Samsung Files Patent For Bezel Free Display

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-design-patent-display-sensor-cutout-1-png.77851

Samsung has just applied for a design patent that features a nearly bezel free display with only a small cutout near the top. The cutout would presumably be for a camera, sensors and earpiece. So far early rumors surrounding the Galaxy S9 suggest that it will have a rear placed fingerprint scanner, Snapdragon 845 processor, and modular design. We aren't sure if the tech showcased in the patent is for the display that will be featured in the Galaxy S9. With the device being rumored to release as early as January it is not likely that it will feature an overhauled design. Are you a fan of the trend to remove bezels? Would this be going to far?

via AndroidCommunity

Attachments

• samsung-design-patent-display-sensor-cutout-1.png
    samsung-design-patent-display-sensor-cutout-1.png
    11 KB · Views: 2,766

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I think it might be going to far. I wonder how they will measure the screen size with the cutout. I know they normally go corner to corner but that cutout will be unusable real estate.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it might be going to far. I wonder how they will measure the screen size with the cutout. I know they normally go corner to corner but that cutout will be unusable real estate.

I was ripping the new 18:9 aspect ratios, but it seems like most of those have the cutout....so that ratio makes sense to be able to display 16:9 videos.

You COULD hide that task bar, but because of the cutout I'm not sure who would. I suppose you could make use of that space with widgets on either side of the cutout if you really wanted to, but it's not necessary with the better launchers able to scale widgets.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Essential phone should take note how to properly do bezel free display.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I think this is too much of a common sense approach to be patented. It's as bad as Apple patenting curved edges on a screen, imo