Samsung Countersues Apple for 10 Patent Infringements

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung_vs_apple.jpg

A few days ago we shared that Apple was suing Samsung because Apple believes the new Android-based Samsung Galaxy SII "looked" too much like the iPhone. Shortly after that we also shared that Samsung intended to counter-sue Apple for patent infringement. Today Samsung did exactly what they claimed they would do, and filed 10 patent infringement lawsuits against Apple. The infringements that Samsung is claiming relate to internal component function patents in smartphones such as reduced battery consumption during data transmission, reduced errors during 3G data transmission, and others.

It makes you wonder at the strategy behind it all. Samsung had to know for some time that Apple was probably infringing upon these patents, but because Apple buys a lot of components directly from Samsung for their iPhones, iPads, and iPods, they sat on it. Now that Apple is getting "uppity" about things, Samsung just whips out their "ace-in-the-hole". It also may not have even been that planned. Perhaps Samsung just valued the business partnership with Apple too much to ever bring up the patent infringements, but obviously Apple didn't feel the same way. Regardless of what you feel about Samsung, the lawsuit by Apple is pretty lame... there's nothing like biting the hand that feeds you.

Perhaps in the long run, Apple will see the error of their ways and stand down from this. Yes, the phones look similar, but it could easily be argued a ton of different smartphones "look" like each other. Also, if you really look at the phones, there are enough subtle differences that consumers will easily be able to tell the difference, which means that Apple will probably lose in court anyway. It almost makes you wonder what Apple is thinking. Samsung is one of their biggest suppliers. If they decided to cut Apple off, things would look fairly grim for the cheesy fruit.

Of course, the flip-side is true as well. Apple is Samsung's second biggest client, so ultimately this war of litigation could end up hurting both companies. But perhaps that is simply Apple's plan all-along... to reduce Samsung's ability to compete with the iPhone. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Source: Android.net via Phandroid and Reuters

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Nah, it would be far worse for Apple to lose Samsung then the other way around. Apple is full of a bunch of arrogant **:reddroid:** that think their poo doesn't stink. They probably think if it wasn't for Apple, Samsung would be long gone by now. Apple is on a downfall and they know it. They are doing whatever they can to still seem like a reputable company.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nah, it would be far worse for Apple to lose Samsung then the other way around. Apple is full of a bunch of arrogant **:reddroid:** that think their poo doesn't stink. They probably think if it wasn't for Apple, Samsung would be long gone by now. Apple is on a downfall and they know it. They are doing whatever they can to still seem like a reputable company.

describe downfall for me please? Did you not just see their newest numbers? They are on the complete opposite of a downfall actually.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

83% profit from last year....yeah apple is on it's last legs..these lawsuits are all they got.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Asperity

Reaction score
Now that Apple is getting "uppity" about things, Samsung just whips out their "ace-in-the-hole".

How is this their ace in the hole? They filed suit in three foreign jurisdictions: South Korea, Japan, and Germany. They didn't even respond to the suit Apple filed in U.S. federal court.

Skull One

Reaction score

Ignorance is a terrible thing.

Please read the following two articles:
Apple Overtakes Nokia As Largest Handset Vendor By Revenue - WSJ.com
Apple Rides iPhone Wave, iPad Backlog - TheStreet

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I am tired of all these smartphones looking too much like the iPhone. If I wanted an iPhone I'd get a freakin' iPhone but I don't, I want something that is recognizably DIFFERENT. When people see my Droid 1 in my hip-holster they immediately recognize it as the Droid. If imitation is best form of flattery then all these stupid manufactures who make their phones look similar to the iPhone are really saying "We're Wannabes."

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
To be honest, this is not what i expected sam to do... Its like "oooooo you got sued in germany" Haha ok. Its like i expected more i guess, like a U.S. lawsuit? Germany probably makes apple money but nothing like apple does in US. If both of these companies won their lawsuits, i think sam loses out still. Im hoping they have more up their sleeve then that.

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
I am tired of all these smartphones looking too much like the iPhone. If I wanted an iPhone I'd get a freakin' iPhone but I don't, I want something that is recognizably DIFFERENT. When people see my Droid 1 in my hip-holster they immediately recognize it as the Droid. If imitation is best form of flattery then all these stupid manufactures who make their phones look similar to the iPhone are really saying "We're Wannabes."

Well Apple is copying Motorola by having a phone that looks like a rectangular prisim.

Coincidence? I think not.

(In the chance that this doesn't come out right... both phones are bars)

Last edited by a moderator:

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
kylebean1_0.jpg

That is what I meant, sorry for messing up the forum border thing. No clue why the text came out like that.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well Apple is copying Motorola by having a phone that looks like a rectangular prisim.

images

Coincidence? I think not.

(In the chance that this doesn't come out right... both phones are bars)
That is by far one of the biggest image links ive seen. lol, like 10 lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Ry

Reaction score
Good. Apple should have known better than to mess with the big boys. I hope Sammy takes Jobs for all hes got.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
We should all sue Samsung for not updating their phones and having the nerve to price the Charge at $300. They're causing emotional distress. lol

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Apple is no more of a bully than any other corporation. These lawsuits go on all the time. It's just that Apple tends to be more of a target when the issue of suing comes up to the media.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
my biggest problem with apple is they sue everybody for stupid reasons they think they invented every single game changing product out there

You are definitely entitled to that opinion and I respect that. I just don't respect that sheep comments people always make because it's simply not true. Are there people who buy Apple just because it has the little Apple brand logo? Absolutely there is but the very same can be said for Android or any other major brandname.