Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Might Launch Earlier Because of Weaker SGS4 Sales

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gnote3-rumored-pic.jpg

It looks like Samsung Galaxy S4 sales are much weaker than Samsung initially predicted. They had to revise their estimates for May, and reduce them by 50% down to 6.5 Million units. Ironically, part of the reason is that more folks are opting instead to buy the now cheaper Samsung Galaxy S3, which is something Samsung apparently didn't account enough for. Perhaps it is a good problem to have from one point of view. On the other hand, competing with yourself doesn't always work out in the business world.

To boost sales of the SGS4, Samsung intends to retire the SGS3 a bit earlier than expected. On the slip-side of this, Samsung will move up the launch of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 a bit earlier in order to give themselves an overall boost in mobile sales. This will also potentially give them a leg up on sales by getting their phablet to market quicker than HTC's T6. Additionally, it will offer consumers another Samsung alternative a bit before the announcement of the iPhone 5S.

Additionally, the pic above is supposedly a leaked peek at the new GNote3 from Samsung, although it does contradict some earlier leaks and could not be corroborated.

Source: PhoneArena

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I see no problem with retiring the S3. I'm shocked they still sell them after the new phone comes out anyways. I mean, sure sell off what stock you have, but to keep producing them?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Only so many slices to the pie. Many people bought the s3 and n2 last year. The low s4 sales are partly due to people having last years model or still have a few months left on their current contract. Now I tell you what, if they continue taking their sweet time giving us n2 and s3 owners 4.2.2 they are going to find themselves with low s5 and n4 sales.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Fuzzball

Reaction score
With the talk of the S4 low sales and the rumor about the potential early release of the Note3, I was hoping they'd announce it yesterday. Would have been prime time to do an announcement. I'm hoping they do release it, not just announce it, in the next month or two. Hopefully they haven't increased the physical size. The Note2 is physically just the right size for my hand and pocket.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only so many slices to the pie. Many people bought the s3 and n2 last year. The low s4 sales are partly due to people having last years model or still have a few months left on their current contract. Now I tell you what, if they continue taking their sweet time giving us n2 and s3 owners 4.2.2 they are going to find themselves with low s5 and n4 sales.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

hey can the n3 come out before u mention the n4 lol

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried the S4 "wanted to see what the fuss was all about" for 12 days, took it back and I am still humming along with my S3, the S4 should have come with minimum of 32 Gigs of storage for starters "too much memory is taken up by the OS", once you boot the phone you are left with like 9 Gigs. I have never seen so many S4 barely used "almost new" on eBay. Yes the S4 is nice, very light phone, nice screen "not a noticeable upgrade from the S3", but again it is Amoled and is horrid outdoors, like all Amoled screens.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Moving up the release of the Note would be really desperate. It's basically throwing in the towel that you're not cannibalizing S4 sales, but recapturing those S4 sales your competitors are taking. That's a pretty bold move, so I have my doubts it will happen (I'd generally expect the opposite - pushing back the launch - to be more likely).

The massively growing UI's are also out of control. Besides the [limited] storage the UI's are increasingly chewing up, it's also cannibalizing the ram with a bunch of features many people don't use. So if you're unrooted running factory default - how much incremental ram are you really getting going from 1gig to 2gigs after you subtract what Touchwiz/Sense/etc hoard?

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
Nice to see they might move up the n3 date. The s4 is nothing special if you own the n2. Only thing is 1080p display and little better camera. The n2 is no wimpy phone. I love mine. I can easily go 2 days with moderate usage and 1 day easily on heavy usage. I will be defiantly upgrade from my n2 to n3. I am just hoping it's not a bigger phone. If they can keep the same size phone but make the screen a little bigger I will get it.

debrad0307

Reaction score
When is the S3 supposed to be retired? Or is that a rumor that has not been confirmed? Just curious as to why they are retiring the S3 when the S2 is still available through some carriers.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 2

boidsonly

Reaction score
To be honest, I could not justify the cost of the S4 when my S3 is not that old. I pay full price to keep my unlimited data plan. Methinks Samsung might want to slow down the onslaught of devices and stick to a few gorgeous beasts, along with the lower end stuff that sells well.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
They really should space these phones out a bit.. Haha.... Let my battery warm up a little...

N2 Tap'd

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for a Droid 5, Motorola X, and the N3. Not in a hurry. I can still manage with my D4.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
They really should space these phones out a bit.. Haha.... Let my battery warm up a little...

N2 Tap'd

ha.. I don't mind the per year releases.. I'll buy them per year... just not at the release lol

Note Duece

debrad0307

Reaction score

N2 Tap'd

I'm with bkdodger they need to space out the releases of these phone. It seems like the moment I get the newest phone another one comes out right after that.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 2