Sad Day (Fail Blog)

alfmoonspace

Reaction score
So glad you didn't use the toliet before the droid took a fall, how would you explain that?

yungo845

Reaction score
report it stolen because the sticker they automatically now its water damage.. also it's $89 deductible for the insurance cuz it's a high end phone gotta love verizon..lol

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can piss on your Droid in the store right in front of them and they will replace it if you have insurance. Well, for $89 they will.. And if they press charges it could get expensive..

gcs8

Reaction score
my friends iphone vibrated in to a cup of tea one day..... i sucked the tea out and shuved it in a bag of rice over night. wouldn't suggest for tolite water thow.

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
the water indicators are garbage unless the droids is better. mine activated on my voyager (only the phone sticker and not the battery) and it has never been in a watery condition its almost like i would take a bullet for my phone. it must of activated due to the high humidity this summer

and RinTinTigger do you mean saw dust?

miss chris

Reaction score
I was chatting with my verizon guy when I bought my droid andd we were talking about this very subject. He told me about a guy who brought in his phone to be replaced becasue it had fallen in a port-a-potty. The guy actually fished it out and brought it into the store and wanted them to transfer his contacts for them!! GROSSS!!!!!!!

BigTex71

Reaction score
If you had not turned it on after dropping it and just let it dry out first, it would probably be fine. Never, ever turn on an electronic device if it has water inside on the electronics. That will instantly short all the connections that have a 'water bridge' on them.
At least you should be able to get it replaced for the $89 deductible (if you can't try to sweet talk someone into replacing it.)

hazydave

Reaction score
For future information (hopefully it never happens again), don't power it on, immediately pull the battery and let it sit for a few days. Water on unpowered electronics isn't good, but water on powered electronics is very bad.

That's right.. water itself isn't an immediate problem for an unpowered device. It may lead to corrosion over time, but if you get the device dried well, it's not even necessarily a death sentence.

On the other hand, turning the device on while wet can kill it. Never do that. First thing, after any kind of water exposure, yank the battery.

Next step -- dry it out. There are various ways. You can put the phone in a bowl of rice for a few days. Leave it outside in the sun, or inside under a lamp. A little heat is ok and will help dry it, but too much can also damage your electronics... most consumer devices are good at a system temperature of 50-70C while off. Maybe a bit more, but don't push it, and in particular, any serious heating device may cause hot spots well beyond that, or warp plastic parts.

I do believe the Verizon insurance covers just about anything. My kids have each destroyed or lost phones, and they were covered. I never had insurance on a phone before, but I did get it on the DROID.

hazydave

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if after dropping it in water, you dropped it in distilled water. Then let it dry.

Distilled water is not a conductor...

It's not necessarily the water itself, but your environment... there could be dirt/dust, in and around the phone, that causes conduction.

It's totally safe to take circuit board that got wet and dunk it in alcohol... isopropal alcohol is routinely used to clean boards. But whether this will mess with other parts of the phone, you never know.

Keyboard are a big problem with they get wet. I don't know how the DROID keyboard is done, but it's common (I've seen this in many remote controls, and also used the same technique in my design for the Nomadio "Sensor" R/C controller) to use a carbon pill on a rubber membrane to complete circuits over carbonized or gold plated contact pads on a circuit board. If you get the carbon wet, it can bleed a little onto those contact pads, resulting in shorts. This is easy and relatively risk free to clean on a regular (and easily replaced) remote control... I wouldn't want to imagine taking apart a DROID to do this... laptops are bad enough.

akj27

Reaction score
But his device was already on when it fell into the toilet bowl... so would it really make a difference if you removed and the battery?

delaen

Reaction score
Yes, it would. If it's still on it means nothing has shorted yet. Water isn't inside, yet. Pull the battery ASAP.

romeov

Reaction score
So the moral of this story is.... fill all of your toilets with distilled water only.. just in case.