Samsung Discovers A Way To Nearly Double Battery Life!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Over the years many things have improved when it comes to smartphone technology. 5 years ago it would be hard to believe we would eventually have a device in our pockets that was on par and in some cases higher powered then our desktops and laptops. Smartphones have advanced in every way except for in their battery life. We now have 2K QHD displays, octacore processors, lots of ram, high end graphics cards, and some pretty amazing software. The only advancement we have seen so far is pretty much just larger batteries, and some software enhancements to improve battery life, but no real breakthrough technology.

Today Samsung announced a huge discovery that should double battery life. The way they are getting better battery life is by coating the battery with graphene. The material is conductive and can be grown on a silicon carbide and then can be combined with a lithium ion battery. This could achieve a battery lasting 1.5-1.8 times longer than current batteries of the same size. The technology could be used in all kinds of ways including extending the range of electric powered cars. Hopefully this won't mean the same battery life and thinner devices. I would love to see a 3,000mah battery that could last two days!

via Samsung

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There are lots of battery innovations that are still in the labs and most will never make it to production. Cost versus profit is the determinating formula. More ideas sit on prototype shelves in labs or in storage. Let's hope that this one gets past r&d.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I recall reading about it as well. Perhaps this process is cost effective and will make it to market.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I could only imagine the Droid Turbo getting almost 4 days of battery life from this Process. This could also mean making them smaller or thinner to make these slim phones have great battery life. The way CPUs are evolving this could be the time to get this in production. maybe Samsung may release this in their next Gen Phones.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Hahaha yea like this is actually gonna make it to consumers. The most cost effective battery life solution is a removable battery and thats being done away with, WHY? So when the battery dies you buy a new phone. Double the battery only to double power consumption from cpu/screens/data/etc defeats the purpose...

I honestly have to applaud Apple for not getting caught in the hardware race...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are there any tried and true methods to extending the life of your battery, versus extending battery life?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Are there any tried and true methods to extending the life of your battery, versus extending battery life?
Do you mean extending the runtime of the battery between each recharge versus the number of charges or lifespan? If so, there are plenty of ways to reduce power consumption and thereby extend the runtime of your battery. Obviously things that are most draining on the battery would be the screen and the radios as the two biggest. If you reduce the brightness of your screen you will decrease power consumption substantially. If you switch form apps or themes that use white backgrounds to those that use darker colored or black backgrounds, you will also reduce power consumption.

If you keep unnecessary radio communications down to a minimum or zero, you will also save battery power. Things such as turning off wifi or Bluetooth when not in use will reduce power consumption. Unfortunately with regard to cellular communications power consumption can be pretty dramatic if you're in a poor cellular service area and there's not much you can do about that other than simply turning off all communications during that time by going into airplane mode.

Applications running in the background also consume additional power. Applications that constantly check for updates such as Facebook and facebook Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, news feeds, email and texting, or basically for that matter anything that calls upon the Internet infrequently more frequently will increase power consumption. Shut off unnecessary widgets, and keep running applications to a minimum.

There are lots of discussion and threads on the web here in this forum and elsewhere that discuss many other more active or passive ways to reduce in power consumption and thereby extending battery runtime.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you mean extending the runtime of the battery between each recharge versus the number of charges or lifespan?

Sorry about that FoxKat..I knew that would cause some confusion, but appreciate your thorough response. I meant, I want to know if there are ways to keep the battery in my sealed phone working as well as it does now, for at least 2 years. For example, should I only use the charger that came with my Nexus 6? Should I turn turbo charging off? Should I use a trickle charge method? Should I just keep the phone in the box, and not use it for two years? ;)

JDH

Reaction score
My wife's razr maxx battery is now over 3years old and still lasting her all day and then some. I still kind of miss mine, great phone just left it on jelly bean, abandoned.