Samsung Galaxy Beam Announced

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
galaxybeam2.jpg

Mobile World Congress 2012 hasn't even officially kicked off and Samsung is already on fire with their announcements. First up was their 10.1 inch Galaxy Tab 2 and now they have unveiled a smartphone/mobile projector combo called Samsung Galaxy Beam. Samsung's press release highlights the possible scenarios in which you can use the projector.

With GALAXY Beam, a birthday or anniversary party can be enlivened in seconds by sharing YouTube or Hulu music videos straight onto a ceiling or door. Likewise, students can collectively share videos or study-work in any dormitory room or student lounge, turning group study into a whole new interactive experience right from a desk table or from the palm of their hands.

GALAXY Beam is also ideal for action-packed interactive gaming: Users can upload their own games or choose from over 1,000 games available via Game Hub, Samsung’s dedicated virtual gaming store, then project games to co-players or observers to turn gaming into an unbeatably interactive, shared experience. Additionally, GALAXY Beam is convenient tool for mid-sized business workers. An estate agent can beam images of candidate properties to customers as they tour them; or an architect can display draft concepts or designs to co-workers on the spot at a building site or public location.

In regards to specs, they are what's to be expected in a mid-range device. The handset is powered by a 1.0GHz Dual-Core Processor, 5MP AF camera + 1.3MP front shooter, 768M
B RAM + 8GB Internal Memory, 768MB RAM + 8GB Internal Memory, MicroSD slot (up to 32GB) and a 2000 mAh battery. Packing large batteries in their handsets seems to be a trend moving forward with Samsung.Much to the dismay of many, the handset will be launching with Gingerbread 2.3.​

Is the projector a little too gimmicky or will it be useful? Sound off.​

skostos

Reaction score
funny dude the whole time i was reading the specs i was thinking man what a gimmick to just throw a projector on an old phone and try to sell it.. so glad you asked! yeah definitely too gimmicky for me.. bout to put my nexus on craigslist for a galaxy s 3 that looks awesome!

empoweredh22

Reaction score
Wasn't there a phone with a projector on att a couple of years ago? Didn't it fail miserably?

empoweredh22

Reaction score
Also is this "Galaxy Beam" the "Galaxy B" we've been hearing about, or is that still a separate device? Because this definitely doesn't look bezel-less.

StephenWVU

Reaction score
Absolutely gimmicky unless one can connect it to a stereo receiver. It would probably be ideal to have an HDMI in port rather than just HDMI out, if it even has one. That way one could plug an HDMI going from a stereo receiver to the phone making the phone projector be the display and you could play things such as your cable box, dvd player, what ever you want into the receiver and have them displayed through the phone. I am not sure if that would give you sound from your phone unless you also had an HDMI out port which could go into a receiver. This could revolutionize phone video conferencing and I could possibly see that in the future with enough advertising to the right people: business people waiting on video calls at an office, if they get another port for a game control, gamers... I won't completely knock it but I can see potential.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Wasn't there a phone with a projector on att a couple of years ago? Didn't it fail miserably?

LG expo or something like that. It was windows mobile, and back when WP7 was coming out next year, and all existing windows phones where dead.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
would be great when you go camping, could watch movies on your tent's ceiling/walls or use it as a bright flash light. just record white screen and replay it non stop :)

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is no other phone like it in the market. My wife would love a phone like this, as she is always giving presentations and it's a pain to borrow a projector. Battery hog...nah..JUST KEEP IT PLUGGED IN.

I see someone having an extra long micro usb cable, connecting the phone to their computer to keep it charged, with software on the computer controlling the projector. Go Sammy!

[video=youtube;pSTOHmxb7PY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSTOHmxb7PY&feature=related[/video]

Last edited: