Samsung and Google postpone Ice Cream Sandwich and Galaxy Nexus Announcement

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Lets flip the situation... does anybody else here seriously think that Jobs would have cancelled a product announcement based upon a competitors death?

My thought's ... oh hell no, he would of kept on plugging away!

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets flip the situation... does anybody else here seriously think that Jobs would have cancelled a product announcement based upon a competitors death?

My thought's ... oh hell no he would of kept on plugging away!

And don't you think the android community would be massively be up in arms about it?

Again, it doesn't matter what apple would or wouldn't do... this is what Samsung and Google ARE doing.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

My thought's ... oh hell no he would of kept on plugging away!

based on what??? Your personal relationship with him? Apple may have some lawsuits going on but that doesn't mean they are heartless, regardless of the regurgitated hate you hear in some forums.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
There's always a few sides here.... Some would argue that it was the right choice and a show of respect. Others would argue that the industry should continue moving forward. Personally; if it were MY phone announcement; I would have went ahead as planned. The music industry did not stop when Michael Jackson died; why stop the Technology industry!? In the end; this is the route that Samsung and Google have chosen so no matter what we all want, it will not change. Again; I can only hope that this is the real reason and this does not morph into another debacle like the Bionic delays.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This postponement is out of respect for Steve Jobs, which is more than appropriate and a classy move by Google/Samsung. In a way this is their little tribute to the recent passing of arguably our time's greatest innovator and possibly CEO. Although a bunch of us were looking forward to the Oct. 11 announcement, I'm sure we can all understand how much Jobs changed the technology world, especially the mobile industry, and news of a new device can certainly wait for the grieving time of his unfortunate and sudden passing.

RIP Steve Jobs, again I wasn't a fan of your products, but you sure as hell got my respect.

rybnik

Reaction score
BMX is again urging the support of Tom Fleming...Hmmm.....

black_man_x The Panda King

Seems @tfleming223 has the real scope on the nexus devices.... I would follow him if I was you

36 minutes ago

@tfleming223 Tom Fleming
The Nexus does not need a CITA event, its existence is announcement enough because it is...THE MOST INTERESTING DEVICE IN THE WORLD

17 minutes ago via web

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm not so sure about this..... Steve's health issues were made very public so stock holders were in the loop the entire way. It's part of what made him such a keen businessman. The stock did drop slightly after his death ( 3rd UPDATE: Apple Shares Drop Slightly After Jobs's Death - WSJ.com ) and to say that the public perception would show Apple in complete disarray is a bit of a stretch. Since SJ's health was so well known throughout the industry (both professionally and publicly to consumers), I doubt people would have expected an on time release especially a few days after his Death.

Being in poor health and no one knowing the extent compared to passing away are two very different things. It's absolutely not a stretch for people to perceive Apple being in disarray if there were changes in the iPhone release. I'm not saying it is in disarray, I said perception. The new CEO is still unproven to many people, despite how long he has been involved with the company and many, many people consider Steve Jobs to be Apple.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
BMX is again urging the support of Tom Fleming...Hmmm.....

black_man_x The Panda King

Seems @tfleming223 has the real scope on the nexus devices.... I would follow him if I was you

36 minutes ago

@tfleming223 Tom Fleming
The Nexus does not need a CITA event, its existence is announcement enough because it is...THE MOST INTERESTING DEVICE IN THE WORLD

17 minutes ago via web

Unfortunately I doubt its existence is announcement enough haha

jcardona1

Reaction score
And for God's sake people, the ANNOUNCEMENT was delayed, no one said the OS and the phone were delayed. That's two very different things.

Nobody even knows for sure when the phone was supposed to be released. Until it's actually confirmed by Google/Samsung/Verizon, everybody is doing the same thing you're doing; speculating based on rumors.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Nope, nobody knows for sure at all, but the information sources that are usually very correct on their info seem to indicate either October 27th or November 3rd. They seem to feel rather strongly about that.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nobody even knows for sure when the phone was supposed to be released. Until it's actually confirmed by Google/Samsung/Verizon, everybody is doing the same thing you're doing; speculating based on rumors.

This is a good point. We don't actually have a launch date for the phone, so there really can't be a "delay" per se.

jseah

Reaction score
....many, many people consider Steve Jobs to be Apple.

Agreed. No other company has been so closely tied to their boss as Steve Jobs was since Walt Disney. I didn't expect the stock to take a dive from his passing as everyone already expected the end to be near ever since he stepped down in August. It is just that only a few people were truly aware of how close to the end it really was.