S7 and S7 Edge Home Button Scratch Gate!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
This is my home button after 3 month using it:
View attachment 76450

Perhaps you can see the black lines? This are some of the bigger one of my hairline cracks. The others smalller one are not visible in the picture. I don't know why. In the picture they are black, in reality they are "milky" white.
BR slowmotion2016
Do fingerprints still scan okay?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is my home button after 3 month using it:
View attachment 76450

Perhaps you can see the black lines? This are some of the bigger one of my hairline cracks. The others smalller one are not visible in the picture. I don't know why. In the picture they are black, in reality they are "milky" white.
BR slowmotion2016
That looks terrible. Is the large frosted gray area in the middle a place where the front glass surface is gone, or is it just the polished surface that's been scuffed? I see the cracks but I'm wondering if they're just cracks on the finish and the glass is still intact.

Some hard finishes, including baked on ceramics will show hairline cracks due to having a different expansion coefficient than the substrate it's baked into, so as the glass underneath expands and contracts the ceramic is less flexible and cracks instead. This is very common ceramic pottery for example but also shows up on consumer electronics which use the same baked on finish technology.

Given that your finger is warm and the glass is vambient temperature for the most part, the temperature difference will cause tiny fluctuations in the glass due to expanding and contracting as you place on and remove your finger from it. Each time the mating surfaces of the crack are pressed together again as it contracts, microscopic fragments chipped away, and dirt combined with fine oils get between the surfaces accelerating the wear and making the cracks more visible over time. This could be the reason for the cracks. Also as mentioned before, our fingers are dirt magnets and or fingerprints hold microscopic abrasives that when rubbed onto surfaces cause those extremely fine scratches, and one time can wear the finish completely off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Hi

Last edited:

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
What ever it was, glas or plastic, it is gone and Samsung says that is not in warranty. It is strange and so obviously, that is not my fault.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
What ever it was, glas or plastic, it is gone and Samsung, says that is not in warranty. It is strange and so obviously, that is not my fault.
Please don't misunderstand... This is CERTAINLY unacceptable, and you shouldn't be to blame. What I was asking is, does the button "feel" like it's gouged out in that dark gray area or is it just a visible aspect?

For example, here's mine but it feels completely smooth...

017f01e17c0c8e60fa5f3529fc6ec47c.jpg
7a3295067f474b10c17fc9139856df0e.jpg
2672adece010d2448056da3d7a8515f3.jpg

Last edited:

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
Since only my fingers touch the S7 and those from my doughters are not accepted, it is at least only a "cosmetic flaws of an 800€ smartphone"

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Since only my fingers touch the S7 and those from my doughters are not accepted, it is at least only a "cosmetic flaws of an 800€ smartphone"
Hey, I'm completely with you. This is unacceptable for an $800 phone or any appliance for that matter to wear in this manner. I believe it's going to become a real issue for Samsung and they're going to have to address it at some point. It makes the phone's look horrible. I don't know that I've seen similar wear on an iPhone fingerprint button yet.

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge

And whatever the surface consists of, beneath a unscratched plastic surface becomes visible.
And of course, i have 10 inches long nails, keys, sand and skrews in my pockets together with my S7 :).

KR slowmotion2016

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
And whatever the surface consists of, beneath a unscratched plastic surface becomes visible.
And of course, i have 10 inches long nails, keys, sand and skrews in my pockets together with my S7 :).

KR slowmotion2016
Well doesn't everybody?

But in all seriousness it's obvious that these buttons are not withstanding what I consider to be typical everyday use. They should be expected to look no worse than the display screen or other exterior surfaces after one year. They should not look like the paint on a K-mart bicycle after one week.

I was under the impression that the button surface was glass but that's apparently not the case.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wow do you guys have sand paper on your fingertips?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Actually in a way, yes...but it's a naturally occurring issue. Ever look at your fingerprints real closely, like under a microscope at low power? It's pretty grungy in those valleys, lots of oil mixed with dirt and fine granules of abrasives.

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
Please don't misunderstand... This is CERTAINLY unacceptable, and you shouldn't be to blame. What I was asking is, does the button "feel" like it's gouged out in that dark gray area or is it just a visible aspect?

For example, here's mine but it feels completely smooth...

Since the surface is gone in the middle of the botton, it feels not smooth any longer

2672adece010d2448056da3d7a8515f3.jpg

Looks like, that the surface is missing here too? Perhaps in a few days, you know what I'm talking about :-(

Best regards
slowmotion2016

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
P1050791.c.jpg

Here you can see the hairline cracks or scratchs a little better

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Actually in a way, yes...but it's a naturally occurring issue. Ever look at your fingerprints real closely, like under a microscope at low power? It's pretty grungy in those valleys, lots of oil mixed with dirt and fine granules of abrasives.

My next question is: is the button made different then on the Note 4? I am on my phone all day and everyday. I do not have any scratches on my button and I had my Note 4 close to day one.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My next question is: is the button made different then on the Note 4? I am on my phone all day and everyday. I do not have any scratches on my button and I had my Note 4 close to day one.

Good question, and my guess is that it is. Most likely it's made cheaper to increase profits.