Safestrap or Bootstrap

Tcizzle

Reaction score
I don't ROM so (yet), Safestrap or Bootstrap and why?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bootstrap is most similar to standard custom recovery on other phones. It doesn't have the safeguards available like safestrap.

Safestrap is a little more complex, but works seamlessly if you like to flash ROMs a lot or want an extra safety net. Check my guides for more info.

OP
Tcizzle

Tcizzle

Reaction score
So, Bootstrp seems to be fine for me to make backups. If i start to get into ROMing, i should probably switch to Safestrap.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have safestrap installed. I also have not installed any ROMs. Are there any situations where one is preferable over the other?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Im using bootstrap bc i'm use to the cwm ui. However I get scared bc if I was to bootloop with bootstrap then there's no way to get into recovery as with safestrap there is.

edwards2243

Reaction score
Im using bootstrap bc i'm use to the cwm ui. However I get scared bc if I was to bootloop with bootstrap then there's no way to get into recovery as with safestrap there is.

I agree. I'm still using bootstrap because I'm familiar with it. I haven't found a write up that explains safestrap good enough to be confident in using it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
Tcizzle

Tcizzle

Reaction score

I too am used to bootstrap. This may push me toward safestrap thouhgh. I'll have to do a little more reading on it.

scottocs

Reaction score
I would definately go with SafeStrap, which is what I prefer.
Can always get to recovery and I like the ability to switch to Stock if something messes up with a ROM or installation of a Rom.
You can charge your battery in stock if you mess up so much installing a ROM that you drain the battery.

OP
Tcizzle

Tcizzle

Reaction score
You have to be deoxed to install roms right?

OP
Tcizzle

Tcizzle

Reaction score
And safestrap it is. Install was smooth and all working nicely. Thank for all the input!

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
I always used Bootstrap but since installed Safestrap because I wanted to try Eclipse. Then I wanted to deodex my stock rom to add the Status Drop down bar. Safestrap wouldnt let me Deodex my stock Rom so I uninstalled and reinstalled bootstrap, then Deodexed and installed the Status Drop down bar mod. I also went ahead and paid for Rom Toolbox and modded the rest of the phone, love it even more now dancedroid