Samsung Brings Next Generation Galaxy S5 Smartphone

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
samsung-galaxy-s5-official-mwc-2014.png

The time has come folks the Samsung Galaxy S5 is here! Available to U.S. consumers this spring across various channels. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, MetroPCS and U.S the Galaxy S5 will not disappoint. For all the details on the newest Galaxy S5 check out the full press release:

Galaxy S 5 Enhances Everyday Experiences Through New, Meaningful Innovations

DALLAS, February 24, 2014 – Expanding on its best-selling smartphone line, Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC (Samsung Mobile) is introducing the Galaxy S® 5 with new experiences, industry leading technology and meaningful innovations that consumers care about most. Samsung has also refined its wearables line with three new Gear designs that will change the way consumers connect while making it more personalized than ever before.

The Galaxy S 5, Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo and Gear Fit will be available to U.S. consumers this spring across various channels. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, MetroPCS and U.S. Cellular will carry the Galaxy S 5. Samsung Experience Shops in Best Buy, as well as Amazon, Costco, RadioShack, Sam’s Club, Target and Walmart will also carry the Galaxy S 5. Gear 2, Gear Neo 2 and Gear Fit will be available through carrier and retail channels, including the Samsung Experience Shops in Best Buy.

The Galaxy S 5 delivers unrivaled experiences on a brilliant 5.1-inch display, powered by technology that enables amazing new camera experiences, lightning fast data connections, and health and wellness monitoring. Building on the innovation of Galaxy Gear, Samsung’s first wearable device, Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo each bring new and refined features based on consumer feedback. Gear Fit was designed with health and wellness in mind, so users can stay connected while maintaining their active lifestyle†.

“Samsung continues to lead and define the direction of mobile technology with unmatched innovation,” said Gregory Lee, president and CEO of Samsung Telecommunications America and Samsung Electronics North America Headquarters. “We listened to consumers and the Galaxy S 5 and new Gears bring enhancements that give consumers meaningful and inspiring experiences they can use every day.”

The Galaxy S 5 Makes Everyday Better

The Galaxy S 5 introduces new features, designed with the consumer in mind, to deliver experiences that improve everyday life. The Galaxy S 5 delivers a viewing experience with an adaptive Full HD Super AMOLED® display with rich colors, darker blacks and faster response times for clearer high speed content. Wide viewing angles and crisp HD video on the bright bold display that adapts to bright outdoor sunlight or indoor ambient lighting means the best seat in the house anytime, anywhere.

The new camera features and simplified controls, paired with the 16 megapixel rear facing camera elevate the photo-taking experience.

New Galaxy S 5 camera features are intuitive and responsive for high-quality photos:

• Phase Detection Auto Focus: Advanced auto focus speeds for capturing a shot quickly - first smartphone with phase detection auto focus, a feature usually found in DSLR cameras
  • Real-Time HDR: High Dynamic Range (HDR) preview mode makes it easier to choose when to use HDR – like trying to photograph a beautiful sunset. It also enables users to capture HDR photos or videos with no shutter lag or post-processing.
  • Selective Focus Mode: Blur images near or far for a creative, one-of-a-kind shot
  • Shot and More Mode: The camera chooses and recommends Drama Shot, Best Photo, Best Face or Eraser shot after the picture is taken to create the best photo
  • Studio: Add effects to photos and edit movies with a complete suite of editing tools within the Gallery

With S Health™ consumers can access health info, track and map workouts and make and track healthier eating choices right on the Galaxy S5.The Galaxy S 5 has the world’s first built-in heart rate monitor (HRM) which provides real time data before and after exercise by placing a finger on a sensor by the rear-facing camera.

Key platform components of S Health include:
  • Nutrition: Meal tracking and planning with nutritional information
  • Fitness: HRM, exercise log, mapped runs and location tracking

The Galaxy S 5 is packed with leading technology enhancements, including Quick Connect, which locates the nearest devices to share content, files, or your screen through Bluetooth®, Wi-Fi® or Wi-Fi Direct™. A built-in fingerprint sensor unlocks and locks the Galaxy S5 and provides secure password protection to use PayPal for secure payments. The Galaxy S 5 also supports the latest mobile wallets, including Isis (a consortium among various carrier partners) and Google Wallet™.

The Galaxy S 5 uses the latest technology for the fastest browsing, streaming, and downloads, whether you’re at home or on the go.
  • 4G LTE Bands: Extensive support of U.S. carrier LTE bands and optimized to take advantage of the latest 4G LTE technology on all carrier networks, which means faster data download speeds and better coverage than ever before
  • Faster Wi-Fi: First smartphone with 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO support provides up to twice the download speeds for faster browsing and streaming

Last edited by a moderator:

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah! We rocked that out and got it up before anyone else! Nice work!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The phone is ugly, the features are things that are great for marketing but will mostly go unused. Samsung is just becoming the Apple of Android. They push out these 'features' that end up being nearly useless. Their all new UX interface, sure looks like TouchWiz. Their settings screen is horrible. So not impressed.

Rhino94

Reaction score
The phone is ugly, the features are things that are great for marketing but will mostly go unused. Samsung is just becoming the Apple of Android. They push out these 'features' that end up being nearly useless. Their all new UX interface, sure looks like TouchWiz. Their settings screen is horrible. So not impressed.

I agree. I would like to know when this is going to be released. If it is released during the time I get my upgrade I might look at it for a minute but I kind of like the Note 3 more only if it had a finger print scanner

hradek422

Reaction score
I will say, I was really caught off guard when the guy said "Our consumers are not interested in a lot of eye-popping 'technolodge.'" I am VERY interested in eye-popping tech. That's why I like the mobile industry, is so I can see what new tech comes out. That said, I do feel that the features they implemented in the S5 are things I'd like to see in the Note 4, and if they are implemented, I will most assuredly buy the Note 4. The Ultra Power Save feature is nice. I want the ability to shut it off if I want to, but it's nice that it is there. The fingerprint scanner, if accurate, will be nice for security, and will be nice when more sites and payment options support the feature. The camera features were neat, but not something that wins me over. My favorite was the Gear Fit. I don't like that it looks like it's forced into Landscape, as that would make it hard to look at without contorting in a weird way, but it looks sleek, and I think it would be worth a purchase at the right price-point.

Heart-rate monitor in the phone.... not really something that impressed me/ not really a feature I want on my phone, especially without seeing how fast and accurate it was.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Either the rumors were all wrong (which wouldn't surprise me), or the "Prime" will be launched later (which also wouldn't surprise me).

For now I am going with bad rumor along with the metal chassis and dual camera rumor. Having a metal chassis does not necessarily provide better drop protection as one with plastic. How the device is built plays a big part plus if you are one who work in an environment where you are subject to devastating drops then invest in a case.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Soo... essentially a LG G2 with different camera features. Kinda surprised by this approach to a flagship device, we've all joked about Samsung copying apple on various aspects, but now they're updating their phones like them as well.

Someone is going to jump in here and steal the show and for once in the last few cycles it's certainly not Samsung, and considering how much Apple has on the line right now it's either going to be them or HTC.

I know who my money's on.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, upgrades have become increasingly marginal, but with most users on a 2-yr cycle (and some going longer now), a marginal refresh makes sense because it's arguably not so marginal for people with a phone near 2-yrs old.

I'm thinking phone 12 months from now might take a major leap on the storage/ram side. Tech is already out, may not be quite ready for primetime and then longer still until price drops to make sense for the mass market (so possibly 18-24 months). But I'm thinking 4gigs of ram, easily, along with 128gigs+ of storage - with a 128gig SD card now you have something that rivals todays mid-tier laptops.

I also think the next big step is going to be "module" guts. There have been at least a couple stabs at a somewhat similar concept, but you slide out the guts of your phone and into a tablet or laptop. Then all the devices become "dummy" displays, possibly with an additional battery and/or storage. Upgrades would be much cheaper as they just need to upgrade the "guts" (basically just radios, cpu, and ram?) with compatible components.