once with fingerprint and then it would remain unlocked while connected to the truck. Kind of redundant when I'm wearing my Urbane anyway, so I just turned that right off.

Number 2, @SallyC figured out in another thread that, if you see the lock icon at the bottom near the home button/finger scanner, DON'T swipe that icon to unlock. It'll then present you with a request for a fingerprint. If you swipe up in the blank space of the lock screen while in a trusted area or connected to a trusted device, it won't ask for it. My contention is that this is added security. Someone unfamiliar would likely swipe from the lock icon to try and unlock your phone, but be stopped by the fingerprint scanner. I tried this myself several times with the same results. If I swipe the lock, it wants the fingerprint. If I don't, it just unlocks as normal. Here's the discussion where Sally eventually figured it out (post 11) Is Smart Lock broken or is it just me? | Android Forum at DroidForums.net Her issue is posted in the S6/edge/plus/etc section, but it works the same on my Note 4.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I fond of the thought of this app but I just don't think I'd use it. I'm going to wait for more reviews before I download it.

Note 4tified

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Scroll capture, or whatever it is would be a nice feature to get ported as well. I won't use this screen off memo very often, but when I do, I'm sure it will really come in handy. Kinda one of those apps that I'll keep installed for a very long time "just in case," even if I never really use it.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Scroll capture, or whatever it is would be a nice feature to get ported as well. I won't use this screen off memo very often, but when I do, I'm sure it will really come in handy. Kinda one of those apps that I'll keep installed for a very long time "just in case," even if I never really use it.
That's the feature I want!

Note 4tified

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I pull my SPen out, the air command menu allows me to write a quick Action Memo (like a Post It note).
I don't see where this would be any easier than what I do....

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Because this automatically launches to take notes & uses black, so it consumes less battery?

I also disabled the automatic launch of air command a long time ago. I'd rather use the pen button to bring it up when I want it than have it pop up all the time when I don't.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I can agree that the "on black" would be a battery saver.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Downloaded and installed.on my note 4 last night. Nifty and luckily it doesn't require root. I'm all for it. Small amount of lag, but no real issues.

Sent from my Note 4

jhom

Reaction score
I've been using the app for a few days now. I works well. There is a momentary flash of the lockscreen when you pull out the S pen before the Screen Off Memo displays. This app is what I wanted for instant notes. It helps me in my daily function. Kudos to the developer.