Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Launched!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 18, 2011.

1. loki993

loki993 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Someone just to figure out how to port Android to the iphone lol. I know they've tried it and are supposedly still working on it, but I don't know if it'll actually ever happen to a point where it would be worth it. It would be so fun watching the iphone people cringe though when you show them their precious running android on it though.

2. Trusstopher

Trusstopher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +84
    iPhones would have to break the 4" barrier before I see that getting any traction...

3. loki993

loki993 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah I would also like it to have LTE too. Hopefully on the 5

4. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    I was willing to give up LTE for a 4" screen, but not having both was a dealbreaker.

5. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not putting anyone down, I said you must not have bothered to read it, not that you can't comprehend... The link I posted tells why they used the chip, so its not speculation. This is supposed to be a "news" feed right? Not propoganda. So I'm spreading the news that this isn't even as fast as the SGS2. I guess I'm supposed to just cover my ears and say "la la la" while there is disinformation being spread. People that don't understand all the technical mumbo-jumbo want to know that they are getting the best product when they are shelling out hundreds of bucks, I'm letting them know that this isn't it. What is wrong with that? Better to know the limitations than assume you got the latest and greatest...

You guys are "hypebeasting", I'm being the voice of reason. The Rezound looks to be a better product. But whatever, doesn't hurt me for you guys to buy something that is already outdated, sorry you didn't want my input.

6. sb1831

sb1831 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I really had to laugh at your post. I mean actually chuckled out loud when I read it. First you comply phones available on one network to those available to those on VZW. Two things I'd like to point out: One is that you're on DROID forums, a product line carried by VZW meaning that most people prefer the NETWORK of VZW over those of other carriers; the other is that unless all things are equal with regards to hardware, one can't even speculate what cpu performance, benchmarks and battery life would be. In short those phones don't matter.

I also absolutely LOVED how you called the processor in the RAZR antiquated. The processor in the razor became available in Q1 2011. How fast do you think that a handset can be developed and tested for wide scale release on multiple networks? 3 Months after a chip becomes available to manufacturers? 6 months after? The DroidX2 featured a CPU that was made available in Q1 of 2010. Even given the fact that Samsung produces their own in house chipsets do you think they'd be able to announce the Exynos 4212 in September and get it into the Galaxy Nexus in October? Let's be realistic and not delusional.

7. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +63
    And you believe everything you read on the internet?

Look, everything is going to be outdated so why worry about it? People get what they like, they don't care what kind of gpu it has. The people who are worried about having an outdated phone are the people that get a new phone every 3 to 6 months. It's not a concern for the rest of us who have other things to do besides worry about what's in out phone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Trusstopher

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +84
    My only issue with all of this is while, yes, these are both facts, there is still a degree of subjectivity involved here. When you say "not as fast" are you talking about "by the numbers" or actual experience. Will an app load faster on the SGS2 than on the Nexus? How do you know this for sure? The whole reason they went with the configuration that they did is because everything plays better together. Is it entirely impossible that, while the SGS2 has better numbers, the Nexus actually has better performance because all of it's hardware runs like the preverbal "well oiled machine"? And what defines something as outdated? If it still functions at a level that meets the demands of the consumer, is it outdated? Or does something become outdated as soon as the next generation of that item comes along? Are the B-52 Bomber or B-1 Bomber outdated because we have the B-2 Bomber even thought they are still two of the main workhorses of the Air Force?

We understand the point you are making, which is that the Nexus doesn't have the newest and most revolutionary hardware as some other devices, but what neither you nor I do know is how the hardware they went with will actually perform in actual use. Therefore, you are not helping people get the "best product" because there is no way yet to know which of these will be the best product just by looking at the quantitative statistics without having any qualitative facts to back it up.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Trusstopher

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +84
  10. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    My understanding was the "Nexus experience" was never meant to be the best, top of the line components, crammed into a Samsung body, and called a phone. I thought it was the best combination of available components, leaving the user with the best Android experience available.

Id much rather have a working (relatively) bug phone, than having all the top of the line parts trying to function.

• Like Like x 2
  11. alboboy10

alboboy10 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Idk he makes a valid point...iPhone has worse specs but somehow always is smoother than Android devices. Even the 4 is faster than several dual core Androids.

12. mcjonesy

mcjonesy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The reason for that is iOS. Think about it: iOS only has to play nice with a very limited subset of hardware combinations so it's a lot easier to make it as efficient as it is. On the other hand, there are a LOT more Android devices out there, it's infinitely more customizable, and it's open-source so you're free to screw it up however you like.

Personally I don't put much stock in benchmarks or which phone is faster unless I see them running the exact same software under the exact same conditions.

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

battery indicator on google ice cream sandwich