Solved s4 no sim. can't download apps. can only used built in apps. whats up?

ghosty

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
I have an s4 with no sim card, the old service provider was us celluar. I'm only able to use apps that were built into the phone, explorer, youtube, etc. I cannot download new apps, I.e., netflix or hbogo. what can I do to have a functional smart phone? I only use it for netflix, youtube, hbo, I dont actually nedd it to operate as a phone. Thank you.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You can connect it to a wifi network, log in with a Google account, and then you should be able to download apps from the Play Store.

OP
G

ghosty

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
I did that. And netflix has been trying to download for about 3 hours. The progress bar keeps going and going. I recently reset the phone to factory and updated everything after that. Is there some mundane detail im missing?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would try clearing the data and cache of the Play Store app. Settings -- Applications -- all apps -- Play Store -- clear cache -- clear data.

Try logging out of your Google account and then setting it back up again if that doesn't work.

OP
G

ghosty

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
There were like 30 built in apps that were "running" or "updating" in the play store. There was an option to STOP them all so I did. And it literally took 1.5 seconds to download netflix. Thanks for the help.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Glad it worked. If you ever run into that kinda issue with any app, try clearing the cache of it first to see if that helps. If that doesn't take the next step and clear the data of it.