Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
note7-fb-killed3.jpg

The Galaxy Note 7 A $17 Billion Mistake

Samsung has "permanently discontinued" production of the Galaxy Note 7, the company told Engadget in a short statement. Sales of the flagship phone were halted yesterday because replacements for the original, recalled model were still catching fire and exploding. Shortly after it started doing exchanges, the updated models were involved in several serious fires, causing the evacuation of a Southwest Airlines flight and a fire that sent a Kentucky owner to hospital with smoke inhalation.

We can confirm the report that Samsung has permanently discontinued the production of Galaxy Note7.

Samsung said that "taking our customer's safety as our highest priority, [so] we have decided to halt sales and production of the Galaxy Note 7," according to the Associated Press. However, it bungled the recall from the beginning by trying to handle the situation internally, rather than getting help from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Given that, it might be hard for consumers to believe that it's concerned about their well-being. More likely, Samsung knows that the Galaxy Note 7's name is forever tarred by the fires, explosions and recalls.

If you're still stuck with a Galaxy Note 7, you should immediately power it down and not use it. Though Samsung hasn't issued a statement yet, it will no doubt put a plan into action to recall all devices, either itself or through your carrier. The exact number of phones on the market is unknown, but it had sold about 2.5 million when the first recall was issued.

After very strong reviews for the Note 7 (including one from Engadget) Samsung was expected to sell nearly 20 million of the devices. The company's shares fell eight percent today, wiping $17 billion from its value.

Source: By Steve Dent@stevetdent

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
This is really disappointing! I wonder what will be done to those of us who want to keep this device.

If for some reason mine dies or screen breaks in my opinion any phone out there is a big downgrade.

I'm actually shocked they pulled the plug. But I bet Apple will do everything in their power to exploit this issue and obtain as many Note 7 customers as possible.

I'm keeping mine until it is rendered useless either by Samsung or failure.

Samsung Note 7.5

Beardface

Reaction score
This is really disappointing! I wonder what will be done to those of us who want to keep this device.

If for some reason mine dies or screen breaks in my opinion any phone out there is a big downgrade.

I'm actually shocked they pulled the plug. But I bet Apple will do everything in their power to exploit this issue and obtain as many Note 7 customers as possible.

Samsung Note 7.5
They're likely going to push an OTA update that will make your device unusable to the point where you must return it. They're not going to deal with the potential of being accused of not doing enough to remove these unsafe phones from the marketplace.

If you have a Note 7, return it as soon as possible. This phone has been deemed too dangerous to own by the company that made it. Return it.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

Samsung Note 7.5
Why shouldn't they.. It's good business..

Keeping yours IMO makes no sense. There will be no updates no support..

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I didn't like the S7 I had waiting for the new Note 7. I will never go to Apple. I'm stuck at the moment as to what to do. Nothing from Verizon on how to return it to get money back or exchange (and get money back). It seems just like for the replacement I just have to guess what to do.The Pixel not out yet so have to wait to see what it's issues will be. I would rather get it from Google than Verizon so updates are easy and less crapware installed but getting it from google means I pay for two phones which is not an option. Ideas?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's a shame but this is absolutely the right move by Samsung.

Even if they were to release a third fix the damage has already been done and they wouldn't have sold nearly as many as they had originally predicted. I mean I have people who don't know anything about smartphones asking me if my s7 edge is "the device on the news", it's that's bad.

I'm sure Samsung can recover though and they'll put all their mobile devices through even more testing before releasing the product to the consumers. Sad way to improve quality control but it'll happen.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I know.... just to test it out for a year so I can honestly say I've tried it. Seems like an appropriate time to do so...

From The Sexy Note 7♡
Absolutely, I don't like LG, Moto and HTC, need to test Apple to see if it's off the list as well. ;)

Sent from my New Note 7

realged13

Reaction score
They are going to have to take the phone from me before I return it. There is literally zero phones out there right now that I want. Seriously, none. I despise Apple and the Pixel blows. Everything else is junk. If I have to turn this phone in, I better get something big in return or I am going to be pissed.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'm waiting as long as I can before I do anything. My biggest complaint is I will get locked into a different device then when the Note 8 comes out I'll have to pay off a phone I didn't want to begin with. When I would ha e kept this 7 at least 2 years. There needs to be some clause added that those of that had the 7 will be able to get the Note 8 without penalty or something.

Samsung Note 7.5