Sales of the Galaxy S III Actually Surged After Samsung Court Loss & iPhone 5 Launch

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s3-sales-localytics-1.jpeg

Here is an ironic set of statistics that might frustrate Apple. Apparently, directly after two major Apple events sales of their biggest competitor's phones surged rather than declined. As you can see in the chart above, directly after Apple won the landmark verdict in court against Samsung sales of Samsung's flagship, the Galaxy S III surged. One instance might seem like a fluke, but it happened again just recently, directly after the launch if the new iPhone 5.

A new study from analytics company Localytics shows that Galaxy S3 sales are still high and growing from week to week. The study highlighted particular Galaxy S3 sale spikes in late August and mid-September, directly after Apple’s $1 billion court win against Samsung, and directly after the iPhone 5 launch. Here's a quote with some details,

The first spike in weekly growth coincides with the same week that a jury awarded Apple $1 billion for Samsung infringing on Apple’s patents. The deluge of post-litigation press coverage both drove general attention to Samsung and suggested that Samsung devices were similar enough to iPhones to be an option for many consumers.

The second spike started the week of September 12, when Apple announced the new iPhone 5. Apple’s announcement was quickly followed by hundreds of stories comparing the two phones, most of which again suggested they were similarly capable. That combined with the slowdown in new Galaxy S3 growth seen leading up to Apple’s announcement (week-over-week new devices were the same as the previous week, resulting in 0% growth) suggest that many consumers were waiting to hear about the new iPhone before making a decision.

If you read between the lines it's not hard to see that folks were waiting to see what the specs would be for the new iPhone 5, and afterwards decided that the SGS3 was the better value. Of course, it's also important to note that retailers where having sales on the SGS3 around these same times as well, but that alone couldn't account for the large sales spike. Could Apple's hype-machine and legal shenanigans actually be helping their competition?

Source: AndroidAuthority

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Its because bad publicity is still publicity.... just like apple is enjoying a bunch of free advertising from Samsungs current campaign of commercials :)

While its funny to us, apple is really laughing...:banghead:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think after the iPhone5 launch, people saw it wasn't much different and decided to go elsewhere.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
While waiting for 150 people to play with the new iphone, potential buyers got to mess with the Samsung model, had time to reminiscence about the commercial and how it portrayed iphone owners, saw 150 people proving the commercial true, decided go another direction.
That's my take on it and wonder how many actually did a side by side before deciding on another direction.
I believe Samsung advertising on Apple owners being clones of each other is almost as brilliant as when Apple started advertising a generic human being grooving to their personal tunes for the original ipod.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My wife is in the market for a new phone and will likely go with the GSIII. She loves the idea of getting the device that Apple is angry about. She hates everything about the iPhone (which I don't personally understand because they are quality devices), so an Android device that Apple wants to crush is exactly what she wants. Let's just all admit, I landed a great woman!