s4 or s3?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
For sure, definitely agree. Well either one will blow your mind coming from a TBolt. There really is minor difference between the 3 and 4, some may argue otherwise but I honestly don't think so. The leap between the GS2 and 3 was astounding, the leap between the 3 and 4 isn't even half of that. There are some rumored phones coming later this year as well that will be a big upgrade over both. But I understand with a Tbolt you probably wanna throw it out as soon as possible...

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think that the S4 has a HUGE advantage over the S3, I don't even consider them the same family of phone. The S4 of course has the Snapdragon Chipset, with a quad-core processor. Additionally, the memory speed us MUCH faster. The chipset alone changes everything. I would/did buy the S4.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So Mandy just curious but what are some of the things you would say make it a "huge" improvement over the S3? Yeah, yeah we know the hardware is improved. What are some performance differences you've noticed though? For me most apps still pretty much open instantly, apps like Netflix and Google Now load flawlessly, plenty of support and most bugs have been worked out. Little things like that.

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
For sure, definitely agree. Well either one will blow your mind coming from a TBolt. There really is minor difference between the 3 and 4, some may argue otherwise but I honestly don't think so. The leap between the GS2 and 3 was astounding, the leap between the 3 and 4 isn't even half of that. There are some rumored phones coming later this year as well that will be a big upgrade over both. But I understand with a Tbolt you probably wanna throw it out as soon as possible...

Yes your exactly right i am anxious to get a new phone its killing me. I am waiting for the folks who pre ordered the s4 so i can read their thoughts

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
I can't wait for mandys response lol. This is good stuff.

themuttt

Reaction score
the move from the Tbolt to the S3 is incredible, my wife did it and wishes she had done it earlier (the crappy OTA forced her hand). I am going from the Bionic to the S4 and am eagerly awaiting my phone tomorrow. One of the big things that pushed me to the S4 was how good the S3 seemed to be from my play time on it. I will say the Gorilla Glass 3 is a huge step up, being able to use the phone in gloves will come in handy on cold winter days.

If I had the S3, I think I'd pass on the S4, but if you are going from an old phone like the TBolt or Bionic, I would look only at the S4 at this point

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score

If I had the S3, I think I'd pass on the S4, but if you are going from an old phone like the TBolt or Bionic, I would look only at the S4 at this point

Give me your feedback once you play with the phone for a little while

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
I just read that the s3 is getting some software updates that the s4 has. Good for those who still own the s3

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I can't wait for mandys response lol. This is good stuff.

I guess the response never came. Was the huge difference nothing more than specs and not even looking at actual usage differences? I'm looking for an upgrade for my Inc2 next month and mainly debating between the S3 and the S4. The Inc2 runs everything fine that I use it for, so I would expect that the S3 would be more than enough for me for 2 years. According to the speed test results it's about 3X as fast as the Inc2. For the extra $150 I'm not seeing the difference between the S3 and S4. Forgetting just specs, what are the actual usage improvements with the S4? The extra 0.2" screen doesn't seem like much and the 1280x720 seems fine for my eyes.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I guess the response never came. Was the huge difference nothing more than specs and not even looking at actual usage differences? I'm looking for an upgrade for my Inc2 next month and mainly debating between the S3 and the S4. The Inc2 runs everything fine that I use it for, so I would expect that the S3 would be more than enough for me for 2 years. According to the speed test results it's about 3X as fast as the Inc2. For the extra $150 I'm not seeing the difference between the S3 and S4. Forgetting just specs, what are the actual usage improvements with the S4? The extra 0.2" screen doesn't seem like much and the 1280x720 seems fine for my eyes.

I went from the Bionic to the S4 and loved it, and I can live with the VZW 2GB limit as I don't stream. Two friends also on VZW are really choking on having to give up unlimited, so are considering used S3's. If a person has Verizon and must keep the unlimited plan, you can buy a used S3, or try to find a used S4 (yes some are already out there), or get a new line with an S4, switch the numbers between the phones, then switch the line with the old phone to a dumb phone so you can drop the data plan. You'll have your S4 with unlimited, but will have to carry that second line at $9.99/mo.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would still get the S4, and just use Wifi a lot more! Its that good of a phone IMHO.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I have the 3 and love it.. only wish it could change channels should could. Both are excellent phones.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I upgraded from a Nexus and still can't put this phone down after almost 2wks. It's a world of difference; screen, form factor, battery life, features, etc. all significantly better.

I did have the s3 for about a week, but didn't find it as a significant upgrade over my Nexus so I ended up getting rid of it. It was a very nice phone, no doubt, but I just didn't feel like it offered much more than what my Nexus had/did.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I went from the Bionic to the S4 and loved it, and I can live with the VZW 2GB limit as I don't stream. Two friends also on VZW are really choking on having to give up unlimited, so are considering used S3's. If a person has Verizon and must keep the unlimited plan, you can buy a used S3, or try to find a used S4 (yes some are already out there), or get a new line with an S4, switch the numbers between the phones, then switch the line with the old phone to a dumb phone so you can drop the data plan. You'll have your S4 with unlimited, but will have to carry that second line at $9.99/mo.

I'm confused about upgrades like this. I upgraded to my Inc2 12/19/11, using my wife's upgrade, so that extends the contract to 12/19/13. My line has an upgrade available since 4/26/12 and hers will have an upgrade available on 8/19/13. She has a basic phone. If I use my upgrade now, we would have both phones on contract for a smartphone. Could she still keep her basic phone or would she need to go to a smartphone and data plan until the 12/19/13 contract is up from the Inc2 upgrade?