S4 or moto x

jamjr74

Reaction score
OK I purchased a moto x with the intent on selling my s4 but am so torn on which device to keep. I know this is an s4 forum but what are your thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think it depends on what your use in your phone is. Do both phones address your requirements? Do the pros and cons of each fit your use and/or outweigh each other?

If I were in your shoes, I personally probably would stick with the s4. I have yet to actual use a Moto X, but just by specs alone, it seems very similar to what my Nexus used to be. Again, that's just me judging spec-wise, not real world use. Another thing that's going to sway my opinion is the s4 itself, snappy processor, big beautiful screen, removable sd card, and removable battery are all things that the s4 has spoiled me. Just the screen alone is probably enough reason for me to stick with the s4, but that's just me.

Weigh the pros and cons of each phone for your personal use and you'll figure it out.

GVLBob

Reaction score
If you compare the screens, do you see any difference in sharpness or color accuracy? The S4 might be sharper and have settings that produce better colors?

How much storage do you need for pictures or music? The S4 might be better suited if you have significant needs.

If the Moto X snappier and, if so, is this a big deal?

Are some of the special apps on either phone important features that you can't live without?

Do you see any differences in the phone's signal strengths?

Would you use the phone's camera a lot? If so, have you compared the quality and speed of focus of the two phones? The S4 is supposed to have the better camera, but might be slower to focus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
I have compared the phones quite a bit and it is a tuff choice to be honest. I find the screen to be better and sharper on the moto x which shocked me. It is less grainy and images are clearer on the x. Battery is a toss up but may be better on the s4. Camera is important to me and the s4's is better but the moto x is not bad either. Moto x is smoother with no lag at all. I have gotten use to the 5inch screen on the s4 so going smaller is tuff. Storage on the x is adequate for my useage but I do like having an SD and removable battery.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm leaving my Bionic next Saturday, and I'm planning to get the Samsung. It's really a case of YMMV. I was looking at the Droid Maxx too.

A lot of it is what you want out a phone. For example, I don't even root so having a locked or unlocked bootloader is not a deal breaker.

You really can't go wrong with either phone. Take a look at Comparison: Moto X vs. Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One vs. Nexus 4 ? Droid Life for a comparison.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I have had the S4 since June, and recently impulse bought the Moto X when they had the $60 off coupon. I did however end up taking the Moto X back and stuck with my S4. The Moto X is a great phone, but for me it was too much of a downgrade to be worth it.

Like you I love the screen size of the S4 and the soft buttons on the Moto X took up even more real estate off the smaller 4.7 inch screen. The fact there was only 16GB of memory with no option for an SD card was another downside. The camera on the X was nothing compared to the S4, which was a surprising downside because cameras are not usually a factor for me. And I missed the HD screen res, I thought I wouldn't but I indeed did.

While the Moto X is a snappy and great feeling phone in the hand, it had to go back to Verizon. Sooner or later they will unlock this new bootloader and I will be able to flash Cyanogen Mod to get the stock Google experience again.

Plus with the Moto X rumored to drop to $99 within the next three months even paying $139 for it was too much for me, especially with no Moto Maker available for Verizon. My final thoughts about the Moto X are that it is a perfect device for someone that has been sitting on a year old or older phone and wants a cheaper upgrade to a fantastic device. Yet, those of us that already have the S4, HTC One, or another newer device, the switch backwards is a hard one to sell.

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
I have had the S4 since June, and recently impulse bought the Moto X when they had the $60 off coupon. I did however end up taking the Moto X back and stuck with my S4. The Moto X is a great phone, but for me it was too much of a downgrade to be worth it.

Like you I love the screen size of the S4 and the soft buttons on the Moto X took up even more real estate off the smaller 4.7 inch screen. The fact there was only 16GB of memory with no option for an SD card was another downside. The camera on the X was nothing compared to the S4, which was a surprising downside because cameras are not usually a factor for me. And I missed the HD screen res, I thought I wouldn't but I indeed did.

While the Moto X is a snappy and great feeling phone in the hand, it had to go back to Verizon. Sooner or later they will unlock this new bootloader and I will be able to flash Cyanogen Mod to get the stock Google experience again.

Plus with the Moto X rumored to drop to $99 within the next three months even paying $139 for it was too much for me, especially with no Moto Maker available for Verizon. My final thoughts about the Moto X are that it is a perfect device for someone that has been sitting on a year old or older phone and wants a cheaper upgrade to a fantastic device. Yet, those of us that already have the S4, HTC One, or another newer device, the switch backwards is a hard one to sell.

I feel the same way. Think I'm sending the x back today and sticking with the s4! Thanks man

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

TvVoice

Reaction score
I have compared the phones quite a bit and it is a tuff choice to be honest. I find the screen to be better and sharper on the moto x which shocked me. It is less grainy and images are clearer on the x. Battery is a toss up but may be better on the s4. Camera is important to me and the s4's is better but the moto x is not bad either. Moto x is smoother with no lag at all. I have gotten use to the 5inch screen on the s4 so going smaller is tuff. Storage on the x is adequate for my useage but I do like having an SD and removable battery.

Sounds to me like you will either have to flip a coin or find another phone to consider. I know, it's tough! Good luck!!

OP
jamjr74

jamjr74

Reaction score
Well stuck with my s4. Moto x is heading back!

Galaxy S4!!!