Samsung Confirms Oct. 27th Event for Galaxy Note, Not the Galaxy Nexus

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 13, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

This report looks like good news and bad news, plus some worse news. The good news is that Samsung has confirmed that they will have a press conference in the UK on October 27th. The bad news (at least for those hoping to hear about the Galaxy Nexus) is that this event is not for the Galaxy Nexus device. Samsung confirmed the rumor that this event was planned all along and is for the Galaxy Note, the giant 5.3-inch hybrid phone/tablet.

The second bit even worse news is that the Apple memorial service for Steve Jobs will likely be held on October 19th. This is the same date that was recently rumored Samsung would hold their launch event for the Galaxy Nexus device here in the States. Since the whole reason Samsung postponed the CTIA October 11th launch of the Galaxy Nexus, was to offer respect to the passing of Mr. Jobs, it is now unlikely that the launch event will happen on that date either.

Of course, much of this date-changing was pure speculation to begin with, so we will just have to confirm things when they finally happen.

Source: GalaxyForums.net via PhoneArena

Updated: This writer confused funeral service with Apple's memorial service. Doh!
  2. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

What? Everything I read online said his funeral was held privately on 10/7.
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

And another 12 days is, ummm, a bit long to delay a funeral.
  4. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

Yeah that makes no sense whatsoever. And I'll say what I said in the rumor mill thread:

If the Nexus doesn't get announced BEFORE the 27th, then something has to be going on. Why would they postpone the release because of Steve, not announce a re-scheduled date, and then proceed to unveil a different phone on the 27th? If the Nexus will really be announced in Hong Kong on the 19th, why hasn't it been made public yet? We knew about the 10/11 event weeks before. Something doesn't add up. I'm an auditor so it's my job to be skeptical. Sorry :)
  5. Batfan.com

Batfan.com New Member

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what that drawing app is? In the photo above?
  6. sc0rch3d

sc0rch3d New Member

confusing for 2 reasons

1. i thought the "employee" event was on the 19th (i may be wrong here)
    2. the other rumor was a patent issue (not steve jobs passing), so why would they care if the event was on the 19th?
  7. jonnhatch

jonnhatch New Member

I kind of want the Note. It looks sweet. Anyone know whether its coming to Verizon?
  8. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

There has never been on official release date or anything regarding the Nexus, so how can there be any delays???? People here rumors and take them as gospel and then get upset when the rumors don't prove true.
    1 person likes this.
  9. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

here = hear
  10. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

darn. I wsa hoping for Q1. I really want that phone, but my upgrade is in March. Hope its still around by then. Hope its easily modified too =)
  11. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

If the announcement doesn't happen by the 19th I may go ahead and buy the 4S. I can always return it or sell it (they really hold their value) when the Nexus comes out.
  12. Trusstopher

Trusstopher DF Super Moderator

Don't think you have much to worry about, it should still be around and probably at a great price. And if it is not, that should me that something mind-blowing came along to push it out.

As far as the Note is concerned, first rumors I heard was that it wouldn't get a US launch... we may find out different on the 27th.
  13. Trusstopher

Trusstopher DF Super Moderator

I see a lot of people with this "or just sell it" mentality if they decide to go with a different phone... it seems like such a pain to unload a high dollar device to me... what method do people usually use to sell off a new or slight used phone? What kind of value recuperation is usually expected? 75% retail?
  14. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

While they didn't say specifically the nexus they did have it lined up for ctia and then canceled it. No phone is going to be announced through the media invitation as that would technically be announcing the device. The next best thing and its what they always do and did for this device was It was heavily hinted at, invited the media and lots of winks and nods for the CTIA event....Look at the invitation. Google event and Samsung event. They couldn't have been more clear without coming out and announcing the device...
  15. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Trying my best not to invest much thought into the rumors, but I can't deny there's a sneaking dread creeping into the back of my mind...
  16. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

I need a new phone ASAP. My D1 can't last much longer. If there's no official word by the end of the month, I may have to go with the Bionic, or the Vigor. :icon_eek:
  17. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

Im in the same boat...

what makes it worse for me is my wife decided to go with the stratosphere which launched today...so she will have a newer faster phone than me!!!!

18. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Ebay and Craigslist usually. The resale on phones is great. People will pay up to get a slight discount and be off contract.
  19. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

Absolutely. And if you don't want an easy, no hassle way to sell outright, Gazelle will buy the phone. Right now they'll pay $165 for a basic iPhone 4. That's not bad considering the phone has been out a while, it's not much less than what most people paid for it new on contract, and a bunch of people are unloading that model now that the 4S is shipping (you get more if you sell before the model is announced). The 4S should command much more early in its life cycle.
  20. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I just looked on ebay and the iphone 4 16GB on VZW is still getting $300.