Breaking News Samsung Confirms They Will Market Reconditioned Note 7's

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
SEOUL (Reuters) – Tech giant Samsung Electronics Co Ltd said on Monday it plans to sell refurbished versions of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphones that were pulled from markets due to fire-prone batteries.

104010099-RTSRK3Q.530x298.jpg

The Note 7s were permanently scrapped in October, roughly two months from the launch of the near-$900 devices, as more of the phones self-combusted despite a global recall initiated in September. A subsequent probe found manufacturing problems in batteries supplied by two different companies – Samsung SDI Co Ltd and Amperex Technology Ltd.

Analysis from Samsung and independent researchers found no other problems in the Note 7 devices except the batteries, raising speculation that Samsung will recoup some of its losses by selling refurbished Note 7s. The company estimated a $5.5 billion profit hit over three quarters from the Note 7’s troubles.

Samsung, which had sold 3.06 million Note 7s to consumers before taking the phones off the market, had not previously said what it plans to do with the recovered phones. A person familiar with the matter told Reuters in January that it was considering the possibility of selling refurbished versions of the device or reusing some parts from the recalled phones.

“Regarding the Galaxy Note 7 devices as refurbished phones or rental phones, applicability is dependent upon consultations with regulatory authorities and carriers as well as due consideration of local demand,” Samsung said in a statement, adding the firm will pick the markets and release dates for refurbished Note 7s accordingly.

The company also plans to recover and use or sell reusable components such as chips and camera modules and extract rare metals such as copper, gold, nickel and silver from Note 7 devices it opts not to sell as refurbished products.

The firm had been under pressure from environment rights group Greenpeace and others to come up with environmentally friendly ways to deal with the recovered Note 7s. Greenpeace said in a separate statement on Monday that it welcomed Samsung’s decision and the firm should carry out its plans in a verifiable manner.

Source (Reporting by Se Young Lee; editing by David Clarke/Ruth Pitchford)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Be interesting to see what market as they are still not allowed on american aircraft.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Only way is if the FCC does extensive testing. Thank god the airlines stopped that nonsense. Everyone kept asking me if my phone was a note 7. yeah that's why it says nexus on the back. idiots.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Might be nice to get one, on the cheap, probably not from a US source, but heck there's always ebay...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's a smart move by Samsung. At this point they already took a "L" with the note 7. If you can sell it as a mid market phone to places like China, where the laws may be less strict, then you soften the blow of the financial loss.

I don't see them being able to sell it here unless they change the name of the phone. Our laws are too restrictive. Plus you run the risk of it getting into a person's hands who are looking for a payday. Though the batteries have been swapped, they don't need someone burning down their crib and then calling the media. Despite that person eventually getting hit with fraud, Samsung don't need the publicity to get in the way as they are about to ride the S8 wave back to the top (potentially).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
It's a smart move by Samsung. At this point they already took a "L" with the note 7. If you can sell it as a mid market phone to places like China, where the laws may be less strict, then you soften the blow of the financial loss.

I don't see them being able to sell it here unless they change the name of the phone. Our laws are too restrictive. Plus you run the risk of it getting into a person's hands who are looking for a payday. Though the batteries have been swapped, they don't need someone burning down their crib and then calling the media. Despite that person eventually getting hit with fraud, Samsung don't need the publicity to get in the way as they are about to ride the S8 wave back to the top (potentially).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
PC has a good point, if sold outright here, the idiots that kept the "fire" going on this small thing will arise again with their shenanigans...
I'd still buy one cheap on the down low from my contact in China and keep my mouth shut...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Caesars

Reaction score
They should sell them as the "EyePhone 8" in China. The first to market eyephone with an amoled screen and sd support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk