S5 Bootloops when battery gets low.

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
So this started a few months ago. When by battery would get to about 12% the phone would go into a boot loop. If I plugged the phone in, it would boot fine and stay on. Once I got the charge to around 15% or higher I could take it off the charger and use it until it got down to 12% again, then another boot loop. Presently it's now boot looping at around 25% battery life. My wife also has an S5 and it's updated to the latest firmware (as is mine), so last night I noticed her battery was at 8%. Mine was in it's boot loop having hit 22%, so I swapped the batteries. Her phone (with my battery) booted up fine and stayed on showing 22% life. My phone (with her battery) booted up, chirped that the battery was low and then went into the boot loop. So it would seem it has something to do with the phone. The phone is no longer under warranty, and actually we are about to hit our 2 years with them, so they'll be paid off and we are planning on upgrading. But I do want to keep this phone for a backup, so I would *like* to get this fixed, if the fix is free, he he.

Thanks.

I did find another post about a similar issue here: Dead battery causes boot loop?
but it's for a different phone, and my problem seems to be with my phone, not the battery.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
@FoxKat can chime in because he will know more than I do about this but I'll give it a shot.

It could be that your phone's battery indicator is showing 15% when the battery is really at 0% because the calibration is off. Try charging your phone to 100% while the phone is off, then use it till it starts bootlooping again, then charge the phone to 100% while off again. Do this a couple times. It may recalibrate so that your phone is reading the correct state of charge.

A factory data reset may also fix the problem. Doing an fdr well erase all data on your phone so make sure you back up everything you want to save first and make sure your phone's battery is at 100% when doing the fdr.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
As for your first point, that's what I thought, but when I swapped the batteries with my wife's phone hers came on just fine and stayed on.

I have done the charge to full while the phone is off, but I haven't done a few cycles of that.

I really hope I don't have to do a factory reset, but if that's what needs to be done I'll do it. I'll save that for a last resort though :).

Thanks for your input.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
As for your first point, that's what I thought, but when I swapped the batteries with my wife's phone hers came on just fine and stayed on.

I have done the charge to full while the phone is off, but I haven't done a few cycles of that.

I really hope I don't have to do a factory reset, but if that's what needs to be done I'll do it. I'll save that for a last resort though :).

Thanks for your input.

I hope you don't have to do an fdr too. But if you do, it is like having a brand new phone (my attempt at thinking positive).

If it's how your phone is reading the state of charge (soc) for the battery, then your phone would read her battery's soc erroneously on your phone the same as your battery's soc... and vice versa; her phone would read your battery's soc correctly. Given that, hopefully running the phone through a few charging cycles while the phone is off will hopefully recalibrate how your phone is reading the battery's soc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
So I let my battery drain by just loading Pokemon Go (since that drains your battery), and my battery actually drained down to about 2% before flashing the "plug me in" screen and shutting off. I guess after did my battery swap test and then plugged it back in, it may have done a full charge. I am going to do another round of it tonight after work. But hopefully that has fixed my issue.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Not sure what could be causing your bootloop, but I can tell you that letting your device dip below 15% on a regular basis is not good for it. Your better off plugging it in midday for a little bit, or when it hits between 50-60% this way it'll get you through the end of the day so you're not regularly taxing your device, or your battery by letting it drop below 15%. You'll have a much healthier & longer lasting battery if you throw it on the charger much sooner than that. Obviously we can't always get to a charger before that happens, but try to make a habit of putting it on the charger before it dips below 20%.
Good luck with the bootloop issue....if all else fails an FDR will be your best bet.

S5 tap'n