Samsung Announces the 'Galaxy Golden' Dual-Screen Android Flip-Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-golden.jpg

Apparently Samsung didn't get the memo that smartphones killed flip-phones. In fact, not only do they have the new Samsung Galaxy Folder which debuted a few weeks ago, they just announced a second folding Android-powered flip phone. This new one is called the Galaxy Golden. Here are the specs,
  • Dual 3.7-inch Super AMOLED screens (on display on the outside and one on the inside of the flip)
  • Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
  • 1.7GHz dual-core processor
  • 8MP camera
  • "Easy mode" that can optimize the home screen
  • A pedometer that works with S Health
  • A business card recognition function
  • FM radio
What do you guys think? Is this just retro enough to be cool, or simply a dud?

Source: Engadget

xmguy

Reaction score
Hmm. FM Radio in this, but they OMIT an FM Radio in the Galaxy S4?!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The D-pad makes me laugh. Almost like they didn't know what to do with that space so they filled it with obsolete tech.

And LOL..."Galaxy Golden" for a phone clearly targeted at old people clinging to their feature phones.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I think a full size keyboard would have been better but maybe this is aimed at a target group in their "golden years"...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
People still listen to radio? :blink:

I do all the time in the car for the simple reason of limited data plans. If I stream all month, I use up nearly all my data, which is fine except I have to not use it for anything but streaming music.

xmguy

Reaction score
People still listen to radio? :blink:

Yep they still do. In a world where data plans are capped. FM radio is data plan free. However that's why Verizon and other US carriers eliminate FM from their phones. To force people to use their data plans.

Sent from my (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 using Droid Forums

xmguy

Reaction score
I do all the time in the car for the simple reason of limited data plans. If I stream all month, I use up nearly all my data, which is fine except I have to not use it for anything but streaming music.

Same here too. I use my 12GB per month for streaming radio only. With a bit of YouTube in there too. But it adds up. FM radio doesn't use data. Simply put carriers and FM radio is kind of like the prohibition of the 20ms. The government didn't care if people drank. But when they couldn't tax it that's when they started prohibition. Same for FM since the carriers can't charge a monthly use fee then they block it. If they could ever get money from FM radio use they'd be all for it!

Sent from my (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 using Droid Forums