Samsung Facebook: Verizon is Getting the Galaxy Nexus in the First Wave/Others Later

screaminz2002

Reaction score
Went to Verizon today to check out the 4s (for my parents), and asked about the Nexus, they know nothing of it.

Yes I know people around here know more, but figured I'd give it a shot.

I haven't met very many verizon store employees who seem to be generally interested in what they do for a living. It's almost like the fry cook at McDonalds. He knows he cooking fries, he knows why he cooks fries, but is clueless as to anything other then dropping the basket. He certainly could care less past the point of being polite. On the other hand there is so much information available now days that people who are generally interested in one aspect can quickly know more then someone who must perform the task daily. The one I talked to about the bionic when they came out didn't know much more then how to work the phone and launch some apps. If you are on this forum chances are you know 80% more then almost every store employee knows.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every unconfirmed hint makes me a little more scared that Verizon will throw in bloat or something. Please Verizon, give us a true nexus

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

If Verizon made Moto lock the bootloader (which Moto claims), why would they ask any different of Google? But, on the other hand, why would Google release a Nexus on X carrier when it couldn't be the the true Nexus experience? Imo, if this phone is unlocked and non-bloated, there is absolutely no debating it. This phone WILL be mine. If Verizon somehow convinced Google it had to be locked down tight, then I'll be going with the Moto Razr.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I haven't met very many verizon store employees who seem to be generally interested in what they do for a living. It's almost like the fry cook at McDonalds. He knows he cooking fries, he knows why he cooks fries, but is clueless as to anything other then dropping the basket. He certainly could care less past the point of being polite. On the other hand there is so much information available now days that people who are generally interested in one aspect can quickly know more then someone who must perform the task daily. The one I talked to about the bionic when they came out didn't know much more then how to work the phone and launch some apps. If you are on this forum chances are you know 80% more then almost every store employee knows.

LOL very true. None of them seem to enjoy what they do and aren't very knowledgeable outside of what they're told, must be protocol?

Believe me, the amount of information here is way more than what can be found in 10 verizon stores, I been here longer than you my friend;) Just the first time I've walked into Verizon and tried to ask some questions regarding future phones and it seems they never heard of them. The guy also wasn't willing to help me look it up in the system even though he "may have heard of it".

This is seriously the best place to get information on Droids and Android devices.

Last edited:

TuxDude

Reaction score
I dont actually see any reason why this phone would be bootloader locked or with bloatware.

Earlier nexus models were released with carriers as well (though after releasing it on retail I guess) without the locked bootloader or any bloatware - I feel google would emphasize on sticking with the same approach for the galaxy Nexus to be called the current Google's flagship android phone.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Went to Verizon today to check out the 4s (for my parents), and asked about the Nexus, they know nothing of it.

Yes I know people around here know more, but figured I'd give it a shot.

I spoke to some people on the phone and they knew. Last week too.

StevieJ

Reaction score
Some of them know. A friend of mine went in to play with an iPhone 4S a few days ago and he mentioned to the lady helping him that he would be waiting for the Prime to come out before he made a decision. She agreed and said she was waiting on the Prime as well.

Last edited:

Artimis

Reaction score
If Verizon made Moto lock the bootloader (which Moto claims), why would they ask any different of Google? But, on the other hand, why would Google release a Nexus on X carrier when it couldn't be the the true Nexus experience? Imo, if this phone is unlocked and non-bloated, there is absolutely no debating it. This phone WILL be mine. If Verizon somehow convinced Google it had to be locked down tight, then I'll be going with the Moto Razr.

My prediction (and I seriously hope that I am wrong) is that if you want the Nexus, VZW will force you onto tiered pricing. Verizon probably did encourage Moto to keep encrypting their bootloader because it prevents kernel modifications. Without modifications to the kernel it would be much more difficult to tether for free without being caught. By keeping their bootloaders locked down Verizon is assuring that people with an unlimited 4G plan need to pay extra for tethering and that unlimited data is for the phone only.

On the flip side, to entertain the idea of a developer phone (relockable/unencrypted bootloader), the only control VZW would have to prevent/limit free tethering would be enforce a tiered policy on those phones. If people did perform kernel modifications for undetectable free tethering, 2GB would be their max before they incur overages..........and conveniently, ICS has such a feature to cut people off at the right time.

I really really hope I'm wrong on this but it is a predication that I can unfortunately see coming true. There would have to be some catch allow such an open phone on the network.

Cor3yS

Reaction score
Yeah hopefully they don't go that way, greedy bastards lol all this nexus talk is got me wondering so much kinda wish I was the Donald trump of phones and already had it. I would post actual vids of it doing work that would be the life haha

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

screaminz2002

Reaction score
My prediction (and I seriously hope that I am wrong) is that if you want the Nexus, VZW will force you onto tiered pricing. Verizon probably did encourage Moto to keep encrypting their bootloader because it prevents kernel modifications. Without modifications to the kernel it would be much more difficult to tether for free without being caught. By keeping their bootloaders locked down Verizon is assuring that people with an unlimited 4G plan need to pay extra for tethering and that unlimited data is for the phone only.

On the flip side, to entertain the idea of a developer phone (relockable/unencrypted bootloader), the only control VZW would have to prevent/limit free tethering would be enforce a tiered policy on those phones. If people did perform kernel modifications for undetectable free tethering, 2GB would be their max before they incur overages..........and conveniently, ICS has such a feature to cut people off at the right time.

I really really hope I'm wrong on this but it is a predication that I can unfortunately see coming true. There would have to be some catch allow such an open phone on the network.

You know I sure hope your wrong too but I almost posted something similar to this last night. It's too good to be true. I also thought I would never see another company charge for data again. I am sure someone remembers AOL? Anyone else get that 500.00+ bill back in the late 80's? Piss of a few hundred parents with the 1000.00+ data use bill and this will become an issue again just like text messages. (remember when there was no unlimited?) I am sure my daughter could blow up a 3gb data plan in 2 weeks by herself... There is no way I will pay for a tiered plan even if it means rocking the droid for another 2 years or going to Sprint..I am already considering buying some Sprint stock just based on them being the only ones with unlimited data plans right now.

loki993

Reaction score
So if its coming to everyone, which is what we thought especially since its went through FCC in CDMA and GSM form. Why did Verizon pass one the GSII again?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
So if its coming to everyone, which is what we thought especially since its went through FCC in CDMA and GSM form. Why did Verizon pass one the GSII again?
This, the Bionic, the RAZR, the Rezound. Verizon has a lot of new devices coming for the holidays. They probably passed so they would have a better chance of selling these devices without spreading the sales too thin.