safe mode nighdtmare!

MrMan

Reaction score
i just got the 2.1 update this morning and was cleaning up a few unused apps and i came across launcher. I couldn't believe I still had it on here (been using sweeterhome) and so i remembered i had to go into safe mode to remove it. Tried to get into safe mode no luck. thought, ok, i'm missing a step or something. looked up the directions to make sure i was doing each step correctly and still nothing!
i've held the power button and the menu button (keyboard) down at the same time until i saw the eye, until after the haptic then major vibration. i tried holding the menu and power, then releasing the power while still holding menu until both things i just stated and still nothing!
what is happening is after I hold the buttons until after the vibration one of two things happens,
it will go back to the screen that spells out droid then the eye or it will load normally, no safe mode on the screen.
i read somewhere doing a google search that someone else had this same experience and asked for help and no one replied.
i hope someone can help me out here, i really want to get launcher off of here, and maybe a few other apps.

OP
M

MrMan

Reaction score
wow, 52 views.. am i really the only one w/this issue?

Reaction score
I had this same exact problem and posted it on these forums but no helpful replys came so i just had to do without it until... i loaded on PETE's bugless beast 2.1 rom and it worked perfectly. So if you do not find a solution to your problem tht option is always open

Rollingbones

Reaction score
i just got the 2.1 update this morning and was cleaning up a few unused apps and i came across launcher. I couldn't believe I still had it on here (been using sweeterhome) and so i remembered i had to go into safe mode to remove it. Tried to get into safe mode no luck. thought, ok, i'm missing a step or something. looked up the directions to make sure i was doing each step correctly and still nothing!
i've held the power button and the menu button (keyboard) down at the same time until i saw the eye, until after the haptic then major vibration. i tried holding the menu and power, then releasing the power while still holding menu until both things i just stated and still nothing!
what is happening is after I hold the buttons until after the vibration one of two things happens,
it will go back to the screen that spells out droid then the eye or it will load normally, no safe mode on the screen.
i read somewhere doing a google search that someone else had this same experience and asked for help and no one replied.
i hope someone can help me out here, i really want to get launcher off of here, and maybe a few other apps.

Try pulling your battery and putting it back in. I had a coworker with a Droid and he had the Safe Mode appear with some of his programs missing. I hard booted it and it cleared it up...

Last edited:
Reaction score

Try pulling your battery and putting it back in. I had a coworker with a Droid and he had the SAfe Mode appear with some of his programs missing. I hard booted it and it cleared it up...
Actually he wants to get into safe mode not get out.

fgw

Reaction score
Had the same problem after a force close loop. Did battery pull and spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with two very nice Verizon techs. Could not get into safe mode and ended up wiping my phone. I was them able to go in and uninstall the offending apps. Try the rom as suggested earlier. Wipe your phone if all else fails. I got my apps back and only lost text messages.

OP
M

MrMan

Reaction score
fgw- i've never wiped my phone before. was it tough to do, and you said that you got all your apps back, including paid? do they automatically show up in the market, or how does that work. sorry to be a pain.

fgw

Reaction score
fgw- i've never wiped my phone before. was it tough to do, and you said that you got all your apps back, including paid? do they automatically show up in the market, or how does that work. sorry to be a pain.

It was not hard - just scary! I was told I would lose all my apps but they all reappeared including the paid ones. I am not sure if the market remembered them or what because I did not "restore" them from Astro. I had failed to back up a couple of apps and lost the information in them but - that was my fault. I believe that my force close loop was caused by live wallpaper and a conflict with screen rotation.

I'm not recommending it but it was my only option. My phone was suddenly useless and I had no choice. If you search the forum you can find instructions on wiping your phone. Verizon techs were awesome. I told them that I was sure the problem was software related rather than hardware and they did not care - they patiently worked with me for all that time until my phone was up and running again.

You are not being a pain. I understand. I was in a panic because I am a crisis responder with a 24/7 need for my phone and it had turned into a paperweight soooooo - I understand.