Same question, but different. Do you think we will ever get an unlocked bootloader

loki993

Reaction score
Ok this is the question that's been asked a million times, but there is a a twist with this one. The question is not when will it happen or will it, its what do you think? Really think.

So honestly do you think they will ever unlock this phone? Im thinking no honestly, just like none of their other phones are unlocked. They have never done it before. They have claimed that it was something they were going to do but have made absolutely no progress towards that, in fact just the opposite. They have managed to lock them down even more. So when do we stop letting them pay us lip service and just deal with the realization that if you want a moto phone its going to be locked and theres nothing you can do about it? That kinda came out differently that I wanted

monkey_man

Reaction score
Two Words... Mo Money!!!! No matter what... delicious wordings will entice more customers :icon_ lala:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The better question is...why should they.

Kimo91

Reaction score
The better question is...why should they.

Totally agree with you cereal. If/when they unlock the bootloader I see way more problems than solutions.

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I'd be okay with unlocked bootloaders if doing so makes the user go through 37 confirmation screens telling them that they are out of luck if something happens to the phone after unlocking. And DF bans anyone that complains about their defective phone's warranty being void 2 days after upgrading and unlocking (related or unrelated). Because the amount of rage that is going to occur (both related and unrelated) to the unlocked bootloader is going to be deafening.

Exception to this I would allow is a widespread defect of a phone. For example, all phone's assembled after October explode when calculator is allowed to run for more than 20 seconds.

I like people having choices. I like people being held accountable to their choices. And I dislike people complaining about something they agreed to.

Kimo91

Reaction score
My whole thing is if this were to happen, there will be countless threads complaining about how unfair the warranties were voided cause of an unlocked bootloader and how they managed to brick their own phones seconds after unlocking the bootloader. Right now a lot of people can't fully understand by deleting preinstalled bloatware after rooting, not only will that stop your phone from receiving official software updates but also can brick your phones. So again I see way more problems emerging from unlocking anything. I don't care now since its locked, and I'm not going to care if/when the bootloader is finally unlocked. Just my opinion and not trying to ruffle feathers, just how I feel.

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto will never unlock devices UNLESS they team up with google again and make a GED, like they did with the xoom.

eidian

Reaction score
Everyone that responded is absolutely correct. No manufacturer has any long term, financial incentive to unlocking the bootloader. Did you see any of the threads about people's problems/frustrations with the 173 update failing? And the people in here are the twenty percent that DO know what they're doing! Imagine what it would be like for Motorola if the other eighty percent of the clueless owners had an unlocked bootloader. It would be like the days of Windows 3.0 where people would be deleting files in places that they shouldn't be in in the first place.

Nope, locked bootloaders for Motorola.

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

Last edited:
OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
Wow everyone seems pretty against unlocked bootloaders. I guess I would have expected something a little different from a android development site

Zandar

Reaction score
Wow everyone seems pretty against unlocked bootloaders. I guess I would have expected something a little different from a android development site
You didn't ask if people were for or against unlocked bootloaders, but whether or not they thought Moto would unlock the bootloader. That's a fundamentally different question.

To get all Godwin up in here, it would be like asking if Nazis were for equal rights for all ethnicities and having people respond saying they would certainly not be, and then coming to the conclusion that all the respondents were rampant racists. Silliness.

On topic, I think that we have a chance for unlocked bootloaders once Google gets their new CEO in at Motorola Mobility, though it's by no means certain. I agree with what others have said, though: Moto doesn't have a compelling reason, on the surface, to unlock the bootloader (well, to decrypt the bootloader signature, technically). However, a CEO from Google may understand that the dev community embraces an open phone, and that drives grassroots interest and recommendations (not to mention the non-tech savvy feel more comfortable having the same device as their ub3r 1337 friends in case they have issues).

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
You didn't ask if people were for or against unlocked bootloaders, but whether or not they thought Moto would unlock the bootloader. That's a fundamentally different question.

To get all Godwin up in here, it would be like asking if Nazis were for equal rights for all ethnicities and having people respond saying they would certainly not be, and then coming to the conclusion that all the respondents were rampant racists. Silliness.

On topic, I think that we have a chance for unlocked bootloaders once Google gets their new CEO in at Motorola Mobility, though it's by no means certain. I agree with what others have said, though: Moto doesn't have a compelling reason, on the surface, to unlock the bootloader (well, to decrypt the bootloader signature, technically). However, a CEO from Google may understand that the dev community embraces an open phone, and that drives grassroots interest and recommendations (not to mention the non-tech savvy feel more comfortable having the same device as their ub3r 1337 friends in case they have issues).

Your are right, it was the question I asked. I do agree however they dont really have to or really have a reason to.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea... I'm all for unlocked boatloaders, but I don't see moto doing it anytime soon. It's possible, anythings possible.

I said this before..what would matter more to me if I was a business...RIM market ...or the root, ROM community
..even tho I seen articles about the iPhone and android replacing blackberries...I very secure Android phone would be extra incentive.

To show how far android has come with hardware and software....I'm typing this from my rezound...got it on 1-14..and have yet to root it or unlock the bootloader. I never rooted or unlocked the bootloader on my g nex till a few days before the 14 day return date. I did root my razr...only to underclock it and use root apps

On my droid 1..I got in Mar 2010...I rooted it and put custom roms on it days after getting it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
I have no reason to unlock the bootloader.

It was fun to have full control of my phones in the past. It was a cool learning experience but at this point I don't have time of patience for dealing with the headaches that come with these experiments.