Samsung Ahead might be Samsung’s version of Google Glass!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Preach2k, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Reporter

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
    [​IMG]

Samsung has filed for a trademark on a logo for an unannounced product called Ahead… which seems to Samsung's version of Google Glass.

While the trademark application doesn’t provide a lot of details, Samsung does describe the category of devices which it would apply to, which paints a picture of a helmet with Google Glass-style smart features.

[​IMG]

For example, the trademark would apply to “werable telecommunication machines and implements in the shape of a helmet,” and “wearable computer in the shape of a helmet,” as well as “electric audio an visual apparatus” such as MP3 players, portable computers, or digital cameras.

[​IMG]

In other words, if Samsung is granted the trademark and some other company tries to build a helmet with a built-in smartphone, camera, or audio/video player and call it “Ahead,” Samsung would probably be able to take legal action… which suggests that Samsung’s product will be capable of all those things.

So what would you use a smart helmet for? I do not know… depends on the type of helmet, I guess. Samsung hasn’t provided any specs or pictures so it’s not clear if we’re talking about something that looks like a motorcycle helmet, a bicycle helmet, or maybe some sort of protective gear that you might wear in an industrial environment, on a construction site, or in a military setting. I have no idea if Samsung Ahead is a consumer-oriented product aimed at sports enthusiasts or an enterprise product aimed at industrial or government workers.

But a device that adds an internet connection and audio and visual cues to a helmet you’d already expect to wear on your head in some situations might be an easier sell than Google Glass, which is a wearable device that stood out like a sore thumb because it was meant to be used by people who wouldn’t normally be wearing a headset.

Source

• Like Like x 1
  2. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    If it's coming from Samsung I'm sure it'll be interesting. TBH, I'm surprised Google Glass died out long before it ever had a chance to get into the hands of the average tech consumer.
    Samsungs version of wearable tech has a much better chance of gaining traction than GG imho. Their advertising/promotional department has a much better track record than Googles' or Alphabets....which kind of seems odd being that they both have the resources & the talent.
    That's Sammy though...they can be on a frozen lake in January and sell ice cubes to an a Eskimo....& still make money!

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 1
  3. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +598
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Note8
    Samsung is Releasing NerveGear! Sweet!

4. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I could definitely see this being neat to have if you're a bike rider if someone develops an applicable heads up screens. Heck I would love it if someone would create an on windshield heads up GPS with a path line overlay on the view of the road (kind of like a route line you see in GT or Forza)

5. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    High end Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Audi, etc already have heads up displays on their windshields.

S5 tap'n