S4 Reboots by it self 3AM

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
I did a Google search - did not see this come up.

Was just sitting there watching a movie - look over to see S4 go through complete shut down - reboot.
It has the latest update.

The only new app & was in use in the back ground - The 'Timely' App set to go off every 1/2 hour.
I just tried to find a log - I cannot. Looked all through settings.

What should I maybe do - or just pass on it as no big deal.
It works fine fully functional.

I reworded the search in Google - found others similar -
But most of them had repeated reboot only stoppable by pulling battery.

I always shut down & pull battery after any update.

z96Cobra

Reaction score
Was this a 1 time thing or does it happen every day at the same time?

bbtkd

Reaction score
Presuming this repeats every night, I would suspect a backup process/service of some type. Some providers like Verizon preinstall apps on your phone, and some could do backups nightly, probably things that sync to Google anyway. Samsung could even have something similar, or any number of apps that offer backups as a bonus. Could even be an app backing up its files to your SD card.

S

SFGate

Have seen this happen randomly on different phone models. Haven't been too concerned, yet.

OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Sorry About that - I didn't mean for the issue to only happen at 3am - or repeatedly.
So far only once.

z96Cobra

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about a one time event. Could've been a glitch that will never happen again.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
A single occurrence is nothing to worry about, and if your device resets often, then i would assume an app is linked to the operation, such as Google Drive, or Titanium Backup performing an update/restore/backup operation.
Firmware updates usually occur but once, unless the update failed.
Verizon has a sync. feature, but you must enable this, and supply a pass code to store for future sync. operations to occur.
Occasional resets are a good thing, and one instance of a reset is nothing to be concerned about.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Sorry About that - I didn't mean for the issue to only happen at 3am - or repeatedly.
So far only once.

The saying goes (for computers) that if it happened once, it never happened. This only means that with one occurrence you are unlikely to have sufficient information to find a cause, and that it may never repeat. An Android phone is essentially a Linux computer, with many processes interacting, so there is an endless number of ways things can interact and go awry, often only once. You could use something like OS Monitor to look at system logs, but those can be huge and some reset at reboot. If it repeats, and does so at the same time of day, then you're looking at something timer triggered.

OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Thanks for the feed back -
I always have to remind myself - you've upgraded from iPhone - get used it, but
it's nice to know all's fine.
I was not aware Linux was the main OS, I assumed it was part of PC in general & simply forced to work with my Mac.

On the other hand - it could happen while in lala land & never notice a restart.
Thanks Again