Samsung Fascinate...NO GOOGLE !!!!

GatorDroid

Reaction score
My business partner just got his Samsung Fascinate today by way of our Verizon Rep...to his surprise there is NO GOOGLE anything on this phone. It is driven by a Bing search engine, and has no google maps and no access to the market to download. Appearantely the operating system does not support google apps. I can't believe there is no one saying anything about this and does anyone know who made this decisions...Verizon or Samsung...who's to blame

Dragoro

Reaction score
My business partner just got his Samsung Fascinate today by way of our Verizon Rep...to his surprise there is NO GOOGLE anything on this phone. It is driven by a Bing search engine, and has no google maps and no access to the market to download. Appearantely the operating system does not support google apps. I can't believe there is no one saying anything about this and does anyone know who made this decisions...Verizon or Samsung...who's to blame

According to droid-life.com per a tweet, you can install google maps and stuff on it.

validoption

Reaction score

That would be a Samsung decision. I saw that about the bing stuff, but am surprised that there would be no Market access nor support for Google applications. That part just makes no sense.

Sent from my DROIDX

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
IIRC the Samsung Fascinate has always been said to be Bing Driven.....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Correct. I have an update that's burning to be used and I STILL can't find anything worth upgrading to.

Fascinate has failed to fascinate me. What a waste of a device.

Sent from my Droid

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Correct. I have an update that's burning to be used and I STILL can't find anything worth upgrading to.

Fascinate has failed to fascinate me. What a waste of a device.

Sent from my Droid

Get the X ya sissy...:icon_ banana:

OP
GatorDroid

GatorDroid

Reaction score
Where is this info. When he did a online search the info he found said the phone would not even support google maps without rooting it. I own a Droid X and i'm not familiar with the Samsung at all, but we have a large number of phones on a business plan (most Droid based) and he's talking about canceling Verizon he's so pissed and is blaming Verizon. I understand it has no Google Search, which means no google voice commands or voice recognition driven by google, which sucks, but is there an actual way to put Google Maps on the phone without any major mods?

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I like the fascinate... I don't care about bing because I can root it and install custom roms (cough droid X) to remove bloatware ect.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mrdroid

Reaction score
Everything I've read says the Fascinate should be easy root and ROM. If that's the case wouldn't the Fascinate with a CrystalClear ROM or CyanogenMOD ROM be one of the best phones out?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Everything I've read says the Fascinate should be easy root and ROM. If that's the case wouldn't the Fascinate with a CrystalClear ROM or CyanogenMOD ROM be one of the best phones out?

Maybe, but it still Samsung hardware.....dancedroid

mrdroid

Reaction score

Maybe, but it still Samsung hardware.....dancedroid

From my experience Samsung phones are hit an miss... same with Moto. Seems like a solid device though. I like it because of the screen size....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Get the X ya sissy...:icon_ banana:
Great device but not worth upgrading to. I can't give up root access AND a unlocked bootloader just for any device : )

Wow me and I'll be there.....