S6 edge will not startup. pics of screen attached

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Judging by that static at the bottom, it seems like it might be a hardware issue. I know you mentioned it hasn't been dropped or been submerged in water, but what about it being bumped into or suffering some sort of impact? You'd be surprised that if hit in the right spot, these phones can become damaged without any physical signs of it on the outside.

Also, did it ever run hot or did you use it alot while it was charging? It's definitely rare, but the internals could've been warped somehow, enough to cause that static on the bottom.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My brand new Samsung Note 5 did this last year when it got it's first update. I took it to the Samsung rep at Best Buy. He tried to install the stock OS which would have usually fixed the problem. It didn't because the phone was missing a certain something. They had to replace it.

In any case, I'm sure your phone is not missing whatever it was that mine was missing because in the 16 months you've had your phone, it has sucessfully received updates. I would take it to a Samsung rep (maybe at a best buy) to see if they can re-install the OS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My brand new Samsung Note 5 did this last year when it got it's first update. I took it to the Samsung rep at Best Buy. He tried to install the stock OS which would have usually fixed the problem. It didn't because the phone was missing a certain something. They had to replace it.

In any case, I'm sure your phone is not missing whatever it was that mine was missing because in the 16 months you've had your phone, it has sucessfully received updates. I would take it to a Samsung rep (maybe at a best buy) to see if they can re-install the OS.

Judging by that static at the bottom, it seems like it might be a hardware issue. I know you mentioned it hasn't been dropped or been submerged in water, but what about it being bumped into or suffering some sort of impact? You'd be surprised that if hit in the right spot, these phones can become damaged without any physical signs of it on the outside.

Also, did it ever run hot or did you use it alot while it was charging? It's definitely rare, but the internals could've been warped somehow, enough to cause that static on the bottom.
I'm in agreement with @dezymond, that looks like a hardware failure. And I agree with @TisMyDroid in that it may be time to replace that phone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm in agreement with @dezymond, that looks like a hardware failure. And I agree with @TisMyDroid in that it may be time to replace that phone.

It may be time to replace the phone especially if it is a hardware failure.but I would first take it to a Samsung rep (usually can find them at Best Buy) to see if they are able to re-install the OS.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This is the same screen my Note 5 got when it received it's first update. The Samsung rep at Best Buy said it was because the OS failed to fully load. He plugged it into a computer to re-install the stock OS. That may be the fix this S6 needs.

6e21fdd4220729269f7cf943fb888618.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is the same screen my Note 5 got when it received it's first update. The Samsung rep at Best Buy said it was because the OS failed to fully load. He plugged it into a computer to re-install the stock OS. That may be the fix this S6 needs.

6e21fdd4220729269f7cf943fb888618.jpg

Wow, so it was an OS failure! Well that changes things. Great info.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Right, but it didn't have that gray "TV static" type image at the bottom.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Yeah, that gray on the bottom is a puzzle. That's what might mean it's a hardware problem but hopefully not.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This happened before the battery was drained to zero. Battery drain was happened when I flew back from Ukraine to Hawaii.

Vol up, home, power goes to the The custom OS screen as pictured. Any button hold or press during logo does nothing. Phone just continues to flash logo on and off
Was the phone in your possession during that flight or in your luggage where the environment isn't controlled? Most consumer electronics state in the fine print not to take above 10k feet and this is due to minute defects that could show up at high altitude .

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Last edited: