1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Samsung Debuts Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1, with Dual-core, both Thinner than iPad2

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 22, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

The live CTIA event kicked off this morning and Samsung showed off its new competition for the iPad2. They officially unveiled their Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 tablets. As it turns out, not only are Samsung's tablets thinner than the iPad2, but they also are sporting dual-core processors to boot. They also have Honeycomb and an improved version of Samsung's TouchWiz UX. Several previewers are actually saying that the TouchWiz enhancements improve the experience with Honeycomb. Go figure...

The two tabs are just .33mm thick, compared to the iPad2 .34mm. Samsung confirmed there will be WiFi versions of both devices. We've even got some info on pricing and availability. The WiFi 10.1 will arrive June 8th. The 16GB version will cost you $499 and the 32GB $599. The 8.9 is $469 and $569 for 16GB and 32GB, respectively. No word yet on availability for the 8.9. Engadget has a slew of additional pics on these.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Engadget
  2. DaWolf85

DaWolf85 New Member

Yes! Finally, a tablet that can compete with the iPad2 on price, size, and power! Now I feel more justified in hating the iPad2 :p
  3. tcayton49

tcayton49 New Member

.33mm? sounds a little tooooo thin. can't be very durable. :p
  4. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

i was really excited about this. until... touchwiz.
  5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Wait, wasn't it the Samsung exec two weeks ago who said their tablets sucked? Or was it Toshiba? Not it was Samsung, right? Was that some kind of twisted reverse psychology? Cuz these guys looks great.

-Matt
  6. Haloman800

Haloman800 New Member

If this has an unlocked bootloader, I'll be all over it.

If it doesn't, I'll keep dreaming about the Xoom.
  7. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

That really is looking like the right direction on tablets. Can't wait to see them in the wild.
  8. GeLopez

GeLopez New Member

Ok now you got my full attention tablet world
  9. SkullOne

SkullOne New Member

The 8.9 is exactly what I've been looking for in a tablet provided I can ROM it with a clean Honeycomb and no TouchWiz crap.

Need it to run the interface (XMBC) for my future HTPC project after I finish the man cave in the house the wife and I just bought. :D Access to fast e-mail or a quick web browse is just a bonus. ;)
  10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Liking this. And lets not hate on Touchwiz just yet. Also read on Engadget it will have re-sizable widgets. Looks like Motorola actually did something good with Blur last year...lol
  11. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Thin is cool, but when are they going to make these things foldable? :biggrin: I mean the first thing you do when handed an 8 x 11.5 piece of paper is fold it. The only issue I have with thin is that you have to continually adjust how you hold the device because after a while your hand cramps up. I'm not as concerned with the thickness of the device as I am with overall performance and battery-life.
  12. gadgetrants

Good point. I'm not sure I get the whole love-hate thing going that people have for layered UIs. It must be based on principle...here's my theory: if you're a "don't tread on me" type, you want vanilla, or the ability to customize at will. If you're not, you're OK with built-in customizations.

OK, that probably doesn't explain anything. I still don't get why it stirs up so much emotion. What makes even less sense to me, though, is why Android phones aren't designed with a customize on/off switch (basically like desktop themes), so you can have it either way. That'd be cool, and make EVERYONE happy.

-Matt
  13. AlexSB

AlexSB New Member

I like the way you think lol foldable tablets would be AMAZING. Only thing is mobile phones would become obsolete.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  14. gadgetrants

Didn't you guys see the futuristic Corning glass video posted here a week or two ago? Apparently we already have foldable touchscreen displays. ;)

-Matt
  15. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

i thought these things didn't even power on?
    and lets be honest, if apple made the ipad out of plastic i'm sure it would be thinner.

but it is nice seeing a tablet compete with apple on size unlike the xoom, but i still don't understand why tablets cost so much more then netbooks..
  16. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^Its like how laptops used to cost more (?) than similarly or better speced desktop PC's. The portability. A tablet is a lil easier to deal with than a netbook or notebook.

And like with a netbook or notebook it comes with the screen. U can shave some money off the proce of a desktop PC by getting a cheap monitor.
  17. gadgetrants

I don't think it's "portability" that explains the cost (hopefully you guys haven't seen my sermons on this question elsewhere in the forum!).

I've been wondering the same thing, and had long-predicted that Android tablets would end up $300-$400. My reasoning for why they're not--and instead are ending up in the $400-$600 range--is due to several issues:

(1) Apparently Apple has a choke-hold on touchscreens and memory, which is driving costs up for other manufacturers.

(2) To compete with the iPad, companies like Motorola, HTC, Toshiba, Samsung, etc. assume their tablets need better hardware. Hence, we have things like dual-cameras, dual-core CPUs, HD displays and HDMI interfaces. In particular, these are things that (I assume) drive the wholesale component build price past the original netbook price-point of $300 (consider that dual-atom netbooks run $350-$400).

(3) In addition to the last point, many tablets have GPS, accelerometers, HD-quality cameras, 3G/4G cards, and so on.

So the business model seems to be "put in as much digital bling as possible, and drive the price up to $500 or $600." If that argument is correct, then I wonder if there'll be a minor consumer revolt, and people will start looking for tablets that are little more humble in hardware AND price. Of course, the company I'd love to see fill that niche is Asus (like they did with netbooks) but who can predict?

Just my 2 cents!

-Matt
  18. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

.33mm? ROFL...the thickness of my fingernail, how impressive!
  19. Anomander

Anomander New Member

Well the good news is if it is that thin it should float like a piece a paper on the way to the ground if you dropped it :D I'll be curious to see what the Tablet market looks like around Christmas time. I should be able to fit one in my wife's christmas stocking at that point.