Samsung Fascinate...NO GOOGLE !!!!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't give up root access AND a unlocked bootloader just for any device : )

Wow me and I'll be there.....

These are my thoughts exactly and I thought they almost had me with the Pro, but no...nothing to see there

xliderider

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Bing and VZNav is on the Fascinate because of Verizon, not Samsung's doing. :mad:

The BOGO is very tempting on the Fascinate, but I think I will pass on it. I will wait to see the Verizon HTC Evo phone supposedly coming in December.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a Samsung thing anymore, some of the tweets I saw from other Android sites seem to think that Verizon isn't going to be allowing google search on any future devices due to some deal they struck with Microsoft. Dunno what to believe really... And yes I'm really really itching to get a new phone but like CK nothing released has excited me.

xliderider

Reaction score
If that's true about Bing being on all future Verizon Android phones, that is cr@p.

That is almost as bad as them putting that fugly red bar menu interface on all their phones like they did years ago. :mad:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
So does this mean no ability to download Google maps, My Tracks, Google Sky Map, Google voice search, etc? If so and this is the future of Verizon Android phones, I can see a lot of people switching providers.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't we determine the Droid Pro is just the world version of the Droid?

Downer.

I'm with CK, I need a bigger leap before I upgrade.
I'm really drawn to the X, but just can't pull the trigger.

Chris-pee

Reaction score
I am also waiting on HTC's next offering. I want a bigger screen, but the droids root and hack abilities have spoiled me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd love to see a knock-out phone with a 4.0" screen. 4.3" is nice, but just a tad big, and 3.7" is a tad small.... :)

713King

Reaction score
I don't know what some are you taking about the X not being able to load custom roms or remove bloatware. Half of you are very ignorant about the X, and what can be done.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have not seen the Fascinate in person yet. A friend got the AT&T version a couple of weeks ago. It had Bing. It had access to the market. I DLed Google Nav for her, but I did not get to Search. I realize VZW could be anther story, but surely the phone has market access.

Reaction score
My business partner just got his Samsung Fascinate today by way of our Verizon Rep...to his surprise there is NO GOOGLE anything on this phone. It is driven by a Bing search engine, and has no google maps and no access to the market to download. Appearantely the operating system does not support google apps. I can't believe there is no one saying anything about this and does anyone know who made this decisions...Verizon or Samsung...who's to blame

Reminds me of the time Infinity Ward released the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 without any Dedicated Server support.

:/

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'd love to see a knock-out phone with a 4.0" screen. 4.3" is nice, but just a tad big, and 3.7" is a tad small.... :)
I said the same thing lol

4" is the sweet spot.

Sent from my Droid

ionide

Reaction score
The only thing you can't download is Google Search. You have to use a browser to google search.

Everything else, google maps, etc. can be downloaded from the market.

Silverwing

Reaction score
...And if you REALLY want google search, just root. I am sure you won't even need to do any hacking, someone will make a script for you to kill bing and replace it with google. I don't know why everyone is crying about the software on a device where you can root and replace the software with whatever you'd like. If all else fails, you can flash a brand new rom on it.

Btw - motoblur is so much worse. It is infact, unbearable.