Safety Precautions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by themedicineman, Aug 21, 2010.

1. themedicineman

themedicineman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little new to rooting, however I figured out how to install roms and kernels by surfing through this forum and trial and error. The one question I have is what is this whole deal with "nandroid?" I used easyroot to root my phone and used rom manager to backup my roms, do I need to do anything else in terms of backing up roms? Do i need to install nandroid? Is there any other safety precautions i should take?

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    There are two recovery methods/processes. Clockworkmod and SPRecovery. ClockWork is included with Rom Manager. Both processes allow you to create backups and restore if necessary. A backup made with CW is not compatible with SPR nor are SPR backups compatible with CW.

Interestingly, RM will allow you to flash an alternate recovery, SPR. If you SPR you need to create a folder on your SD card called nandroid.

Hope is this helpful.

Mike
    EDIT

My best advice, which ever process you use, always make a backup before you make a change

3. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Nandroid is Android language for a full system/data backup, even though you are using ROManager to back up your ROM's (wich means your recovery image is CWR) if something happened and you weren't able to access that app, or your phone was stuck in a boot loop and you had to restore a back-up from your recovery screen (Powering up while holding power and X) your ROManager back-ups are stored there also, in a folder named nandroid, you would open that folder and choose from one of the back-ups you made via ROManager and then restore/reboot

Koush is the creator of ROManager and Clock Work Recovery or CWR so they work hand in hand

#3 DF Smod, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I learned ^this^ the hard way :icon_evil:

Definately, I have kicked myself a few times in the past for not following ^this^ easy rule of thumb

#4 DF Smod, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  5. themedicineman

themedicineman New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for both your responses. So what you are telling me is I am fine and don't need anything else? I have backed up my roms to clockwork. I did a search of my sd card and these nandroid.md5 files popped up in my clockworkmod/backup folder, is this what you guys are talking about? So I don't need SPRecovery?

Search tags for this page
cautions for rooted phone
i am rooting , precautions
precaution while rooting
precautions after rooting
precautions when i root my phone
precautions while rooting android

rooting precautions

safety precaution hacksand
what are safety measure should be taken after rooting
what precaution should take after rooting the android phone