Safe to install official update on rooted droid?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kleinma, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kleinma

kleinma New Member

I have a droidX that verizon recently released another update for. I don't really care about the update, as it doesn't fix anything that I had problems with, however my phone will not stop annoying me (sometimes the middle of the night) with a series of somewhere between 4 and 10 audible indicators that there is an update available. Sort of sounds like if 10 people sent you text messages all at once...

My phone is rooted, but the rom is still very stock. The only things I have done, was that I installed an overclock utility to give the phone a slight overclock, and I also have used titanium backup to freeze some crapware that I don't want or use. I use a custom launcher, but that didn't even need root access to install.

Should the update install without issue? If not, is there a way for me to stop having my phone let me know about the update?

I only plan on keeping this phone another few months and then upgrading, but it has gotten really annoying to deal with.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 New Member

I would look for a ROM that has the update. More than likely that update will bork your root, so try and hold off until you get a solid answer that you're comfortable with. One alternative is to unroot, install the update, then re-root once someone fixes the issue. That's the safest, IMO.
  3. RockmanSolo

RockmanSolo New Member

I'm still pretty new to smartphones, but if I'm not mistaken updating would botch your root, as every new version needs another root fix... I think.

Modded devices: X Box, Nintendo Wii, PSP 2000, Droid X2 on CM7
  4. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 New Member

That's correct. Which is why it may be easier to unroot for now. Are you using a lot of root specific apps/processes?
  5. kleinma

kleinma New Member

The only apps I believe I am using that required root access were titanium backup and the droid overclock utility. If I were to install the update, I don't care if I lose root access (as I could simply re-root and reinstall those 2 apps).

I guess I am just looking for advice as to if I need to:

Uninstall the apps that need root access first?
    Unfreeze frozen apps from titanium backup
    or
    Is there a way to have my phone stop telling me there is an update?

I don't care if I lose the rooted functionality for now, I can configure that again. I just don't want to brick the phone.
  6. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

The newest update for the Droid X does not have a root method yet. There is a work around but it is messy. I would recommend trying to freeze the Updater.apk (may be SystemUpdater.apk or something close to it) which is in system, after freezing it then reboot, that should stop the alerts from happening.
  7. kleinma

kleinma New Member

Thanks JSM. I froze updater.apk with titanium backup, and will wait and see that the alerts stop (and my wife will stop yelling at me at 3am when it goes nuts).
Search tags for this page
android root system update
android system update on rooted phone
android system update rooted phone
can i install system updates to my rooted android phone?
install system update on rooted android
is it ok to update a rooted phone
is it ok to update rooted phone

is it safe to update a rooted android

is it safe to update a rooted phone

is it safe to update rooted android

rooted android system update
rooted droid charge system update

safe to update rooted android

system update on rooted phone
system update rooted android