Samsung Droid Charge Next In Line To Receive Update

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
chargeupdate.png

It appears the Droid Charge is going to be receiving an update very shortly. Verizon has announced FP1, which will fix some bugs and add a Verizon Remote Diagnostics application. The app will allow customer care representatives to better troubleshoot any problems you may be having with your handset. We are curious to see what the updated UI looks like, so Charge owners send us a pic. The full change log is above.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Has Sammy said if the Charge will be getting ICS? Just curious, because it came out shortly after the Tbolt, and HTC has said it'll be getting ICS shortly.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^
It wasn't on Verizon's 4G LTE ICS list (but the non 4G Inc 2 was), but I don't believe they've "officially" said it won't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the update that contained the new “Remote Diagnostics” tool?

Verizon adding remote diagnostics tool to devices; no Carrier IQ-like spying features included

Seems pretty shady to me. Seems like if anyone ever who was rooted wanted to call CS for an issue it would go 1 of 3 ways:

1) "Sir, we would like to initiate the Remote Diagnostics tool to verify your device."..... "Okay, go ahead."...... "Sir, I see that your device has been modified and I am going to have to note that on your account."

2) "Sir, we would like to initiate the Remote Diagnostics tool to verify your device."......"Sorry, I do not authorize the use of the tool"...... "I'm sorry Sir, then I can not help you, anything else we can do for you today?"

3) "Sir, we would like to initiate the Remote Diagnostics tool to verify your device...... my system is showing that the software is not installed on your device, I can not help you, anything else we can do for you today?" (Implying you are either rejecting their updates or rooted and uninstalled the tool, either way, they will make a note on your account.)

But then again, I don't even know how much VZW cares if phones are rooted or not...

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
...But then again, I don't even know how much VZW cares if phones are rooted or not...

I think they care more than they lead us to believe... How many unlocked devices are out there, and how many of those similar devices are locked on the VZW network? Like the Int'l Razr vs. VZWs Razr, etc. They always use the excuse: The needs of the average user outweigh the needs of the few who want to root and modify, therefore we don't allow it. Most probably because of the unauthorized tethering.

I see all of your listed avenues happening tho, and most of us here falling in to the 2nd or 3rd option. Tho I know our first option is to come here and see if we can figure out the problem ourselves before attempting to talk to VZWs customer/technical service.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I'm sure they care since quite a few people that root their phones also use root-only tethering apps.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think they care more than they lead us to believe... How many unlocked devices are out there, and how many of those similar devices are locked on the VZW network? Like the Int'l Razr vs. VZWs Razr, etc. They always use the excuse: The needs of the average user outweigh the needs of the few who want to root and modify, therefore we don't allow it. Most probably because of the unauthorized tethering.

I see all of your listed avenues happening tho, and most of us here falling in to the 2nd or 3rd option. Tho I know our first option is to come here and see if we can figure out the problem ourselves before attempting to talk to VZWs customer/technical service.

I'm sure they care since quite a few people that root their phones also use root-only tethering apps.

Before this thread goes too far down that path (my bad), a new thread was started to discuss this specifically:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...agnostics-tool-some-phones-but-not-scary.html

olytrojan

Reaction score
Has anyone received this update yet I've checked a few times and it still isn't showing any updates available?

krkelly

Reaction score
Will this kill root? If so, does anyone know how to block it?

peterh2583

Reaction score
Will this kill root? If so, does anyone know how to block it?

It keeps attempting to push to my phone this morning when I finally told it to do it, it wouldn't go through since I'm using PBJ (i think).