Samsung Fascinate caught in the wild

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
vd3azc.jpg

Ever since Samsung announced that the Galaxy S Series will find its way to each of the four major US carriers, only had Verizon's remained elusive. Until now. Photos have finally surfaced of the Fascinate in the wild, with Verizon branding. Now we wonder, when will Verizon launch the device? AT&T and T-Mobile both launched their Samsung Galaxy S variants in mid-July, and Sprint plans to launch the QWERTY-4G-enabled version at the end of August. Logic would dictate that Verizon has an incentive to wait out the launch as long as possible, so its DROID X and upcoming DROID 2 have enough time to penetrate the market.

To me, the Fascinate's form factor is very similar to that of the HTC Droid Incredible. Do note, the Fascinate, like all Galaxy S phones, has a 4" Super AMOLED display and a 1GHz Hummingbird SoC. No word yet if the Fascinate will launch under the DROID family line.

Also found in the wild was another Verizon-branded Samsung smartphone, dubbed the Gem. The details on the Gem are unclear, but we can tell it's more of a low-to-mid-range smartphone, with a smaller screen. If anyone's interested, here you go:

f0yx5u.jpg

Availability on the Fascinate and Gem are unknown at this time, but expect both sometime in September. And we are uncertain on pricing, but the Fascinate, as all other high-end Verizon smartphones, should launch for around $199 with a 2 year contract. Anyone interested in the Fascinate?

Be sure to visit our Samsung Fascinate Forum for all the latest discussions.

Source: IntoMobile

Thanks to Shadez for the tip!

Last edited:

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I am holding onto one of my upgrades for the Fascinate. I have the D1 and nothing about the DX or D2 fascinate(lol) enough to jump on those. I am intrigued by the fact that all U.S. carriers are going to offer different variations of this phone. IMO that means the phone has to be solid.

c0y0te

Reaction score
I'm interested to see how these catch on. Samsung phones aren't known for having the best reception, but these are supposed to be very easily rooted and the screens are probably the best in the industry.

The real test will be if the devs work on it. If they do, and they work on the new Samsung tablet as well, I might just have to get a matching pair.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
This would be my next phone but Verizon is pissing me off holding off the release while this phone is available everywhere else. My only choice for an upgrade right now is the Incredible because Motorola sucks now that they are locking all their bootloaders down. The like the Incredible but would like a larger screen, looks like I will be switching carriers to get choices that match what the open platform of Android.

Eli

Reaction score
My wife and I are both waiting for the Fascinate. Get with it VZW and release the phone already!

azules9780

Reaction score
i played with a Sprint Samsung Android phone the other day(I don't remember the name) and it was very nice and well put together. The keyboard was way better than my D1 and although the processor wasn't great, overall it was a good phone. The UI was nice and smooth.

I think this new samsung phone will be really well received by all carriers. Besides, if you give it a little more time, then all the other carriers will have solved all the little issues with it and VZ will sell a slightly tweaked, better phone in my opinion.

Codiusprie

Reaction score
i played with a Sprint Samsung Android phone the other day(I don't remember the name) and it was very nice and well put together. The keyboard was way better than my D1 and although the processor wasn't great, overall it was a good phone. The UI was nice and smooth.

I think this new samsung phone will be really well received by all carriers. Besides, if you give it a little more time, then all the other carriers will have solved all the little issues with it and VZ will sell a slightly tweaked, better phone in my opinion.

What is wrong with the processor? The benchmarks for the Galaxy S line of phones pretty much obliterates everything that is currently out.

azules9780

Reaction score
It wasn't a part of the galaxy s line. It was probably the phone released prior to the new galaxy line. That being said, it wasn't an extremely old phone either. It just wasn't as new and badass as what they are coming out with now. The quadrant score was close to a stock droid running 2.1. But the UI seemed to be much more snappier than what I remember the my droid stock being.

Let's put it this way, when I go to upgrade, I may very well end up with a samsung.

Codiusprie

Reaction score
It wasn't a part of the galaxy s line. It was probably the phone released prior to the new galaxy line. That being said, it wasn't an extremely old phone either. It just wasn't as new and badass as what they are coming out with now. The quadrant score was close to a stock droid running 2.1. But the UI seemed to be much more snappier than what I remember the my droid stock being.

Let's put it this way, when I go to upgrade, I may very well end up with a samsung.

Sorry, mis read your post. I agree, with Moto pretty much locking down their phones it is going to be a tossup between HTC and Samsung, the Galaxy S is pretty nice looking and the specs are just sexy. I am not up for an upgrade till next year though so we will have to see what is out then.