Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Im a huge Apple fan, typing this on a 24" iMac as a matter of fact. "Moving it back out of respect for SJ" is pretty dumb if you ask me. Apple has sued the pants on Samsung, blocking sales of products, probably costing them millions if not billions. You think SJ would hold off a product launch if Bill Gates died? I loved SJ and everything he did for the tech world and for the wonderful Apple products he gave us. But delaying for that reason, if true, is pretty shocking to me.

rybnik

Reaction score
Its called taking the high road, if you ask me, this is politically and financially the best thing for Samsung/Google to do...

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im a huge Apple fan, typing this on a 24" iMac as a matter of fact. "Moving it back out of respect for SJ" is pretty dumb if you ask me. Apple has sued the pants on Samsung, blocking sales of products, probably costing them millions if not billions. You think SJ would hold off a product launch if Bill Gates died? I loved SJ and everything he did for the tech world and for the wonderful Apple products he gave us. But delaying for that reason, if true, is pretty shocking to me.

Not trying to be sarcastic or an ass, but I'm curious if you read through all 92 posts before yours before I reply...

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Not trying to be sarcastic or an ass, but I'm curious if you read through all 92 posts before yours before I reply...

see the quote below. Apparently this guy has reasoning skills.

Honestly, that's a lot of reading. I've been here since the beginning but I dunno if I would do all of that. Not saying it isn't worth reading through....

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, then I don't feel bad repeating my self, as you haven't already read it:

It's all about 2 things: 1) Paying due respect to one of the people who created this industry and 2) PR. It would be a PR nightmare to have a flagship phone released within a week of his funeral. A nightmare because you are fitting for the media's attnetion, a nightmare because it will look like you are fighting for the media's attention and trying to overshadow the funeral and grab headlines. Just think about the media taking this and running with headlines about how "evil google and samsung are for trying to schedule a big happy event in the wake of a tragedy" whether it was planned weeks in advance or not. All that can be avoided by waiting a week for your big announcement and letting people have their time and moving on.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
see the quote below. Apparently this guy has reasoning skills.

How about the post directly above yours quoting Google saying specifically that was the reason they held off on the release. Didn't have to cover 92 posts to get that. Even in the corporate world, it isn't smart to use someone's death as the reason to change the scheduling on something. And as someone else mentioned, the current Google CEO spent many years working at Apple.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
How about the post directly above yours quoting Google saying specifically that was the reason they held off on the release. Didn't have to cover 92 posts to get that. Even in the corporate world, it isn't smart to use someone's death as the reason to change the scheduling on something. And as someone else mentioned, the current Google CEO spent many years working at Apple.

Id already seen the story about them delaying the launch because of his death before I even saw this thread. And my immediate reaction was the same, to me it doesnt make sense. And you either misspoke in your post or Im not following your logic because you seem to contradict yourself: Even in the corporate world, it isn't smart to use someone's death as the reason to change the scheduling on something.

So unless that was just a mistake, you just said it isnt smart to use his death to change scheduling.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Again pure speculation, but based on a decent understanding of how businesses have to operate, especially in todays awful economy where the majority of disposable income has been disposed. As well as a lot of knowledge regarding PR and messaging, I believe the additional press releases were further evidence of this being a lot more about dollars, cents and sense.

Just like this thread, I would imagine word got back that plenty of investment institutions were also stuck speculating. The last thing desired is to leave an open end for the talking heads on all the business and technology networks to speculate on the sexier negative side.
Thus creating a vacuum which usually doesn't get filled with positive speculation and benefits of doubt. A big question mark oft results in feelings of fear in the market which leads to panic sell-offs.
If too much momentum began to build, after hours trading could become a nightmare. Since it's Friday, it would be difficult to get the message out during the weekend. This could have then resulted in major movement in the Asian markets Monday morning over there.
One should never underestimate the irrational behavior caused by the immense power fear can have as it hits people at a much deeper animalistic level, which causes all to ignore higher senses like reason and logic.
This way they have insured that the message they want sent is the message received. Now they look like solid decent guys who have big hearts.
I don't want to be cynical, but this was calculated. What I find rather surprising is that it wasn't part of the initial release, so all were left dangling.
On a personal level I am sure many involved are truly saddened by Jobs' unfortunate passing. But you don't get to the top of companies by allowing emotions to dictate actions. It is irresponsible and the people at the top are keenly aware of this truth.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
damn bongs where did all this come from you never talked this fantastically in the sourcery threads :)

I know 1 thing the only way i would delay the announcement is if people that were to be on stage were unavailable due to being at the funeral. As i understand many people within google,samsung,verizon were most likely associated with steve at some point and would be attending. But other than that i would not, and not because im cold hearted or anything, it just isnt good business practice to delay, especially with the recent let down with apples announcement. and to be truthful the second release specs excite me, the ones that kellex and people are saying(the first specs) are the nexus for verizon wont get my money. if it is the 4460 maybe but if no sdcard i doubt it. but if its clocked at 1.2 i feel kellex is right along with the already reported delay of the 4460 this would fit in with it being the same as the bionic, although not a bad processor not the next gen i am looking for. many know i have the g2x on tmobile (so it makes it easier for me to wait) as well as the droid on verizon which i have kept online to maintain the unlimited data. But if this pans out that verizon gets another dumbed down version that may be it for me. This is why i real cant wait for the announcement because there are so many rumors obviously they cant all be true and or false. i think its probably a combination of the 2, Hopefully it will only be another week. the rumored oct 27th new announcement date has been debunked so hopefully its sooner.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Whomever said it was basically lose-lose - either you can't get attention with Jobs' funeral, or you're demonized for not paying due respect - nailed it. The launch announcement came literally like 2 days before Jobs' death...I seriously, seriously doubt anything significant happened in between to delay it. You don't announce a big launch event unless you're absolutely ready to launch.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Eagle
Don't forget that I was writing those while under the spell of some awesome black magic.
Pure uncut Sourcery is powerful stuff, like you don't already know that.

Besides, this is a more serious thread than the likes of what we have in the Sourcery section. Don't worry, I'm still the same silly goof, but sometimes ya just gotta kick some hard core k-nowledge.
Should I change my name to Dr. Danceswithbongs or Professor Peacepipe?

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs