S8+ or Pixel XL?

mikeinctown

Reaction score
My trusty Galaxy S4 on Verizon is dying and I need an upgrade. I am going to skip past buying a used S5 like I had planned because well I just want something new once in a while. I am looking at both the S8+ and the Pixel XL. For what I do the hardware on each should suit me just fine, however there are some pros and cons for each.

S8+ pros for me;
Water resistant
Micro SD slot for expanded memory
Cons;
Screen size is odd
curved glass (I hate the curved glass)
Bloatware
lack up timely software updates

Pixel XL
Pros;
better size for me than the S8+
timely software updates
Less bloat pre installed
Cons;
No memory expansion
no water resistance

I was wondering if others who have weighed the same issues as I have could chime in with their reasoning as well. In the past I have destroyed several phones due to water damage. once was while washing dishes and once was a freak thing where I had to make a sudden stop on the highway and my phone slid from it's spot in my old vehicle right into a full cup of ice water without a lid on it. With my current S4 I can disable some of the bloat but canot delete the stuff. Does the Pixel do a better job of containing the crap they force on you?

Thanks in advance.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Depends on whether you want pure android that will get updated continually for at least another year or go Samsung with touchwiz.

If touchwiz don't bother you then go with the 8+. I am one who want pure android from Google so I tend to lean toward nexus/pixel devices.

OP
M

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Depends on whether you want pure android that will get updated continually for at least another year or go Samsung with touchwiz.

If touchwiz don't bother you then go with the 8+. I am one who want pure android from Google so I tend to lean toward nexus/pixel devices.

That may be part of the problem then. My newest experience with Samsung is from my S4 and the last time I had a more pure android was with my original Droid that I had rooted. I just know Samsung and VZW include a pile of crap on the phones that slow them down and use memory and battery and the phones just keeep slowing down over time. I'm one who will keep what works until it is no longer able to work. (my last phone cracked the screen and the one before that just wouldn't run any of the newer apps)

wardo

Reaction score
This time around i am getting either the LG g6 or s8 but instead of playing with them at the store i am going to buy one for the 14 days then return it. Then buy the other phone and keep it for 14 days. Need some real seat time these days to figure out what phone is best

OP
M

mikeinctown

Reaction score
After doing a bunch more looking I think I am going to go with the S8+. I think the water proof/water resistant feature means more to me than a more pure Google eperience. I've been using Samsung for the last 3+ years and haven't had much of an issue with anything except an app or two causing the phone to behave badly. Add in the addition of a memory card and I should be good to go for a while. Pricing is similar but at Costco the preorder gets you a bunch of stuff. I'm also interested at seeing how the dock works for the S8+ as I don't have a laptop.

One thing I have notices with the S8+ is that I really wish the screen was slightly wider and less tall. I have big hands and can't reach the top of the screen with my thumb to do some of the tasks I tried doing. The regular S8 is just too small for me but the + is ackwardly long.

drfredtx

Reaction score
I've had 2 Pixel XL's and both have had terrible battery life! Samsung for me!

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Just pre-ordered the 8+ through Sam's Club.. Can't wait

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Go with the best tech and go S8, it's far closer to pure Android than my S7...
IMO an S5 would be a waste, I was happy to trade that phone for the S6...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk